Which is better: Stainless Picks or Plastic Picks (Specifically for electric guitar lead solos or overdrives)?
Last edited by iampeterparkerjr at May 3, 2017,
Picks made of metal.... A horrible idea. They can stick to your pickups magnets, they are very slippery when you get sweaty, they sound crap IMO, and are uncomfortable because of their thinness combined with stiffness.

There are many types of plastics for picks. Some use nylon, which is soft and has a very warm attack tone, some use celluloid which is harder, and I currently use Planet Waves Nylpro. Nylon with glassfibre. Very hard, nice attack, but no "scraping" sound when picking gently

Edit: from my personal experience, metal picks don't glide over strings as easily, it's harder to play fast
Last edited by ArturPr at May 3, 2017,
Up to you. There's a huge range of both, especially plastic ones. The big plus of steel picks is that they're substantially more durable than just about any plastic ones, but they're typically more rigid (which can be an advantage or a disadvantage, depending what you prefer), and if they get any nicks in them or anything they can suddenly start eating through strings really badly. They also tend to have a very strong treble "bite" which is nice if your guitar is lacking that and annoying if you already have too much. Plastic picks vary massively and some are utter crap, some are great, and of course different ones tend towards different styles. It's simply not possible for someone to make the choice for you with picks - two people can play pretty much the exact same music in pretty much the exact same way and they can still have different preferences. In any case, the first thing to think about is shape, anyway. If you want to shred, then you will probably prefer a pointier and more rigid pick.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
The answer to your question will be subjective at best as it is really a matter of preference.

Brian May of Queen uses a discontinued British coin known as a sixpence.

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

There really isn't a "best".

Not only is it largely a matter of personal preference, you may find that certain picks younlike for one song don't work as well for others. I mean, I've got picks of plastic, carbon fiber, carbon Nylon, ceramic Nylon, steel, copper, titanium, jade and agate.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
They say stainless steel picks  have crispier sound than plastic picks. 
okay, can I rephrase my question to, Which electric guitar picks do you like to use more (specifically when playing lead solos and overdrives)? & Why?

thanks
Quote by iampeterparkerjr
They say stainless steel picks  have crispier sound than plastic picks. 
On average, that is basically true, yes.
okay, can I rephrase my question to, Which electric guitar picks do you like to use more (specifically when playing lead solos and overdrives)? & Why?

thanks
Plastic picks, specifically ones made by Gravity Picks, because those specific plastic ones last really long without eating through the strings like crazy*. When I was more into metal I used different variations on Dunlop's Jazz III because the point is really good for fast picking, though once I got more into funk and ska the durability just wasn't good enough, as the heavy rhythm chops wore off the tip really fast and a pick that changes shape noticeably from day to day is not the best

*For the record, I do expect I'll change to something else in the not-too-distant future. I find the attack of the Gravity picks I have pretty underwhelming, to the point that they're not really usable for acoustic. The replacement may be a different model by them, though.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at May 3, 2017,
iampeterparkerjr

The picks I use the most are carbon nylons. Basically as thin and stiff as most metals, but with a better grip. After that? My stone picks- their polished eyes gicpve me some interesting almost bow-like options when simply rubbing the strings.

But all of them get used.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Metal picks are hard on strings so unless your budget allows you to change strings every couple days I would stay away from them.  You can get interesting sounds with them but they put too much stress on the strings creating dents on the surface of the strings that cause tuning instability and breakage.
Not taking any online orders.
I borrowed my friend's metal pick once, hated it. Cold, stiff and thin, the tone was bright and it made a lot of scraping sounds. I personally love the kind of soft touch plastic used on picks like the planet waves black ice, or certain dunlop picks. I've also used wooden picks before, and they're an interesting beast. The thickness is really addictive once you get used to it, and it gives a much brighter tone, but not in a tinny way. Cause the wood vibrates a lot, it really accentuates overtones, which is kind of cool if you're going for a sparkly sort of sound, though they wear out really quick, as you'd expect with wood on metal. After a couple of months mine went from a pointy edge to more like a mandolin pick shape.
Quote by Fat Lard
post of the year, thank you

Those are the ones I use. They have a nice point, are very durable, very stiff without being super thick, somewhat crisp attack (not super crisp, but they lean in that direction), and the grip is great.

the ultex ones have an even sharper attack sound and are super durable as well, but they're a little slippery and they're like a translucent yellow that makes them easy to lose on a beige carpet. edit: I see they have a black ultex jazz III now, haven't tried them out.
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at May 4, 2017,
Quote by dannyalcatraz

I might have to give these Pickboy .88s a try, how do they wear compared to the Dunlop .88mm green Tortex? I like that thickness and have used them for years but they wear out fairly quickly and I have to cross hatch them with a razorblade for grip. 
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Evilnine

Well, I haven't tried the Dunlops, so I can't offer a comparison. My take on them is similar to The4thHorsemen's: good stiffness, good point, good durability, good grip.

dannyalcatraz I'll give them a try I definately like the grip factor!
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

has anyone also tried  Dunlop John Petrucci Jazz 3 guitar pick ? how is it?
I used those for a while. They were probably my favourite of the Jazz III lineup. Felt pretty nice and had a good snappy attack. The JP is a tad bigger than most Jazz IIIs, which can be nice if you're used to normal-sized picks, too.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
iampeterparkerjr
Tortex is a softer material compared to the carbon fiber or ultex, so it has a more mellow attack and wears out quicker. However it's more durable and snappier than nylon. Tortex also comes in different thicknesses, which will obviously effect the attack and playability as well.

Haven't tried the wedge.
Is it made of carbon-nylon?
I don't think so - I believe it's made of Ultex, which is Dunlop's toughest plastic. Very rigid, works well for picks that don't have to flex much (which includes Jazz IIIs). I found it to be a substantial improvement on nylon in terms of durability.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Dunlop Jazz III Max Grip has been my sole choice of picks for a couple of years. Very durable, and easy to grip.

However, I'm currently trying out some other picks due to being unsatisfied with my fast picking technique (basically, I found that a bigger pick made my hand more stable and less tense). I used the green Dunlop Tortex .88mm for a couple of years and am now using them again, as well as celluloid Fender Heavy picks. Only time will tell if I change back to Jazz III's again. Right now, I don't want to use them. 

Main drawbacks of Tortex and especially celluloid picks are that they wear fast.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
I use the stubby's by Dunlop (like Jazz III but they are VERY thick), 3.0mm, I love them because I have lots of attack, so when I want to lower the dynamics I barely touch the string, and when I want to make the guitar cry I don't need to apply much force (at all).

I started using those a year ago when I broke my hand. I had to wait a month or more to get my strenght back, so that pick solved my "volume" problems.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Graphtech pick, bone picks, stone picks
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
I like to use thin plastic picks for BOTH acoustic and electric guitar. My son has a punch that he uses to punch out picks from plastic material used in container packing materials and they work GREAT! Metal picks are way too stiff and "clunky" in my opinion.
by the way, Has anyone ever tried the Pick of Destiny from the Movie? how does it sound, I haven't watched some sound tests in youtube.
by the way, Has anyone ever tried the Pick of Destiny from the Movie? how does it sound, I haven't watched some sound tests in youtube.

Looks gimmicky to me. You can get multiple dozen tortex picks for around 10 bucks.
Worst pick ever is those ones at GC. I like the feel of the Tortex myself, and yea they do wear fast. But normally I have a pile and just grab whatever and go with it.
Flying in a blue dream