Page 1 of 2
I tuned in in the pop station on the radio for the first time since a while. And boy, wasn't I surprised, they all sound literally the same. The way they curve their high notes, hell even the way they sing. They sound so boring, generic and uninspired. It's to the point where it's hard to tell them apart. They sound like every contestant from "The Voice." (I don't watch that shit show by the way.) Now why is that? Is creativity and originality just thrown out the window nowadays?
Quote by Rossenrot
you say acoustic i say autistic

le boom.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
If you want great pop music with the greatest diversity and real singers you need to listen to '80s pop.  The greatest decade in pop IMO.  Pop has been complete shit for a very long time now. 
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at May 5, 2017,
theres lots of underground pop music that's actually pretty great

the shit on the radio is so over-produced and compressed, it all sounds the same, especially when these pop stars all run to the same producers
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Standard's are low these day's, I myself am not really a pop fan but I agree it was better in the 80's like Way Cool JR. said their was a lot of diversity in pop music then.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

You ever heard of a little known artist called GWEN STEFANI ??

Check it out u might learn something.

Lenka too
Over the past 20 years or so, alternate ways of consuming music have gained popularity, and I think two effects of that have profoundly affected what gets played on pop radio. First, music that mostly appeals to niche audiences is getting straight to the niche now without needing to go through the traditional record industry, and so less of it is showing up on mainstream radio. Second, the traditional record industry is afraid that it's going to die, and so is reluctant to invest in artists that don't fit a mold that has already proven profitable. And so we have major labels, pop radio, etc. choosing from a narrower group of artists, and not taking a chance on things that aren't already on the radio, the result being that everything on pop radio sounds the same.

One place I do think we're seeing new and interesting stuff show up in the mainstream right now is R&B and hip hop. Sadly, that's not really my kind of music.
Death to Ovation haters!
I agree with you, but Bruno Mars is a bro
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: New York Voices, as well as the new Vulfpeck record (fuck it's so good)

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I agree with you, but Bruno Mars is a bro

Seconded.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by TobusRex
Contemporary music keeps getting worse. 
The jazz world would like a word with you.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: New York Voices, as well as the new Vulfpeck record (fuck it's so good)

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
Radio county is especially bad for this. I swear to god there's 2 singers in all of mainstream country music, one male and one female.
Quote by MeTallIcA313
Radio county is especially bad for this. I swear to god there's 2 singers in all of mainstream country music, one male and one female.

Contemporary Country is horrible crap. Pretty sad, especially when in the old days they had stuff like this. 

Quote by Wolfinator-x
The jazz world would like a word with you.

Jazz doesn't ever get worse because it was trash to begin with.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Hey pal, you made a mistake. You posted a thread when you meant to leave a comment on a YouTube video.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by TobusRex
Contemporary Country is horrible crap. Pretty sad, especially when in the old days they had stuff like this. 

You say that, but Chris Stapleton is blowing up right now and he's undoubtedly good.

Bemoaning modern pop country is one of the most boring arguments I can think of. It's even worse than bemoaning modern rock and extolling the praises of Led Zeppelin, because old country is even less interesting.
My God, it's full of stars!
I just don't like hearing the live versions/reality tv performances where they do a vocal solo every after five words. 

It's just not special if they keep doing it. The advice for guitarists that "not every song needs a solo" applies to singers as well but no one seems to tell them.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Quote by Dreadnought
You say that, but Chris Stapleton is blowing up right now and he's undoubtedly good.

Bemoaning modern pop country is one of the most boring arguments I can think of. It's even worse than bemoaning modern rock and extolling the praises of Led Zeppelin, because old country is even less interesting.

Anybody can make sweeping statements. They might be mostly right, but never 100%. That's why they are calling "sweeping" because they sweep the other considerations under the rug. I find most contemporary country to be saccharin/vanilla/boring light pop. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but it's something that I don't care for. I like less "produced" country, authentic country blues and such. 

Led Zeppelin...best cover band ever. But guess what? Leadbelly's Gallows Pole is just as interesting as theirs. I don't generally tend to wax romantic on any particular band over much. 

I heard a tune by Brad Paisley that was hilarious, but it was just a novelty song about selfies and shit. I'm likely to be unaware of newcomers on the country scene though because I rarely listen to anything but CDs that I already own. 
So then what do you know about "modern country"??

Surely you're aware that this sounds just like (because it is) a stodgy old person's mentality and reluctance to change, celebrating the "good old days" and decrying the terrible contemporary. 
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
So then what do you know about "modern country"??

Surely you're aware that this sounds just like (because it is) a stodgy old person's mentality and reluctance to change, celebrating the "good old days" and decrying the terrible contemporary. 

Well not much. I gave up on listening to country radio back in the 90s. I listen to music on youtube constantly, but generally I'm looking up stuff I already know. If I hear a lot about a person I may look them up on youtube to see what the big deal is.  But, the only country singer I've seen in the news lately is Shania Twain. She's gorgeous, but she does that soft pop country that I dislike so heartily. I like a lot of stuff by Garth Brooks, but I don't consider him "contemporary country" since the last thing he did that I liked was back in the 90s. I guess I like George Strait a bit as a singer, but he does a lot of vanilla stuff. His western swing is "cityfied", in my opinion. He's got a great voice. 

