Page 1 of 2
I'm planning on buying a TT at some point, and was wondering what types of drive pedals work well with it. I've seen a lot of people suggest OCD for it; is the OCD good for a TT? Thoughts?
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
It really depends on what sort of tone you're going after and what exactly you're using it for.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It really depends on what sort of tone you're going after and what exactly you're using it for.

I guess I never specified. I would be using it either as a clean boost (which i know the OCD is good for) or most likely with a bit of drive and a volume boost to color and tighten it up a little bit. Mostly it would be used to get a higher gain thrash type tone (with boosted mids like Slayer). Would it be good for that?
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

... So basically, using it like a typical metalhead would use a Tubescreamer.

In which case, I don't really see why you just get a Green Rhino MkIV. It offers way more versatility than the OCD. Unless you really, really like how an OCD sounds, then I'd pick a GR every time.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
... So basically, using it like a typical metalhead would use a Tubescreamer.

In which case, I don't really see why you just get a Green Rhino MkIV. It offers way more versatility than the OCD. Unless you really, really like how an OCD sounds, then I'd pick a GR every time.

I guess because the OCD is cheaper and would work? IDK. Is the GR MkII that much better?

this is out of production but still can be found online. take a look at a T-Rex Crunchy Frog overdrive. it has a TS style overdrive combined with a seperate clean boost function (the 2 of course can be used together. the overdrive is very touch sensitive which makes it great for lead playing. the clean boost is adjustable as well. 
Quote by gogiregion
I guess because the OCD is cheaper and would work? IDK. Is the GR MkII that much better?

You want the GR MkIV, not the MkII. Where I live, You can get both at pretty much exactly the same price.

I think the MkIV is significantly better for the versatility alone. The 100HZ and 500HZ controls allow you to control how much the low end is tightened and how much the midrange is bumped. Or if you want, you can make the pedal produce significantly more low end and less mids, since the EQ's are active controls, not passive like a typical OD pedal. The OCD can't do anything like that.

The classic switch on the MkIV also lets you disable the EQ controls so that the pedal behaves identically to the original Green Rhino. Thus it functions in much the same fashion of a TS808, but with all the controls operating in wider ranges.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by diabolical
gogiregion I have a TT, best is the Budda Zendrive for me, but Sparkle Drive, Marshall Guvnor, Boss SD-1 all are good with it.

Is the Tube Screamer good with it? Have you tried it? Is the Green Rhino good? I just want to make sure that whatever I get is as good with it as possible. I'll check out the Zendrive.

Quote by gogiregion
Is the Tube Screamer good with it? Have you tried it? Is the Green Rhino good? I just want to make sure that whatever I get is as good with it as possible. I'll check out the Zendrive.

It's honestly really difficult to get an overdrive that wouldn't work for what you're going to use it for. There fundamentally aren't that many different ways to design an overdrive pedal. They generally fall into two basic camps of either driving the Opamp to asymmetrical clipping (Boss SD-1) or symmetrical clipping (Tubescreamer). And the overdrive pedals available on the market are mostly minor variations of those same basic designs. It's just that some have additional features for greater versatility than others.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It's really difficult to get an overdrive that wouldn't work. There fundamentally aren't that many different ways to design an overdrive pedal. They generally fall into two basic camps of either driving the Opamp to asymmetrical clipping (Boss SD-1) or symmetrical clipping (Tubescreamer). And the overdrive pedals available on the market are mostly minor variations of those same basic designs. It's just that some have additional features for greater versatility than others.

