I've wanted an explorer style guitar forever, but the only thing that has stopped me is my left handedness. I'm wanting a nice guitar that would last. I can't seem to find an explorer style guitar on reverb or Any mother site. If I bought a diy kit I wouldn't keep anything but the wood. I would have to route a cavity because I want a Floyd rose, which would also mean I'd need a locking nut, and the neck may not fit one. I would upgrade all of the pickups tuners etc. I just want to know if the wood is of any actual quality In any of these builds.
You get what you pay for with the cheap kits.

Which kits in particular are you looking at?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I would go with Warmoth Nomad (based on Explorer body).  I've heard nothing but good reviews on the quality of Warmoth parts, and you can get everything customized to left hand, get the pup routes the way you want, order it with the Floyd Rose route, etc.  Then get all the neck and all the hardware for it too.  Might be a bit pricey, but worth it.  Here is the link - http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Nomad/Default.aspx http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Bodies/Nomad/Default.aspx

I ordered a rainbow chrome Floyd Rose for my last makeover mod - looks awesome.  

Stratocasters are the most perfect aesthetic design ordained by God after the McLaren F1, Nudibranchs and the small of a womans back.
Quote by guitarkid8
More pictures of that guitar, please ^

yes, please. It looks beautiful 
I think theres a special connection with a guitar you build yourself. If you cant find what you want at your price point try creating it. If nothing else youll have a fun project.
Quote by N8dagreat3
I think theres a special connection with a guitar you build yourself. If you cant find what you want at your price point try creating it. If nothing else youll have a fun project.

I agree.  After doing my mod, I am currently building from scratch, nearly.  I found a local luthier to build my necks to my spec, and I am doing the easy, fun part - sculpting and finishing the bodies.   But I have a background in high-end furniture building, so I'm cheating a little.  

Here's more pics. 

Stratocasters are the most perfect aesthetic design ordained by God after the McLaren F1, Nudibranchs and the small of a womans back.
This is strange seeing someone with the same problem as myself lol. 

I am also left handed and wanted an explorer, I just decided to do it myself. I've heard lots of bad things about kits so I just started learning and learning and got the tools and materials and did it myself. I am currently 17 and started with this sorta "dream" about 3 years ago, most of that however was just learning I started getting tools and supplies around the summer of 2016. And I started the actual build right around the beginning of this year.

Here's a pic of its current state. It plays perfectly (surprisingly haha) sounds like a guitar lol. All that's left is to do a finish.

If you want you can check out my build post, search for "84'-ish Gibson Explorer Build" or I think you can find it through my profile. I have the entire build so far documented there. There's also comments from other people who gave me great advice. 

Anyways, I think if you want a lefty explorer that will be good, ya kinda just gotta do it yourself. 

If you need any help just ask, I've got the templates, dimensions, all the info I could possibly find on it. And I'd be more than happy to show you how I did all of it.

Peace  
StratsRdivine

Mr. Blazy, that is some fine work.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
If you really want it to last, want the Floyd Rose and whatever else, and have the money, find a local luthier to build one for you.

If you can lower your expectations and be realistic with your specs/budget, build one from scratch. Nice guitars don't come cheap or easy, whether you're paying with cold cash or experience and tools.
Thanks, Danny!  How about some real kudos to this 17 year old that built his explorer from scratch.  I was doing award winning woodcarving when I was in high school thirty some years ago, and that got me into high-end furniture design that led me to where I am now.  Doing a full guitar at 17 with propel this guy into greater things for sure. 
StratsRdivine

Palpaterpintine did quite the job, no question, but I know dichroic glass. Got lots from amateur crafters and from established pros. I know from looking at your pix that that is a hell of a piece.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

dannyalcatraz Cool that you are aware of dichroic glass.  Most are not.  Ever wanted to inlay it into a neck?  This reply is pretty well buried in this thread (and replied to you, so it might not show up to others) so hopefully the mods don't flag it as spam, but my rep and myself invented a machineable inlay product that is identical to dichroic glass, and actually more colorful, yet is fully polymer based, so it lasers great and is half the cost of dichroic glass.  PRS uses it as well as Fender Custom Shop (the thinner version that my rep makes from my optical core film).  I have recently developed manufacturing techniques that allow it to be laminated in acrylic, for lower cost and deeper topography for full guitar faces, knob and pup covers, etc, which is why I am embarking on these builds for the purpose of a feasability study.  These guitars are not for sale, as I will be doing shows with them for promoting the material.  The material may not ever be for sale, actually, because it is so difficult to make full faces with due to expansion / contraction issues, so bonding to bodies require special fastening that allows movement.  But its great for lasering into pickguards, pup covers, knobs, backplates, effects pedal plates, etc.  