I'm old and set in my ways. 
Quote by chrismendiola
Hey pal, you made a mistake. You posted a thread when you meant to leave a comment on a YouTube video.

facts my guy 

Quote by Dreadnought

Facts about mainstream country through the years:

-Chris Stapleton is indeed very good.
-Zack Brown is alright but not great.
-Brad Paisley and Keith Urban are good guitar players but their music is terrible.
-some of the neo-trad guys of the 90s like Allen Jackson and Doug Stone did real good honky-tonk revival.
-otherwise modern mainstream country (90s-today) is terrible.
-mainstream country of the 60s-80s was far more terrible.
-mainstream country producers from that era should be flogged for their tasteless use of reverb.
-80s country ballads are even worse than 80s pop ballads.
-Johnny Cash had some good songs but 90% of his catalog is horseshit.
-Merle Haggard had less good songs and like 95% of his catalog is horseshit.
-Willie Nelson is somewhere between Johnny and Merle.
-trucker country of the 70s was the best country but largely ignored by the mainstream.
-old, old country was more mixed; the good songs were better and the bad were worse than ever.
-Hank Williams is the only country musician with a solid discography all the way through.
-Even someone like Ernest Tubb, who was great, had some real bad songs.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
The vast majority of radio country is bland rock music with a pedal steel added and sung in a southern accent. So much of it sounds like stuff the Eagles, Skynyrd, the Allman Brothers, or the Band would have left on the cutting room floor.

I think Dreadnought is right, though: it's getting better.
Death to Ovation haters!
Last edited by PatchworkMan at May 8, 2017,
70s radio country was just the Carpenters with pedal steel guitar and southern accents and 80s radio country was just cheesy 80s Yamaha D7X electric piano ballads with southern accents and usually not even pedal steel guitar. Even talented people like George Jones were on absolutely trash records through those years. I can't imagine who in there right mind would listen to Eddie Rabbitt or John Conlee. Taylor Swift put out stronger country records than either of those guys. And don't even get me started on Anne Murray. Uggh.

Guys like Ricky Skaggs was a mediocre singer terrible songs a worse haircut. His only saving grace was that he was a hell of a picker and had the best of the best that Nashville had to offer backing him. George Strait was the same way except with even worse hair (think Coconuthead or Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) and without instrumental chops of his own like Ricky.

So much bad stuff came out of those decades. Worse than the stuff they're putting out these days.
The one thing I just cannot stand is how overproduced, electronically enhanced and autotuned everything is now.

THEY ACTUALLY LIKE AUTOTUNED SIGNERS NOW, LIKE IT'S POPULAR, ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!??!??

I like the Weeknd a bit, but (again, there goes the english language seriously, no it's not good) and I like some of his songs but sometimes it's just too slick and overproduced that it gives me this uncomfortable feeling, like nails on the chalkboard, I just can't stand it. Not only that but I was listening to one of his songs in this shitty big chain store I hate (because I was starving) and like...during some of the choruses his voice turns all digital and I just thought "that's the number of the beast" or a sign or something. I know it sounds silly, but as things get more artificial and contrived, everything will slowly get this way and it's not good. 
Last edited by tear2slitwrists at May 8, 2017,
Quote by TROUnation
I tuned in in the pop station on the radio for the first time since a while. And boy, wasn't I surprised, they all sound literally the same. The way they curve their high notes, hell even the way they sing. They sound so boring, generic and uninspired. It's to the point where it's hard to tell them apart. They sound like every contestant from "The Voice." (I don't watch that shit show by the way.) Now why is that? Is creativity and originality just thrown out the window nowadays?

It's pretty much: Generation Narcissistic, I think. What you think, the trend in and pattern that society is following and the direction it's moving into as we head into this Orwellian type of world. 

http://www.livescience.com/53635-why-millennials-are-narcissistic.html
Quote by StewieSwan
more like cuntry hahaha

I like song old country music, like Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams and the like. But, isn't that what folk music is supposed to be? I mean just the same "country music" like geesh, no offense to, but could you be more straight forward? I guess it's only inevitable and serves it's purpose though. 

There was plenty of good country in the 60's/70's, if you listened to the right stuff. Some of that George Jones stuff was pretty good too. I liked his good stuff because it all had a heavy dose of humor, sometimes black as hell. Anyway...I'm sure this guy's obsession with horse racing had nothing to do with the end of his relationship  

This is pretty awesome, too. That stand up bass rocks. One of the coolest songs ever made. Has kind of a Beatnik vibe.

Last edited by TobusRex at May 8, 2017,
I can take or leave country music, and no matter what decade it is from there is some good stuff and some cheesy BS crap. My issue with some (not all) of contemporary country is that some of it barely sounds like country music at all, with vocals that sound more like rap and heavy metal guitar solos it just don't have that country feel of course that is my opinion if you like it cheers to you.

I do favor the good country music from days gone by and while there was some milquetoast artists for sure there was definatley some interesting subject matter in much of it.

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by TobusRex
This is pretty awesome, too. That stand up bass rocks. One of the coolest songs ever made. Has kind of a Beatnik vibe.

This is one of my favorite songs by RM:

And let's not forget the country music fans in the UK!

- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at May 9, 2017,
Page 1 of 2