this is basically true. there are a couple of other variations like a Klon style overdrive but the TS and SD-1 are the main 2 styles. i have yet to find a tube amp that didn't like a TS so no worries there. personally i'd be more worried about what features i wanted out of my overdrive than whether it will work with that amp. they pretty much all will it's just a mattter of what you want control wise. since this is your first dip in the pool i'd suggest going with something tried and true and then later really going to the deep end. there are 100s of different (but often not really all that different) overdives out there in all price ranges. look at your needs and be realistic. a pedal like the OCD is great for metal but may not be the best option as a jack of all trades pedal. as i've mentioned i currently have 3  different overdrives and any of them can work for me in a pinch. the CM-2 has great tone controls, the T-Rex has the built in clean boost and is very touch sensitive (great for blues leads) and my mini TS knock off is cheap and does the job reasonably well which makes it great for casual practice and to keep in my guitar case for jams etc.  for you i would suggest keeping it fairly simple and go with one of the pedals recommended. 
Zendrive is pretty much a TS on steroids. It also has a mod switch which takes away the mid freq. slant and a clean boost.
The Sparkle drive has a clean parallel boost circuit which adds another option of goosing the front end, it is another TS clone with something extra which gives you more control.
The guvnor has mid sweepable eq and it is gainier in nature, like the Boss overdrive, but with the sweepable eq you can zero in better on freq you like to boost.
Quote by monwobobbo
this is basically true. there are a couple of other variations like a Klon style overdrive but the TS and SD-1 are the main 2 styles. i have yet to find a tube amp that didn't like a TS so no worries there. personally i'd be more worried about what features i wanted out of my overdrive than whether it will work with that amp. they pretty much all will it's just a mattter of what you want control wise. since this is your first dip in the pool i'd suggest going with something tried and true and then later really going to the deep end. there are 100s of different (but often not really all that different) overdives out there in all price ranges. look at your needs and be realistic. a pedal like the OCD is great for metal but may not be the best option as a jack of all trades pedal. as i've mentioned i currently have 3  different overdrives and any of them can work for me in a pinch. the CM-2 has great tone controls, the T-Rex has the built in clean boost and is very touch sensitive (great for blues leads) and my mini TS knock off is cheap and does the job reasonably well which makes it great for casual practice and to keep in my guitar case for jams etc.  for you i would suggest keeping it fairly simple and go with one of the pedals recommended. 

I keep getting overwhelmed by overdrive options. I know that the TS is good, and it's hard to tell differences over YouTube, and I can't really try things out in stores easily. I know that so many people suggest the TS, and fom what I've heard over YouTube, it sounds great. Earlier today I found some really good videos of people using a TS with the Tiny Terror, and it sounding amazing, and that really re-sparked my interest in using a TS with a TT.

gogiregion  then go for it. you have a long road ahead so don't sweat the overdrive thing to much now. you can go nuts with it. as long as you get a quality pedal then you won't be wasting your money.  i've got 3 now and had to say enough as there are so many options. 
Quote by gogiregion
I keep getting overwhelmed by overdrive options. I know that the TS is good, and it's hard to tell differences over YouTube, and I can't really try things out in stores easily. I know that so many people suggest the TS, and fom what I've heard over YouTube, it sounds great. Earlier today I found some really good videos of people using a TS with the Tiny Terror, and it sounding amazing, and that really re-sparked my interest in using a TS with a TT.

The Green Rhino pedals are basically an Ibanez TS808 with all the aforementioned additional versatility features. So if you like the TS pedals, you're gonna love the GR.

I don't necessarily agree with getting a more basic pedal to start off with tbh. Why settle with something basic that you may get bored with after you've gained some experience, than just getting a great OD pedal right out of the gate that lets you cover more tones with its additional versatility? That exact same thing happened to me when I first started out with OD pedals. I bought a TS9, eventually got bored of it, got a GR and it totally kicked the TS9 off my board. Made me wonder what took me so long to upgrade.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The Green Rhino pedals are basically an Ibanez TS808 with all the aforementioned additional versatility features. So if you like the TS pedals, you're gonna love the GR.

