Need a little help. I'm looking for a multi pedal that has a good looper and is kind of an all in one. Something good for writing by myself, recording myself and probably play show with down the road. I really wanted to get the m13 or m9 but now I'm being told the Pod hd500x would be better suited for me as I do not have a great amp and the amp modeling would be extremely beneficial especially for recording but the m series would be better if I had a good amp like a fender or a Mesa etc. Any thoughts?
 the Pod hd500x would be better suited for me as I do not have a great amp and the amp modeling would be extremely beneficial especially for recording but the m series would be better if I had a good amp 

This is completely true.

As you don't have a good amp, you should also check out other options like the Zoom G5.  Possibly even consider getting a good amp if you're considering joining a band in the future, personally I wouldn't gig without one but others would disagree.  I guess that decision depends on how far down the road you think gigging will be.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks for the reply I kinda figured those would be the best options. Playing live is going to be a ways down the road I feel. I'm running Cubase and a focus rite box and have been using amp simulators on the pc as of now. The Pod hd500x would probably be best for direct recording as whwre if I get the m13 or m9 I would either need a new amp which will be out of my budget right now or run the m series to an amp simulator on the pc. The Pod is starting to sound like the way to go but I really really wanted the m13 lol even if I buy a better amp down the road both units have the same effects and you can shut the amp simulation software off on the Pod and just use the effects.

I guess I'm just very skeptical as to the quality of the amp modeling as well. I live 2 hours from the nearest music store and am trying to order one of these going in blind.
I agree with what Gary said. I had the PodHD500x for a short while before I realized that it wasn't right for me. I am completely satisfied with my amps and the amp modeling wasn't my cup of tea. I switched to the M13 and love it. It fits exactly what I need and using the 4CM I run some effects into the loop and some into the front of the amp. IMO the M13 was very easy to use and  the HD500X has a little bit of a learning curve.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
This is a tough one. I've heard that the m13 has better sound quality and ease of use. That's a big thing to me. The podhd500x sounds like it will be way better for recording purposes. Alot of the bands I listen to are using the m series not the Pod series. They also the m series live primarily although one guy got rid of a dl4 and tube screamer and replaced it with an m9. He Is also running to a fender twin reverb which is way out of my league right now. Here's a good question then. Good amp or bad amp, which unit would still be the better all round choice? I will use the looper a ton during song writing for sure. But with a not so good amplifier will i be missing out on the amp modeling ? Or more importantly will i miss the amp modeling when it comes time to record? Thanks again for the replies
I don't think you can parse out that question. A good amp will make everything sound better. A bad amp with the HD500X will probably be better than the M13 because of the amp sims. If you are recording and doing silent playing then the 500 is the way to go. The M13 does not have any amp sims it is just a multi-fx pedal (a great one at that and I am not generally a MFX person). 
If you are saving for a better amp and want to record I would go for the 500X.
If you have the amp you want and just want the FX go for the M13.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
Line 6 M13
Ya I kind of figured as much haha two units designed to do different things. I just absolutely love the versatility of the m13 the looper looks fantastic great layout what's not to like. There would also be a big difference in use for recording as well. I have a 8 year old line 6 spyder 3 as an amp right now. I also used to play alot of metal and have currently got into post rock hence the new board . I wouldn't care record with this amp as it will sound like trash. That's where the Pod would be handy because I can record directly using the elfx and amp models. As where if I get the m13 I need an amp and mic. Although I could just use the m13 with the amp I have now and for recording purposes just buy some amp modeling software and do it that way to?? In the meantime it would allow for me to buy a better amp.

