Page 1 of 2
I have decided to do a bit of rearranging of what I have and embark on an attempt to start a guitar collection. I see a lot of people that will show you a picture of this whole gaggle of guitars and tell you, that is their collection. I intend to have a theme to my collection and I was wondering of you on here who have collections, does your collection have a theme or is it just a bunch of guitars you like? What are some of the theme's you chose?
Mine is guitars I like. No theme.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
i get guitars that i like and serve a purpose. curious what  "theme" you are shooting for and why? 
If a guitar is cool, I buy it.

Whether it's 'themed' with anything else I own is pure coincidence.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Mine is guitars I like. No theme.

Same here. They need to have a use as well, so I aim for two guitars for each tuning I want to use. Asthetics come second. I'm not big on Les Paul shapes, so I probably wont get one, not to mention, I prefer having 24 frets. It's a hobby at this point.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
If I like it and its quality. I own ESP, Peavey, Jackson, Ibanez, Charvel, Kramer, Vester. All different, but all great guitars.
Last edited by Xander_X at May 5, 2017,
Quote by bjgrifter
Same here. They need to have a use as well, so I aim for two guitars for each tuning I want to use. Asthetics come second. I'm not big on Les Paul shapes, so I probably wont get one, not to mention, I prefer having 24 frets. It's a hobby at this point.

It's more a hobby for me, too. I have 22 & 24 fretters. HBs, P90s, Charlie Christians and other singlecoils. Solid, hollow and semi-hollowbody.

No pointy guitars, though. I like the looks, hate the feel.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I limit myself to 3 at any time. It's a number that works for me, and it makes sure that I don't have instruments sitting around unplayed or underused. 

I feel a bit less guilty spending more on a nicer instrument when I have fewer of them. 

"Themed" collections for their own sake seem weird to me. Obviously if you love the shit out of Explorers or whatever, and just want a bunch of them, that's cool. But if you have to sit down and think of a theme to go and build a collection, consciously, around that? That seems artificial and strange to me. You can do what you want but it is not how I would choose to spend a bunch of money on a bunch of guitars. 
I have 16 (I think), but one is up for sale. They represent a few for each of my interests, and within that few of each, they are all tonally somewhat different from each other. So my "theme" is to have an interesting choice for each of the styles I play - acoustic and electric slide, acoustic fingerpicking, and acoustic and electric lap steel. Electrics are, however, over-represented, as I buy with the specific intention of modding rather more than playing; modding has become a hobby in its own right. The overall theme is "mojo", which comes in a lot of different guises.
My "collection" is really just 3 guitars currently. The theme seems to be black (both glossy and matte/satin finishes) with rosewood fingerboard. I don't do this intentionally because the first guitar I bought was a "starter kit" online for around $150, picked Black/Rosewood theme because 10th grade me asked "why not?"

Second guitar I bought was a while later after I got a bit better at guitar. I didn't have a choice on theme. LTD MH-50, the only theme you could get is black/rosewood. No other options being sold. So I went with that.

My third and newest guitar, it might be fate, i dunno really. The only theme in stock was satin black with a rosewood fretboard. Of course the online store also had a blue/rosewood version in stock, but that one had active pickups, and I'm not too much a fan of actives.. so yea.. its not intentional but all three of my guitars have followed the black/rosewood theme (though different body woods used)

I don't really buy guitars very often, I but when i do, I try to go for the guitar that looks cool and has a good features to price ratio. For example, my first starter pack guitar, i bought because it included the guitar, amp, cables, picks, and a strap for $150. I was new to guitar back then, wanted to learn but no real knowledge on what is good/bad, so I went with it because it's cheap and has a bunch of bonus stuff included. My second guitar, I bought after spending a year with that kit guitar, I bought my 2nd guitar after gaining more knowledge and a bit more skill (and my favorite bands play in drop C, something that doesn't seem very "fitting" for 9 gauge strings), a smoother neck for my hand to move on, 2 humbuckers instead of 3 single coils (one of which didn't seem to work when connected to an interface for some odd reason, but then again, what can you expect out of a shady guitar kit?). As well as 1 tone, 1 volume, 3 way selector switch (I wanted to keep the knobs and switches to a minimum, keep it simple). About 1.5 years later, I get a lot better at guitar, get into music that used 7, 8 or 9 string guitars, I found a wanting for a 7 string (if i set it in drop A, I could technically just pitch shift around if i need another drop tuning, and play the higher 6 strings for standard tunings, genius I know!). Poked around youtube, found Rob Scallon, found Sarah Longfield, decided "well alrighty, I might as well get a good 7 string", and bought my third and newest guitar. 

Sorry, I've somehow written an essay, I apologize, tl;dr, I buy guitars when i "outgrow" them, or when i have new musical interests that I want to pursue
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Last edited by Parac at May 6, 2017,
Quote by Arrawin
I have decided to do a bit of rearranging of what I have and embark on an attempt to start a guitar collection. I see a lot of people that will show you a picture of this whole gaggle of guitars and tell you, that is their collection. I intend to have a theme to my collection and I was wondering of you on here who have collections, does your collection have a theme or is it just a bunch of guitars you like? What are some of the theme's you chose?