I don't necessarily agree with getting a more basic pedal to start off with tbh. Why settle with something basic that you may get bored with after you've gained some experience, than just getting a great OD pedal  right out of the gate that lets you cover more tones with its additional versatility? That exact same thing happened to me when I first started out with OD pedals. I bought a TS9, eventually got bored of it, got a GR and it totally kicked the TS9 off my board. Made me wonder what took me so long to upgrade.

not really saying to buy a basic pedal just not to go crazy with the zillion overdrives out there. the GR is easily  available for instance which is more to my point. while the Zendrive mentioned is a really good pedal it's also a fair bit pricier that a CM-2 or a GR. 
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I don't necessarily agree with getting a more basic pedal to start off with tbh. Why settle with something basic that you may get bored with after you've gained some experience, than just getting a great OD pedal right out of the gate that lets you cover more tones with its additional versatility? That exact same thing happened to me when I first started out with OD pedals. I bought a TS9, eventually got bored of it, got a GR and it totally kicked the TS9 off my board. Made me wonder what took me so long to upgrade.

The TS Mini is WAY cheaper. It's a TS-808 with the original chip (not the new relplacement chip that's in the "regular" new models, it's the one in the "vintage correct" models), but in a smaller size, true bypass (which the GR has IIRC), and a lot cheaper. If anything, I can use it SRV style and use it to boost the GR if I get one (he would sometimes use a TS as a boost pedal to drive… another TS pedal). So if I end up getting the GR, I'll still have a use for it.

Quote by gogiregion
The TS Mini is WAY cheaper. It's a TS-808 with the original chip (not the new relplacement chip that's in the "regular" new models, it's the one in the "vintage correct" models), but in a smaller size, true bypass (which the GR has IIRC), and a lot cheaper. If anything, I can use it SRV style and use it to boost the GR if I get one (he would sometimes use a TS as a boost pedal to drive… another TS pedal). So if I end up getting the GR, I'll still have a use for it.

ths may be true but if you can swing the extra $50 i'd go with the pedal that provides more versatility. the GR can do every thing the TS can and provdes you with more tonal options on top of that. best bang for your buck is a wise choice when possible. down the road you may need the mini at it will be there and still cheap. just sayin  

oh and i have to mention that the Budda Zendrive is only a little more expensive than the GR. thougth it was more expensive, my bad. 
Speaking as a member of the Million Pedal Club*, most guitarists' tastes evolve over time, and as that happens, we buy more gear. The odds that you will find THE overdrive pedal that will work for you forever is close to nil. I hear some people even sell the pedals they stop using. ( )

So as long as you buy quality gear, don't sweat the options too much. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

* OK, exaggerating by a couple orders of magnitude...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I haven't used it with a TT specifically, but I always recommend the Fulltone Fulldrive Mosfet 2, especially with Orange.  It worked great with my old AD30 and my Rockerverb 50.  Lots of tonal options, too, with a three way voicing switch and the option to used either a mosfet clipping stage or a normal one (which I think is diode clipping).  You may want to look into the Fulldrive 3 if this sounds interesting to you, too, as I believe it has a bit more flexibility regarding the Boost channel.
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
The OCD does have a High Peak and Low Peak switch, the most common complaint about the OCD is muddy sound.

Here's something, I bought a Joyo "Vintage Overdrive" YATSC (yet another tubescreamer clone) and I have to say for $22 off ebay it's not bad at all, though it is very noisy with single coils.
i didn't like my OCD with my dual terror.

i say fulltone fulldrive 2 mosfet. $80 used.  more than anything else will be as far as flexibility,
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by gogiregion

There isn't much need to boost a GR since the GR can deliver much more gain than a regular TS, but sure. If it makes you happier to get the TS-mini, go for it.

Also this whole thing about these TS-mini pedals having the coveted chip that the TS808 and TS9 don't is untrue. All of them have the same JRC4558 opamp AFAIK.

I have my doubts why you'd want to stack multiple overdrive pedals over an amp like a Dark Terror though. That amp already has lots of gain, it doesn't need to be stacked with multiple boosts.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There isn't much need to boost a GR since the GR can deliver much more gain than a regular TS, but sure. If it makes you happier to get the TS-mini, go for it.

Also this whole thing about these TS-mini pedals having the coveted chip that the TS808 and TS9 don't is untrue. All of them have the same JRC4558 opamp AFAIK.

I have my doubts why you'd want to stack multiple overdrive pedals over an amp like a Dark Terror though. That amp already has lots of gain, it doesn't need to be stacked with multiple boosts.

