Is there anyone here who can verify that I can plug a m9 or m13 unit into an interface, I'm using a focus rite Scarlett 2i4, and use cab or amp Sims for recording instead of buying a podhd500x?
You can do this. You need a full amp and cab/mic sim for it to sound good, but it will work. 
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Fantastic I've got amplitube 3 right now and I've also got recabinet 4 as well. They should work for sure. And amplitube has some of the amps I'm looking to use anyways . Thanks for the reply
Quote by tjb0666
Is there anyone here who can verify that I can plug a m9 or m13 unit into an interface, I'm using a focus rite Scarlett 2i4, and  use cab or amp Sims for recording instead of buying a podhd500x?

You can. The pod, however, provides a lot of ergonomic benefits and a lot less complication in wiring. And besides, I've seen them at pretty good prices recently. 
dspellman I'm actually really worried about sound quality differences. Like how good one amp model sounds on hd500x vs an amp sim. I've heard some people say that the amp modeling on the hd500x isn't great so that has me really leary.
Quote by tjb0666
dspellman  I'm actually really worried about sound quality differences.  Like how good one amp model sounds on hd500x vs an amp sim.     I've heard some people say that the amp modeling on the hd500x isn't great so that has me really leary.

Folks have done whole albums with the things; I don't think you need to worry. Until recently, I was using the HD500X with a Two-Notes Torpedo C.A.B. That's a pedal version of the Torpedo Studio without the load box. It provides cab IRs, but it also offers power amp sims (EL34, EL84, KT88, etc.). The basic amp modeling (Park, Marshall, etc.) all comes from the HD500, and it's just fine. 

If you're never going to do anything but sit in your bedroom and do some recording occasionally, the software solution is fine. But if you ever go live, you'll want to change pretty quickly. 

I will admit that I've moved to a helix, for the most part, and it's eliminated the C.A.B. (IRs are supported on the Helix).  
dspellman See and that's the reason I'm torn between the two units. The main purpose of getting an fx u it for me is the looper and the effects. I guess I'm trying to do as much as I can with a pedal vs doing absolutely everything on amp Sims for recording purposes. The looper for writing and the fx to eliminate spending a ton of coin on pedals.

The playing live scenario does pose a problem down the road. If I buy an m13 that means I eventually need to purchase a better guitar amp. As where the hd500x can be plugged into the pa system direct and I can load amp models.

I don't have a problem buying the amp down the road. To be honest my main goal is song writing and trying to write and record like 6 song albums a couple times a year. I would say that is what I'm going to be doing 80 percent of the time and maybe if I'm lucky the other 20 percent will be doing a few shows.

I do think that the Pod hd500x for live situations is defiently the way to go. I just can't make up my mind haha too many pros and cons. Once again I think in my mind in just worried about the on board amp modeling on the hd500x. I don't want to find out the amp modeling isn't any good and regret not buying the m9 or m13 if that makes sense.
Quote by tjb0666

I do think that the Pod hd500x for live situations is defiently the way to go.   I just can't make up my mind haha   too many pros and cons.  Once again I think in my mind in just worried about the on board amp modeling on the hd500x.  I don't want to find out the amp modeling isn't any good and regret not buying the m9 or m13 if that makes sense.

You can always add amp modeling in the recording process if you have an issue down the line. Most of the FX in the HD500 ARE from the M series. At this juncture, I don't think you're going to hear a difference. And re-amping is always possible if you're saving a clean track anyway. If you're asking a random forum to verify things for you, I'm guessing you've experience neither unit in person. You're not recording at the moment, either, Flip a coin, make a decision and go from there.  Honestly, I do most of my writing on a keyboard, and if you really want to mess with this, get one of the "arranger" style keyboards (Korg PA3X, etc.) with a 16-track sequencer built in, rather than a looper. You can, of course, plug your guitar INTO one of these <G>...
dspellman I haven't heard either unit in person unfortunately due to being busy and having the nearest music store almost 110 miles away. And the reason I asked on here was to get some insight of the differences of the 2 u it's hopefully from owners of these units to get a better idea of what uses they serve. I do know some bands that use them and I've read what others have to say I am going in blind for sure I have a good idea what they are going to sound like and I'm not too concerned about that the big concern is making sure I buy the right one based on the applications I will be using it for.

Thanks for the help tho greatly appreciated I'll maybe try and find a clean used one and save a few bucks and if down the road I want to change or upgrade I can do so without alot of loss.

A question in regards to the hd500x since you've owned one. This unit can be plugged into a pc and you can load up and alter a bunch of stuff. Did you end up using the pc features alot or did you just do most of your tweaking and settings on the board itself?
Quote by tjb0666
dspellman

A question in regards to the hd500x since you've owned one.   This unit can be plugged into a pc and you can load up and alter a bunch of stuff.  Did you end up using the pc features alot or did you just do most of your tweaking and settings on the board itself?

I don't remember if the PC software was even available when I first got the unit, but I mostly did the tweaking on the unit itself. I'd had Pods since the XT (both live and "bean" version), and mostly used them on the unit itself. In fact, you might want to notice that the Pod HD (bean) is showing up around $200 on craigslists. If you're not going to need the foot pedal stuff, you can work with the bean for a long time, then add the Smartboard II when you're ready to go live with it. 