Guitars I've taken a fancy to. No theme. 

They range from a 1939 archtop with no pickup to Variax guitars to LPs with Sustainers and Floyds to 7-strings, and now I'm angling for an extended range guitar (7 or 8-strings) in multiscale (fan fret) in headless form. 

My tastes change, my interests change, music changes, etc. My bunch of guitars isn't so much a collection as an accumulation; I don't turn them over, and I don't line them up and look at them like a collection of Barbies or Schwinn cruiser bikes. 
Quote by darthbuttchin
OP - what sort of theme are you thinking? Under the sea, jungle, Vegas?

He could build a whole theme for, like, a prom, right?
All guitars I like and often played by my mentors.  I have no interest in guitars that suck, or owning a bunch of guitars for no other reason.  All are great players.

55 LPJr- Leslie West, John Lennon
67 SG Special- Pete Townsend, Carlos Santana, Tony Iommi
335 Knockoff- Larry Carlton, Alvin Lee
Standard Strat- Ritchie Blackmore, Clapton, David Gilmour, Jimi, SRV 
Standard Tele- Robben Ford, Mike Bloomfield, Joe Strummer, Jimmy Page
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
There's no theme of any kind in my collection of guitars. I would call it a hoard rather than a collection.

My approach, which is something I'm perhaps a little bit too proud of these days, is - pure self-indulgence. If I like it and I can afford it, it's mine What anyone else thinks about my choices is of no consequence to me, because ultimately, I'm the one who is going to be playing and enjoying these guitars.

The only thing that could possibly be considered a theme is that most of them are 6 string guitars that are classic designs or some derivative thereof - and that's just because of my taste - I like the classics, I'm not particularly enamoured with modern styled guitars, or the features they tend to offer. classic style guitars tend to give me the type of feel and tone that I enjoy.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Until I thought about it I never gave it much thought,  A lot of my stuff is pretty off the wall and not something you see everyday if ever,  Simply put I don't follow the status quo.  No Strat's Tele's LP's or things that look like something an axe murderer might fancy,  So if there's a theme I guess its Wow you don't see that everyday,  I have 3 of the early First Act Custom Shop USA models,  Sheena, Lola and Delia which get some pretty odd looks, as most people don't even know First Act built high end US made guitars, Or at least use to,   My Backlund model 100, well that just looks weird,  My modified Airline JB Hutto although looks wild when paired with the Roland GR-55 guitar synth also sounds wild,  My Godin XTSA looks pretty normal but its also a Midi, so normal is just a point of view in that case,  Hell even my amps fall into that , Damn Nasty where the hell do you find this stuff? 
First Act, Airline, Godin, Backlund?
nastytroll, you're like my evil twin.

dannyalcatraz  I thought about buying a Strat once, But what kind of role model would I be for my children?    Here's a funny one, That Lola got damaged awhile back so I sent it off to Kelly Butler who made it in the first place,  He talked me into painting it antique white with a tortoise pick guard,  My kid looks at me and says how about a pearloid purple pick guard instead?   I'm like Oh crap what have I created.  Guitars not finished yet but it should be something to see when it does come home, 
Ippon You already have a theme: Lots of them.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Ippon

BOring! Clearly, stuck in a rut.

Rule #1 with guitar collecting - there are no rules!

In general, I assign a tuning/purpose to my guitars, but thats about it. In my case...

SG - Standard tuning, multi-purpose guitar.
V #1 - Standard tuning, metal & hard rock
V #2 - D tuning, metal
DK2M - D tuning w/floyd rose, metal.

Clearly, I need a strat, and another acoustic (to replace one that was sold) to round things out. I may give extended range guitars another (a third) go as well.

You'll find what works for you
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
My future.

OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at May 8, 2017,
JustRooster

I don't think you could cultivate the "Crazy Asian Axeman" look too well.

OTOH, one "Strat" from every company that makes a decent one? That would be an interesting collection.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
JustRooster

I don't think you could cultivate the "Crazy Asian Axeman" look too well.

OTOH, one "Strat" from every company that makes a decent one? That would be an interesting collection.

I've owned several, just not all simultaneously.
JustRooster
Never warmed up to the original- I like Stratclones, but have only owned that Fret-King (which I love).

But my G.A.S. list has many: Carvin, G&L, Fernandes, Godin, Blade, Bill Lawrence...

I've owned Fender, Squier, G&L, Godin, Logan, ESP, Carvin, Tokai, and Charvel. Almost bought a Tagliere, but I hated the Z glide.
JustRooster

Couldn't warm up to the texture?

Couldn't tell you any specific reasoning, just didn't fit with me, I guess.
Quote by JustRooster
I've owned Fender, Squier, G&L, Godin, Logan, ESP, Carvin, Tokai, and Charvel. Almost bought a Tagliere, but I hated the Z glide.