Some models of the TS9 and 808 don't have that chip. Some do. And I was planning on getting a Tiny Terror, not a Dark Terror, as it nails the classic rock tone better, and that's mostly what I play, but I like to play thrash and Sabbath a lot too (though with Sabbath i use my other overdrive as a treble boster, it's best ise). It was actually designed to get a good AC/DC & Sex Pistols tone. That was the main inspiration, hence why the TT is ao good for classic rock with a vintage Marshall esc tone.

Quote by gogiregion
Some models of the TS9 and 808 don't have that chip. Some do.

This was true for the Tubescreamers of the 80's, but not the modern reissues. AFAIK, they all come with the JRC4558 now. Which is the one the corksniffers gush over the most.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I'd stick with the classic circuits. Look into the Boss SD-1 or TS-9 or similar variant, like a Maxon. They have been used with great results with countless guitarists of all genres. But like it's been said before, it's really dependent on what tone you're after, IMO it's better to utilize the stock preamp on the amp and boost to taste with a pedal, than use a $60 pedal to change the character of the amp to something that it's not. 
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
This was true for the Tubescreamers of the 80's, but not the modern reissues. AFAIK, they all come with the JRC4558 now. Which is the one the corksniffers gush over the most.

Ah, okay. That makes sense.

Quote by jasonbecker551
I'd stick with the classic circuits. Look into the Boss SD-1 or TS-9 or similar variant, like a Maxon. They have been used with great results with countless guitarists of all genres. But like it's been said before, it's really dependent on what tone you're after, IMO it's better to utilize the stock preamp on the amp and boost to taste with a pedal, than use a $60 pedal to change the character of the amp to something that it's not. 

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I actually am not a big fan of the SD-1, though. I thought of it as a bit less "present" or something like that. I can't remember.

Quote by trashedlostfdup
i didn't like my OCD with my dual terror.

i say fulltone fulldrive 2 mosfet. $80 used.  more than anything else will be as far as flexibility,

What do you think of the FD 3 vs the FD 2
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
It's honestly really difficult to get an overdrive that wouldn't work for what you're going to use it for. There fundamentally aren't that many different ways to design an overdrive pedal. They generally fall into two basic camps of either driving the Opamp to asymmetrical clipping (Boss SD-1) or symmetrical clipping (Tubescreamer). And the overdrive pedals available on the market are mostly minor variations of those same basic designs. It's just that some have additional features for greater versatility than others.

This is not entirely true. Neither of those circuits work by clipping the opamps. They use clipping diodes. Apart from varying the configuration and type of diodes for symmetrical/asymmetrical clipping, you can also move clipping diodes from the feedback loop of the opamp [ts/sd1 style] to ground [like the mxr dist+]. Or you can replace the diodes with other things like mosfets.

You can generate clipping from the opamp itself though [like the crowther hot cake (rats also do this but they also have diode clipping)]. Similarly, whilst they utilize opamps and diodes for clipping I wouldn't really put the bluesbreaker, king of tone, or V1 marshall pedals in the same categories as any of the above.

You can also forgo opamps entirely and use transistors instead. Or you can forgo both diodes and opamps. Catalinbread and others sell pedals that are basically recreations of classic tube amp designs replacing the valves with transistors. Many don't use diodes or opamps at all.
Quote by monwobobbo
this is basically true. there are a couple of other variations like a Klon style overdrive but the TS and SD-1 are the main 2 styles. 

The klon isn't really that different. Pretty complex circuit, but at its heart it's basically an opamp based clipper such as the mxr dist+.
What's interesting is that it splits the signal into three - two clean and one that goes through the clipping circuit. They are eq'ed separately and the mix controlled by the gain pot.
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at May 2, 2017,
Quote by mulefish
This is not entirely true. Neither of those circuits work by clipping the opamps. They use clipping diodes. Apart from varying the configuration and type of diodes for symmetrical/asymmetrical clipping, you can also move clipping diodes from the feedback loop of the opamp [ts/sd1 style] to ground [like the mxr dist+]. Or you can replace the diodes with other things like mosfets.

