Hi Guys, new to the forum here. I'm thinking maybe I can get some advice on choosing a new guitar.

I've been playing off and on for about 35 years now. I currently play a G&L guitar from the 1980's and I love it. It's really the only guitar I've played since I was a kid. It's getting kind of beat and now that I'm older and can afford it, I'm thinking new guitar.

My guitar teacher in the 80's had an Ibanez Jem and since then I have always wanted an Ibanez guitar but never played one.

The last few days I sampled some at local stores (RG Series) and I'm not totally sure I'm sold. I'm thinking of going out later this week and sampling some strats which should be similar to what I currently have.

I plan to play a lot of classic rock (Stones, Who, etc.) , 80's rock (Van Halen, Motley Crue, etc.), and maybe even a little bit of modern day metal (Papa Roach, Disturbed, etc.) But more of the 80's and classic stuff.

What types of guitars would you suggest for this type of music??

I'm thinking I may really like the Strats when I sample them, but they don't really have that Floyd Rose style bridge that I'm hoping for.

Thanks for any advice.
INB4 trashedlostfdup recommends Prestige!

Seriously Ibanez Prestige series are great guitars and depending on your location you may be able to find one used for between $600-$800 these will satisfy your need for a locking tremolo system and likely have pickups to suit your style these guitars are very high quality I have been chasing them for a few years now but they continue to elude me . If you desire a locking tremolo and like the strat shape there are tons of superstrats available.

Also dependent on location used MIJ Jacksons may be available they average from $250-$500 depending on model and condition with most in the $300-$400 range the licensed tremolos are not on par with those on the Prestige but are not the worst on the market, I have several Japanese Jacksons getting one for $350 and putting a $200 Floyd Rose Original on it gives you a beast of a metal guitar for $550 give or take.

As for non-Prestige Ibanez RG guitars at least look for one that is made in Japan they are nice and will fit the bill.

Of course there are others that make superstrats like LTD by ESP and Schecter etc. Something with a Seymour Duncan JB/JM set would be great for 80s thrash/hair metal and handle the classic stuff as well.

Where are you located?

What is your budget?

What kind of amp/effects are you playing through?
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at May 3, 2017,
Thanks!!

Where are you located? Philadelphia Area

What is your budget? $750 - $1200

What kind of amp/effects are you playing through? Fender Princeton 65 from the late 80's
The first thing that comes to mind is a Charvel and the second is an EVH.  Neither have the pointy headstock (but I love Jacksons. . . ) that you may not want with the Classic Rock stuff but have humbuckers in the bridge and a locking Floyd.  The Charvel has a compound radius neck which is awesome!
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
I'll put the (discontinued) Godin Velocity and Fernandes' Revolver Classic on your radar as good but unusual & less obvious choices.

The Godin is a HSS superstrat with a hot-ish Seymour Duncan in the bridge and 2 Godin singlecoils. It was also the first guitar to feature Godin's H.D.R. (High Definition Revoicer) system that lets you go from passive to active tones with the push of a tiny button. Discontinued in 2011, there are still some NOS ones floating around for @$800, and used ones in good condition can be had for $400-600.

Fernandes' Revolver Classic is another shredder's HSS. The bridge & middle positions are both held by Seymour Duncan's, but this guitar's quirk is that the neck pickup is actually a Fernandes Sustainer. Infinite sustain ampnd easy harmonic overtone fun are nice tricks to have up your sleeve.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Thanks for the advice!!'

Today I found a local G&L Climax Plus in great condition and I grabbed it.

I really like it. It has the feel that I'm used to, but it adds the Floyd Rose style tremolo and the H/S/H that I was looking for.

Although used, it was about 1/2 of what I was willing to spend.

So it was a big win!!
Ach- I should have suggested a Godin Freeway SA, which is HSH, but I'm glad you found a deal on a guitar that suits you!

Now...how are you set for your amp & pedals?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I actually have a Fender Princeton 65 from about 25 years ago. It works well. I do not have any pedals.

Believe this or not, but I've been playing since the 80's and never really learned about pedals or ever bought any.

But would love to learn about them someday.
Well, I could rattle off a bunch of stuff, but the best course of action is for you to wait until you've had some time with your new axe, and if you can't find the tones you seek, come back and tell us what's missing.

I guarantee you that the assembled minds of UG can help you find the pedals that would fill in the pieces of that puzzle.

Quote by carlg2
Although used, it was about 1/2 of what I was willing to spend. So it was a big win!!

I have 15 guitars only one of them was purchased new by me! Used is the way to go it will allow you to get a guitar and keep some money from your budget or spend it all and get a guitar that is way better than what you would get for the same money if it was new!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I own ESP, Jackson, Charvel, Peavey, and Ibanez.  I really enjoy them all, but they all play and feel differently.  If you really like the Ibanez, while the Prestige and Premium's are really nice guitars, try looking for an old RG550/560/570/750/760/770 from like '87 - '92.  They're some of the best that Ibanez made in my opinion (what I've heard Ibanez people call the "Golden Age" of Ibanez), and can be had for well into and even under your price range.  I just picked up another Ibanez, and '89 RG760 for $500 in mint condition with OHSC last week.