But it was ribbed for your pleasure. 
Quote by JustRooster
My future.

As an actor in a Japanese horror movie?

The Ring (of Guitars)....

No theme. Never heard of anybody doing that. I own too many guitars because when I started playing 40 years ago I could only afford one guitar at a time. If I wanted a new guitar I had to trade or sell my current one. As time progressed and I started getting paid for gigs I got three guitars. One solid body, one semi hollow and one acoustic but for years it was the same mantra. If I wanted a new guitar I had to trade or sell another. In the early 80's I finally got a decent full time job and I decided that any money I make playing gigs would buy me new "toys". I decided that if I bought a guitar and liked it, I was keeping it no matter how many I would end up owning. Few of my current 25 or so guitars are anything valuable or highly collectable. I just like them or did at one time. I have never bought a guitar because I was "investing" or thought it would be worth more someday. I buy guitars mostly to get a certain sound I don't already have but I must admit that these days I pretty much have all those sounds available and now I buy new ones just to because I want to. Isn't that the true definition of GAS.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at May 9, 2017,
No real theme to my collection I have 15 half are superstrats the other half are V, X, or some version of those plus one Fender offset.

I really only have so many superstrats because I have a friend that scours pawn/music shops and buys anything he likes then sells them to me when he finds something different, 3 are MIJ Jacksons, an 89 MIJ Charvel, an 87 Kramer, plus a Washburn Parallaxe and 7 String Schecter (my only 7). I could probably stand to thin the heard a bit but I won't take a loss to do it.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at May 9, 2017,
No theme to my ever-growing/shrinking collection of circa 30-ish guitars.  I pretty much stick to guitars I like.  About 1/4 are Strats, 1/4 are Offsets, the rest are either really cheap guitars or stuff I built myself using a mixture of hand-made parts and cast-off parts, it made this hobby VERY cheap for me compared to for other people because rather than go out and buying some super-expensive part to impress the gear snobs, I'd go buy cheap parts, and either improve them, or replace them with something sensible that could do the job well.  Sometimes I buy cheap guitars or guitars with odd modification (ie Jag-Stangs with Active pickups, Obscure Signature models made by not very reputable manufacturers who had a great heyday, cheap crap that I can do clever cheap hacks to quickly fix and put on stage/studio with quality results).

Through it I've gained a lot of electronics skills, some pretty decent woodworking skills, not to mention luthiery skills, and some metal working skills, sort of a jack of all trades master of none sort of thing.  THis allowed me to start collecting at age 14 and amass over 30 guitars by age 30. I'm 34 now, seems for every one I got rid of between 2010 and 2014, I've gotten one back out of my "rainy day projects", lol.

I've sold a few, mostly guitars that stopped getting played as much, but my collection as it is now is really fun because I pretty much have only one real problem that involves myself, and that's deciding WHICH one to play.  Sometimes for gigs my wife will help (gets her involved and makes her feel important) because she's sort of my "fashion consultant" of sorts, sometimes I decide because I need a certain sound I know 3-4 ways to get it and which guitar is the most convenient for whatever it is I'm trying to do.  Sometimes I'm just hankering to play a certain one.

Maintainance is handled much more easily, because more guitars, the less strings wear out, and the longer they last, at least that's my experience.  Some guitars last longer than others and which ones that do depend on how much I'm playing them, and that changes a lot.  Right now I'm looking to put Paradigms on most of my guitars if they work out well on my Jag-Stang (which thus far they are) which should cheapen the string replacements further.  Some guitars need setup more often, some less, and I know each one intimately enough that know which ones need a setup/intonation/adjustment more than the others.  THat also determines what goes out live and what stays at home as a "studio guitar".  It also puts less wear and tear on vibratos, pots, switches, jacks, frets, tuning keys, and other parts that wear out under heavy use - though I do upgrade those vital items in the rare case they do break/wear out.

Probably the only real issue in owning so many that I find is other people's stupid opinions on it.  Mostly non-musicians whom think that you need to be Paul McCartney or Eric Clapton to justify owning more than one guitar.  They can go take their opinions and jam em' up their collective assholes for all I care.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Last edited by Mad-Mike_J83 at May 9, 2017,
I have a basic theme..

Electric guitar
Electric Bass
Steel string acoustic
Nylon string acoustic
The only theme I really have is 2 guitars per tuning, and 24-fret...at least as a goal. I have 2 in Drop C, 1 in Drop B, 1 7-string in standard (and a semi-Custom Agile coming in July). My next goal is to get a second axe for Drop B. It would be cool to see a V-shape and/or Tele in the collection, but 24-frets get tricky to find on the latter, unless you go custom. Do I need them? No, not at all, but as I said before, this is basically a hobby, so I do what I want, because practicality isn't a priority because I'm not doing this professionally. If I make money off this, great, but in the meantime, I'm here to have fun.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Mine is guitars I like.  No theme.

Mine used to be women, and there was a theme. I like my women like I like my coffee. Cold and bitter. 
Page 1 of 2