You can generate clipping from the opamp itself though [like the crowther hot cake (rats also do this but they also have diode clipping)]. Similarly, whilst they utilize opamps and diodes for clipping I wouldn't really put the bluesbreaker, king of tone, or V1 marshall pedals in the same categories as any of the above.

You can also forgo opamps entirely and use transistors instead. Or you can forgo both diodes and opamps. Catalinbread and others sell pedals that are basically recreations of classic tube amp designs replacing the valves with transistors. Many don't use diodes or opamps at all.

The klon isn't really that different. Pretty complex circuit, but at its heart it's basically an opamp based clipper such as the mxr dist+.
What's interesting is that it splits the signal into three - two clean and one that goes through the clipping circuit. They are eq'ed separately and the mix controlled by the gain pot.

That's interesting about the Klon. I didn't know that.

Quote by 33db
Klons cost an arm and a leg, are we talking klon clones?

I honestly don't know. I mean, it doesn't really matter when talking about its circut, what it does, and how it sounds. Honestly though, they're not worth it considering that there's good Klones out there.

Quote by gogiregion
I honestly don't know. I mean, it doesn't really matter when talking about its circut, what it does, and how it sounds. Honestly though, they're not worth it considering that there's good Klones out there.

Yeah if you're lucky you can get a Klon Centaur for $500, or if you got the cash spend $1200 to $2000 which is just absurd for an OD pedal.
I checked out the clones and the most often mentioned in forums are the Tumnus, the Soul Food, and the J Rockett Archer.
The thing is, when I watch youtube videos of demos with these things the sound of them varies quite a bit, one demo using a Suhr amp was heaven, but I suspect it was more the amp than the pedal.
Another using a Fender Super Sonic sounded really thin and needley.
I suspect holy grail "tone" is a synergy between guitar PUPs, amp and pedal.
Last edited by 33db at May 2, 2017,
Quote by 33db
Yeah if you're lucky you can get a Klon Centaur for $500, or if you got the cash spend $1200 to $2000 which is just absurd for an OD pedal.
I checked out the clones and the most often mentioned in forums are the Tumnus, the Soul Food, and the J Rockett Archer.
The thing is, when I watch youtube videos of demos with these things the sound of them varies quite a bit, one demo using a Suhr amp was heaven, but I suspect it was more the amp than the pedal.
Another using a Fender Super Sonic sounded really thin and needley.
I suspect holy grail "tone" is a synergy between guitar PUPs, amp and pedal.

I agree. The best tone possible is when tge guitar, pedals, amp, and playing style match up perfectly to create the greatest tone ever. Now, what complements another piece of gear is really subjective, but IMO it's where it makes up for a problem in another. Like using a Fender amp, Fender guitar, and a Tube Screamer to make up for the lack of mids. That was just the first example of gear that creates a beautiful sound when combined because if making up for another weakness.

I'm not too sure a Klon would be the best pedal to be used if you're trying to nail metal tones. I mean, it could be used in a pinch, but I don't think it was originally intended for that purpose. 

A regular tube screamer would be a good choice, lots of options out there. I use a Seymour Duncan TS-808, which is just a regular overdrive, but it's got EQ controls for bass, mids and treble as well. I find that can help dial in a better tone in front of my Kemper, but honestly, a regular tube screamer is all you need. 

Best option is to go to a store with your rig and try a bunch of pedals in front to figure out which one suits you the most. 

The Green Rhino sounds like an interesting pedal, I hadn't even heard of it. 
Strandberg Boden 8-String Ibanez RG2228
Fender HM Strat ESP Horizon-II Five-String Bass
Roland TD-30K Mesa Boogie Mark V:25
EVH5150III 50-Watt Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Access Virus TI Snow Polyend Perc Pro
One of the rhythms and first two solos (intro and 1:10) is an Orange Tiny Terror with Boss SD-1. The Boss was modified though so I am not sure how far from the original, I think it was a bit less scratchy:
https://soundcloud.com/descentintomadness/to-each-his-own
Page 1 of 2