In other news, it's worth noting that the Helix has a new little brother (the Helix LT) that gives up scribble strips, construction method/materials and some I/O, but is, soundwise, identical to the original Helix, and it's only $1000 new. It's also worth noting that there's a software-only version of the Helix ("Helix Native") on its way between now and (I believe July?) that will work directly  with your DAW. Dunno what the price on that will be, but if you're mostly going to be computer based, it's definitely worth a look. http://line6.com/helix/helixnative.html  And that the current version of the Helix software has added, among other things, a whole lot of bass guitar/amp/cabs/FX stuff. In addition all of the Helix products handle IRs.  

I went with the full-blown floor model Helix; I like the scribble strips and I really use the I/O on the backside (there are *four* FX loops that you can incorporate into the paths in the machine and access as you need, so if you have a monster looper pedal, you can incorporate that easily). The Helix (as opposed to the Helix LT) is all cast materials, where the LT is folded metal. It's much stronger. And the level of I/O allows you to run outputs to mixer, to an auxiliary set of powered speakers, to a recorder, etc. 
I will say that the looper in the M-series is a whole lot easier to use live, as the volume of the loop can be mapped to an expression pedal, so loops can fade in and out. While the HD has a looper, and has a volume parameter, and even an expression pedal, inexplicably you can't assign the expression pedal to the volume of the loop like you could with even the DL4 many years before. 
I had my HD for 5 years, and recorded 2 albums with it, but this was my deal breaker. I use loops a lot and this oversight was never corrected in any updates (which were few and far between). I use a Fractal now. 
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by Mincer
I will say that the looper in the M-series is a whole lot easier to use live, as the volume of the loop can be mapped to an expression pedal, so loops can fade in and out. While the HD has a looper, and has a volume parameter, and even an expression pedal, inexplicably you can't assign the expression pedal to the volume of the loop like you could with even the DL4 many years before. 
I had my HD for 5 years, and recorded 2 albums with it, but this was my deal breaker. I use loops a lot and this oversight was never corrected in any updates (which were few and far between). I use a Fractal now. 

You can map the looper on the Helix to an expression pedal (or to a Variax guitar control if you have one of those) -- the Helix will accommodate up to two additional expression pedals. But frankly, the looper on most all-in-one setups isn't up to the same level as some of the dedicated loopers. I think the Helix handles what, 60 seconds?

Come to think of it, I've never actually tried the looper on my older Axe Ultra. I'm thinking it's a lot cheaper to just buy a dedicated looper and add it to the chain or run it through an FX loop. 
Just want to say thanks everyone for the help and replies. Since I'm unable to make the trip to the city to test drive these units I decided to contact the music store I deal with and see if there was any used units floating around. I sure hit the jackpot!
Here in Canada the M13 retails for around $650 and I got a used on in great shape for $375. I also got my hands on an HD500X for $450 which retails up here for $690. Both have 1 year performance warranty and they come with a yearly optional renewal which cost like 12 bucks a board!!

I already knew what they were going to sound like and I figured I would get different uses out of both. That's why I needed some help from people who actually have used or own these units to tell me what it's like to use once you have them in the comfort of your own home and to find out about the little things line 6 doesn't tell you.

Once again thanks. This gear is going to help out greatly.
And dspellman, just for the record, I didn't just pick a "random" site when I needed this help. I came to a site with people who use this equipment, I used to be a member of years ago and now am again and a site I have followed off and on for over ten years, to get help from people like yourself, who know these products well enough to help steer a guy in the right direction, which you and mincer have successfully done. And for that I thank you guys. I look forward to test driving a helix down the road.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and if I get a chance I'll update you guys sometime down the road .

Cheers
Quote by dspellman
You can map the looper on the Helix to an expression pedal (or to a Variax guitar control if you have one of those) -- the Helix will accommodate up to two additional expression pedals. But frankly, the looper on most all-in-one setups isn't up to the same level as some of the dedicated loopers. I think the Helix handles what, 60 seconds?

Come to think of it, I've never actually tried the looper on my older Axe Ultra. I'm thinking it's a lot cheaper to just buy a dedicated looper and add it to the chain or run it through an FX loop. 

60 seconds is long enough for me. I use dedicated loopers, too, but the fact that I was in contact with the actual people who worked on the programming of the HD, and told me that they would add this feature (and never did) led me to not even consider the Helix. I own lots of L6 products, but I don't think I will buy any more. 
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by Mincer
60 seconds is long enough for me. I use dedicated loopers, too, but the fact that I was in contact with the actual people who worked on the programming of the HD, and told me that they would add this feature (and never did) led me to not even consider the Helix. I own lots of L6 products, but I don't think I will buy any more. 

I have no horse in this race, so I encourage you to buy what you like. 
If I could count the number of manufacturers I've been in personal contact with, and have requested features from, and who promised those features to me in the next product and who did NOT deliver same, I'd be counting for quite a while. And if I decided not to use any of their products, ever, I'd have a very few to choose from <G>.  I'm still after Kurt to make Agile AL-3200s in a Floyd-equipped production version. 
The HD has a looper, and it's not a great looper and it's pretty simplistic. 

So the Helix has a looper. It's not a great looper and it's pretty simplistic (though better than the one in the HD), but the fact is that Line 6 apparently doesn't (didn't?) consider a looper a primary requirement during development. They did, however, make it extremely easy to incorporate a dedicated looper into the unit's FX chain. 
Yeah, I do count how my interaction with the manufacturer goes when I am considering a gear purchase though. When they don't care to talk to me (or downright lie), I look somewhere else, no matter how good their product is (I don't know, I never tried). 
Dave @ Seymour Duncan