Being that you have owned the Pod hd500x, what was your overall feeling for it ? Besides ease of use, are the fx and amp models any good? Co pared to the m13 is the sound quality basically the same ?
The M13 and HD500X are essentially the same as far as fx are concerned. Both top notch and very responsive. For me the features of the HD500X were wasted on me as I truly didn't need them which is why the M13 was the best fit for me.
Why don't you just save the money you'll spend on the MFX unit and buy a new amp? I would think that the HD or M would not sound the best through the Spider.  
For the price of the HD500 you could get a decent used amp.
Line 6 M13
The only reason I ask about the quality of the two is someone had mentioned that there is a small delay when switching effects on the Pod but maybe that was on the old hd500 not the hd500x the amp idea sounds great I've tossed the idea around a bit but the problem is if I buy a new amp right now, I still won't have any effects at all. I am want you would call, without pedals, as of right now and solely rely on the built in modeling in the line 6. I'm trying to kinda do this on a budget but it seems I really have only 2 directions here. Either get the Pod hd500x and use it for what I intend, or buy the m13 and save up for an amp. I'm so used to direct recording. I've never actually micd an amp before because I've always used software for recording and the line 6 for writing and what not. On the other hand I don't really want to buy the the Pod and then buy a better amp soon after and go oh man I wish I would have bought the m13. I'm in quite the pickle. This all started because I purchased a used dl4 last weekend, which I am now sending back, and then found out in the last 2 days that the Pod and m series have the dl4 plus many more features I can use.
I will say, after owning both, I dig the M-series better. Of course if you want to record, the HD might be a better choice. But the usability (and tone) of the M series is better going into an actual amp. Remember, you have to put the HD through a full range amp to get the best out of it- it won't sound that great going into a guitar amp. 
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
The DL4 is a great pedal. I would get the amp you want keep the dl4 and then make the decision on whether the m13 or HD500 fits you. You would have no problem flipping the DL4 and use that to help fund the M13. 
Seriously the amp you have is limiting you and the hd and m will not sound up to par with that amp. You will essentially be using multi fx pedals that are worth well more than your amp. Sometimes that is doable, but not in this case.
Line 6 M13
Thanks for the replies. The problem with keeping the dl4 is I don't have distortion or overdrive pedals to out in front of it therefore costing me more moola. The podhd500x put through a guitar amp only makes sense if you disable the amp modeling and just use it as an fx board but then I'm back to just getting the m13 if I'm going to do that. I csnt see myself doing any shows any time soon. I would say as of right now it's kind of 40 percent for writing another 40 percent and a 20 percent off chance that I actually use it for a show in the next year only time will tell that part.
It's really starting to sound like the Pod hd500x may be the way to go. As much as I want the m13. Realistically since the amp modeling can be shut off and it can still be used as an fx unit, I can write music using it with the amp I have for now , I can record with it immediately using the amp modeling, it has the same effects as an m13, and if I upgrade my amp a ways down the road I can shut the amp modeling off and I basically have an m9/m13 does this sound correct or am I missing something crucial ?
Also if I was to look at a new amp what would you guys recommend as a decently budget conscious amp that would be good for metal or post rock that I could use to record with as well? I've heard that cabs sound better than combos in that department but I also have done 0 research on amplifiers in the past 5 years lol thanks
TBH, if you're talking about home recording only, don't bother buying an amp just for that.  Use software - go check out the stickies in the Recording forum.

The Spider you have may not be the best, but it's adequate as a practice amp.  Keep saving your money until you're ready to start gigging, then upgrade your kit and buy a properly decent amp.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks for the reply Gary. As of last night it sounded like the hd500x was the way to go. After some more thought processing I actually think the way to go would be the m9/m13. If I buy the m series it will future proof me. The only thing extra would be to buy a better amp down the road for live purposes. I can still use the spider as a practice amp. For recording, I can run the m series to my focus rite and then load a variety of amp Sims available and basically do what the hd500x can do for amp modeling plus some. The hd500x on the other hand would have the amp modeling off when plugged into a practice amp anyways. The only time the modeling would be used is for recording or live and I probably won't be playing live anytime soon.

So I'm thinking that maybe the m series is the way to go. They only thing holding me back is the amp in the first place so buying the hd500x and running through my only guitar amp is going to have the same effect as just running the m series in the first place because I'd have the amp modeling shut off. And the down the road if I buy a better amp the hd500x amp modeling is pointless anyways in recording and live. The one thing I didn't realize until yesterday is the the hd500x is better ran direct I the pa system or full range speaker which is another expense. In the end it makes more sense to spend 1000 bucks on an amp than a powered speaker as the amp would have way more use and would be a little smaller as well.

Anyways, I hope I'm not missing anything . If I'm not mistaken the m13 has the ability to put the effects pre or post so even through recording software I would think that feature would still work.

Do you guys think there is a downside to doing it this way?
Last edited by tjb0666 at May 4, 2017,