I want to put pickups in a hss guitar and I want them to be high output as I plan to play metal with them. I'd settle for medium output pickups. I just need some ideas.
What's your amp?

There are millions of pickups out there that are high output. What exactly are you looking for tonally? What is the guitar in question? Why are the current pickups not doing that you feel new ones will magically completely change? How do you know it's the pickups that are actually causing the problem, and not the amp/cabinet/pedals you're using?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
T00DEEPBLUE the pickups are from a cheap ibanez from the 90s Im actually rebuilding the guitar basically. it has a volume and tone. My amp is a Marshall dsl40c and I am in love with the thing. I already have one guitar this is basically a project guitar that I want to sound great. The pickups are not even labeled and may be different from the ones i saw were used for that specific model. The model is like a precourser to the rg series. I hope this info helps.
That's nice. But it still doesn't answer the question of what exactly you're looking for tonally. Do you want lots of versatility? Do you want pickups that are higher output but cover a lot of ground, or pickups specific for one particular style? What is that style?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
T00DEEPBLUE im looking pickups that can cover ground. I like Judas Priest and Metallica. Those are 2 sounds I'd like to mimic. I also like pantera and that chuginess. As for modern bands I like lamb of god. I was thinking a mix between a Metallica and lamb of god sound would be perfect for me.
skyblazer117 If you want to cover ground, then maybe get a Duncan SH-6 and some Duncan STK1's for the middle and neck.

To be honest though, your amp isn't ideal for those kinds of tones imo.

Bear in mind as well the cost of these new pickups vs the value of the guitar itself. If you want to get as much bang for the buck possible, then it makes no financial sense to put a set of pickups in a guitar when the set themselves cost more than the guitar did.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The GFS Crunchy Rail (Humbucker) and Lil KIllers (single coil sized humbuckers) would be a great budget friendly high output set for you to check out.  I know they are versatile and cover a lot of ground, especially for classic Tharsh, Heavy Metal, Hair Metal and modern metal.  Plus they all sound great split for Straty single coil tones.  

EDIT:
I should of been clearer with my post.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at May 2, 2017,
T00DEEPBLUEI agree somewhat but if the guitar is a good player even if it is low value it's not like the pickups have to remain in it forever.

skyblazer117 if you put expensive pups in it be sure to keep the other set so you can pull your good set out in the future if you decide to sell it or just get a better guitar that could benefit from them!

I keep the stock pups when I upgrade my guitars and pull the upgrades out when I sell them. Used guitars are usually worth more if they are stock anyway, I know this does not apply here if you are building a parts guitar but good advice for the future.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at May 2, 2017,
As stated above, while the DSL40C is a great amp, I wouldn't put it at the top of the list for the type of music you're looking to play.  Your amp is going to be your main vehicle for tone.  I play a lot of hair and thrash metal.  I personally like the James Brown designed and voiced amps like the 5150/6505 and XXX.  

It wouldn't be wise to spend more on the pickups than the guitar is worth.  However, I LOVE the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop RTM for metal, particularly the types I play.  It's designed for a more Hair style, but I find it works great for Thrash as well, much better than the JB it was designed after.

I don't have a ton of experience with them, but you might want to look into Dragonfire pickups.  They're very inexpensive comparatively and have decent reviews.  I picked up a Hot Rails style pickup from them for like $10.  I like it a lot.  Sounds A LOT like a Seymour Duncan '59.  If its any indication of their tone, I'd try them again.
do you use an od pedal as a boost with the marshall? if you don't already, that will likely help more than pickups for heavier tones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm thinking- as are others seemingly- that the tonal versatility you seek will more likely be found in a different amp as opposed to new pickups. you might still need/want different pickups, but prioritizing a different amp seems the way to go.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I know I stated I wanted to mimic those times but I'm going to back track a little. What I'm really after is just a good set of high output pickups. I was liking the Duncan distortion paired with 2 hot strat pickups. The guitar itself basically needed all new parts the neck was broken beyond repair and the trem was bent (the actual trem plate not the arm or the block).
Quote by skyblazer117
Xander_X since my guitar is hss what dragon fire pups would you recommend to use for high output single coils

I honestly do not know.  My only experience is the one "Hot Rails" variant of theirs I have tried.  I'm very happy with it, but I don't know if I got lucky.  I have heard more good reviews of them than bad, but that's about all the information I can give you about them.  I'm sure that with just a little bit of Googling, you can find the answer to this question.
Affordable used pickups can be had all day long on eBay and the like!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by skyblazer117
I know I stated I wanted to mimic those times but I'm going to back track a little. What I'm really after is just a good set of high output pickups. I was liking the Duncan distortion paired with 2 hot strat pickups. The guitar itself basically needed all new parts the neck was broken beyond repair and the trem was bent (the actual trem plate not the arm or the block).

The Distortion sounds great with a pair of SSL-5s, or even 2 Hot Rails neck models. 
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I'm thinking- as are others seemingly- that the tonal versatility you seek will more likely be found in a different amp as opposed to new pickups. you might still need/want different pickups, but prioritizing a different amp seems the way to go.

yeah, that's definitely worth clarifying- getting the new amp is the priority, but once you get the new amp you may well find that you still also want new pickups.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc I plan on getting a new amp in the future but again was looking to get new pickups as the ones that came with the guitar were nothing special and I would rather have a guitar that can fully function with my current amp than spend all my money on an amp and still only have a painted guitar body. If that makes any sense.
yeah. and you also have to judge each case on its own merits, if the pickups truly are terrible, and you're a fair bit away from affording the amp, then gettign the pickups first might well be the sensible way to do it. Just most of the time, for most people, getting the amp first makes more sense (it's usually easier to match pickups to the amp than vice-versa).

EDIT: it goes without saying that i've bought pickups before i had a good amp.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know it sounds counterintuitive, but if the amp is the real problem, buying the better pickups first actually pushes your eventual solution further away in time.

That said, we can't hear your stuff- at least, not as YOU do- and we don't know your finances & market. It could be you can find a killer deal on pickups that you simply can't pass up.

(That happened to me and my most recent amp purchase: buying a $3000 guitar for under $500 cost me a couple opportunities on some god amps.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

dannyalcatraz I do not think the amp is the problem. The pickups sounded dead and just really buzzy and not good. I already have some ideas on good amps to get after I finish the guitar
To be sure, have you tried other guitars through that amp?

dannyalcatraz yes I have a Gibson with burstbuckers that sound great through the amp. I also had a friend run his guitar through it at one point and the amp was just amazing
Fair enough! Sounds like pickups- or something else in that particular guitar- is the source of your tonal woes.

dannyalcatraz yea. I think I have the pickups I want all picked out as well which is good. I didn't know Seymour Duncan had a pickup pairing application. Seeing as this entire thread wouldn't even exist if I had known that Seymour Duncan had that in the first place.
Tesla pickups disappeared for a little while, but they're back with new ownership. With the Singaporean dollar being worth @72¢, they can be a bargain.
http://www.svguitars.com/categories/Pickups/Guitar-Pickups/Tesla/

I used a VR-Extreme HB and a pair of OPUS-S1 singlecoils in a custom HSS guitar. Even though they're inexpensive and made in Singapore, they did a great job at delivering the 80's metal (HB) and ballad/pop (SC) tones I wanted from that guitar. And the luthier in question used an identical set for a similar guitar for himself.

Other HBs in their line are hotter or lower output, so there are tonal options to be had.