Then, while developing the dichroic laminated burl acrylic, I inadvertently invented this back textured, back painted acrylic sheet as well, which perfectly complements the dichro burl laminate.  So my new guitars will have the wild backpainted acrylic faces, with the dichro burl inlayed into the neck like below.  Doing a full face in Fire Burl right now (bottom shot).  

Last edited by StratsRdivine at May 3, 2017,
StratsRdivine

Fan-freaking-tastic!

This thread reminds me that when dichroic paint came out, Mercedes offered it as an option, I think on just one model. The paint job cost as much as the rest of the car.

StratsRdivine 

I think that a machinable dichroic material is a great idea.
Tony Done

Minor pedantic quibble- it wasn't "dichroic" paint, it was "interference" paint. As I understand, just like the paints, dichcroic* glass uses interference to create its colors, but the paints use the more general term in part to avoid confusion. Who'd buy a car with a glass paint job?

And yeah, that use didn't last long- if your car needed refinishing, you couldn't just do a spot correction- the entire car had to be redone in order to have the repair be invisible. Even the well-heeled balk at certain expenses...

* as well as trichroic and pleochroic

I can't reiterate enough that, if you're serious about building something that'll last and isn't junk, save up the extra cash and go with Warmoth. You'll hit about the $800 US mark or so depending on what you put in post body and neck, but it won't be a cheese kit.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Tony Done 
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Tony Done

Minir pedantic quibble- it wasn't "dichroic" paint, it was "interference" paint.  As I understand, just like the paints, dichcroic* glass uses interference to create its colors, but the paints use the more general term in part to avoid confusion.  Who'd buy a car with a glass paint job?

And yeah, that use didn't last long- if your car needed refinishing, you couldn't just do a spot correction- the entire car had to be redone in order to have the repair be invisible.  Even the well-heeled balk at certain expenses...

* as well as trichroic and pleochroic

So the good news is that you are both right (at the expense of thoroughly hijacking this thread).  I was a 100% solids coatings chemist for four years, specializing in metallics and color-changing pigments with two patents in polymer science, so I know a thing or two, and you will find the following quite interesting:

Dichroic is one of many terms to describe coatings or surfaces that have multiple micro layering that cause interference between layers tuned to the thickness of a specific wavelength of light, thus reflecting opposite wavelengths and transmitting the specific wavelength (color).  The color shifting effect is when the line of sight distance between the interfering layers at right angles vs skew angles allows phase cancellation / transmission of varying wavelengths (colors) while angle of view changes.  Not iridescence (another story - basically one interfering  layer). 

Here is what is interesting, if you didn't follow the above:

I fell in love with those paints when I first saw them, and met the guy that brought the pigments into this country from Germany, to set up Flex / Chromaflair pigments, which are used in DuPont Chromalusion and BASF Mystic - the paint jobs Tony is referring to.  I used to buy them at $5,000.00 per gallon (1200 per quart - 2 qt minimum order), and still have my two quarts.  The Chromaflair pigments are the actual metal deposition layers of interference that have been coated  (multi-million $ Vac chamber) onto acetate sheet, then the acetate is solvent melted off of the micro nanomater thick metal oxide layer, then its ground into pigment, thus the high cost.   

Just a few years ago, they figured out how to apply metal depositon to actual glass platelets called borosilicate, and I found an importer where I can get these color-changing boros for 1/30th of the cost of Chromalusion.  I mix them into my own clear base, which is what you see on the "Dune" and the "Flame" guitar faces above, so actually, Danny, these high-end coatings really actually ARE glass.   When I add these pigments to my base, they sink to the bottom rather quickly due to the weight of the glass (borosilicate), so I have to constantly agitate the spray gun while I am spraying.  

This is not to be confused with the "Fire Burl" photo though.  That is my laminate in which I use multi-layer polymer films that achieve the dichroic effect because the films have hundreds of co-extruded microlayers that interfere exactly the same way, but are about 5 bucks a square foot (raw films before I pattern them). 

Thats the abbreviated explanation.  You wouldn't believe the description I heard from the Flex / Chromaflair guy.   
$5k/gal?