I have a xotic ep booster going into a behringer to800(replace soon for ibanez ts9 modded to a ts800)

My question is there even any point doing it? the behringer already pushes the amp but so does the xotic?
This is called stacking and it's popular, nothing wrong with it at all. You use the screamer+amp as your rhythm tone, and push with the EP for either solo gain or just heavier distortion assuming that's what you want to do.  
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Nothing wrong with stacking overdrives and TS style pedals actually stack quite well - a couple of boutique builders even build two modded tubescreamers in one box. I'm pretty sure SRV stacked tubescreamers for his tone.
My prefered method is to set one up for rhythm tones and the other for basically a footswitchable lead boost. 

Just so you know, the EP boost does the tubescreamer thing quite well - at it's heart it's basically a modified TS with a different tonestack. Don't let that deter you if you like it though. I used an AC boost with a tubescreamer for a while with great success - and the EP and AC boost are pretty similar.

In general though, I'd prefer to have a more transparent od to pair with a mid boost one because you cover a bit more ground that way. The AC is more transparent then the EP boost for instance. Or a lower gain pedal and a higher gain.

You could also try to stack them to get a nice heavy tone. The TS cuts a lot of bass, so sounds tight. If you follow it with the EP boost you should be able to dial back in some low end whilst retaining that tightness. I'd probably use the TS set relatively clean for this, followed by the EP on a more mid gain setting if doing this.

What guitar/amp do you use? And what styles of music do you play?
RIP Gooze

cats
mulefish

As I recall, the discontinued Visual Sound Double Trouble was a double TS. It got replaced by TrueTone* VS-XO dual OD, but now only one ide is a TS- the other side is a Nobels.

* Visual Sound's current name
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
dannyalcatraz 
Yep, the t-rex alberta 2 is the same. Pretty sure one side might use different clipping diodes, but the difference is slight. On the cheaper side, the GFS twin overdrive is another, it's second side is modded for more gain though. Plenty of smaller boutique guys do them too.
RIP Gooze

cats
Last edited by mulefish at May 3, 2017,
mulefish

Thanks for that info! I like the T-Rex stuff I own or have tried, but know nothing of the Alberta. Now it's on my radar!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
dannyalcatraz 
No worries, T-rex pedals are great - I really love my mudhoney.

I've also heard that the old TC electronic drive pedals were made by T-rex and were the same circuits. If this is true, the vintage overdrive is the same as the alberta.
RIP Gooze

cats
mulefish thank you for the wealth of information this cleared alot of things for me about the pedals!

I use a Synyster gates custom to a Blackstar Ht5 , genre wise usually rock and metal

The pickups on the guitar are very high output so it might be overkill already to boost it
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
This is called stacking and it's popular, nothing wrong with it at all. You use the screamer+amp as your rhythm tone, and push with the EP for either solo gain or just heavier distortion assuming that's what you want to do.  

yep.

you can also do it the other way round- use the clean boost for rhythm and the ts for lead. I don't use a clean boost as such, but i use a timmy set up in a similar fashion- i like how that works as the ts (or sd1 which i usually use, which is a similar idea) is middier and more compressed than the timmy (or clean boost, usually) which works well for leads.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Whilst I don't have much experience with that amp, I seem to recall that it really benefited from a low gain overdrive to boost it into metal territory.

The xotic should do this fine. The tubescreamer will generally be a bit tighter [perhaps even lacking] in low end and the tone knob will behave quite differently to the xotics treble control, but they will both do a similar job as a boost. They sound a bit different, but both will do the job. 

The ts will sound better than the behringer, and will be better constructed, but they will be pretty similar in terms of tone. So you should be able to tell if you think the ts is worth having from the behringer. The decision is really down to you as to whether you feel you need both. If you want to have them set up for different things, or like the kind of tones you can get stacking the two drives then you might benefit from upgrading the behringer. But, if you feel you can do most of the things you like the ts for with the xotic, then maybe don't get another overdrive, or at least look at some different options.

For instance, depending on intended application, instead of getting another overdrive, you might be better served by an eq pedal, or a clean boost. Alternatively, you might just want a high gain overdrive, so you get most of your drive from the pedal not your amp.

Oh, and by the by, I can't quite remember but I'm pretty sure the Xotic's use asymmetrical clipping diodes. So their clipping sound is somewhat closer to the Boss SD-1 then the TS.
Last edited by mulefish at May 4, 2017,
mulefish yeah I got the TS first then the xotic and then found for a while that I didn't need to use the TS because the xotic boosted it quite well, albeit not as tight sounding. Behringer also gets noisy if i put drive above 9 o'clock .

My chain is wah>xotic>behringer>amp>etc..
But since you suggested the TS going first then the boost I will try that, but from you told me it should't really make much of a difference or it's just preference at the end of the day.

i think why i chose this order is how the wah sounds after the Xotic Booster then the behringer TS , though an idea just popped out of having the Xotic before the wah, though it's very tonesucking already( will mod eventually) then the TS 😅
Yeah there is really no right way or wrong way, they will sound different, but try different orders and see what you like best. If the wah is a tone sucker maybe remove it from your chain and just try the overdrives by themselves first. Spend some time seeing how they stack and how all the controls interact. Then after you've decided on your overdrive order, plug the wah back in. I definitely prefer wahs to be before overdrives but ymmv.

It's really just trying things and sticking with what you think sounds good
RIP Gooze

cats