Hey guys, I need some help tabbing out an 1/8 rest but I have no idea what to put in those spaces... I thought putting an x would suffice, but I don't want to make any assumptions. Thanks in advance! (indicated at the down arrow)

Gtr I                   ↓
   H..             S S   E E E Q   E E E
e|---------------------|-----------------|
B|-8-------------------|---5-6-8---6-5---|
G|-----------------5-5-|---------------7-|
D|---------------------|-----------------|
A|---------------------|-----------------|
E|---------------------|-----------------|
|
| Gtr II
|  E   E E E E E E E     E E E E E E E E
e|-----------3---------|---------3-------|
B|-------1-----1---1---|-----1-----1---1-|
G|-----0---0-----0-----|---0---0-----0---|
D|---------------------|-----------------|
A|-2-------------------|-3---------------|
E|---------------------|-----------------|
Last edited by iceburst at May 2, 2017,
I would prefer having the beats and subdivisions written above the tab. Like this:

1   2   3   4  &     1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &
e|--------------------|-----------------|
B|-8------------------|---5-6-8---6-5---|
G|----------------5-5-|---------------7-|
D|--------------------|-----------------|
A|--------------------|-----------------|
E|--------------------|-----------------|

This way you will instantly see which notes fall on the beat/in between the beats (and this way also makes it a lot easier to figure out the rhythm - I have never liked the way rhythm is notated on tabs), and this way there really is no need to use rests. But if you want to specify that it should be a rest, maybe come up with some kind of a symbol for it. I wouldn't suggest using an "x" because that already means muting/ghost note.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Wow all this time I've never thought about using the most common way of subdividing and its counting... This'll definitely come in handy for this tab, thanks so much MaggaraMarine!!
Quote by iceburst
Wow all this time I've never thought about using the most common way of subdividing and its counting... This'll definitely come in handy for this tab, thanks so much MaggaraMarine!!

Yeah, I think this way the rhythm is really easy to figure out and you don't even need to know standard rhythmic notation to be able to read it. At least I find the note values written above the tab pretty difficult to read, even though I'm used to reading standard notation (then again, I never use tabs to figure out rhythms - but if I did, I would definitely prefer having the beats and subdivisions written above the tab).

I think this is just a much better visual representation of the rhythm (if it's not possible to use standard notation).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Definitely agree that this S E Q stuff above tabs looks horrible. 1 & 2 etc is better, but when I do text tabs I try to write them so they're spaced out in a way that shows the rhythm without needing to write it explictly. Of course that's not always so easy / there are limitations with text tabs.

As far as rests go, there isn't a universally recognised way of indicating them (in fact I rarely see anyone bother putting them). In some situations you might be able to use a staccato indication to achieve a similar effect.
Something I'll sometimes do is literally put r e s t within the tab, e.g. for your tab :
e|--------------------|-----------------|
B|-8------------------|-r-5-6-8---6-5---|
G|----------------5-5-|-e-------------7-|
D|--------------------|-s---------------|
A|--------------------|-t---------------|
E|--------------------|-----------------|
Last edited by NSpen1 at May 3, 2017,