Hi all,

Bought a new 7 string earlier, I figure I should ask for the answers to these questions before I actually receive my guitar tomorrow

1. When I emailed the guitar company, they told me the guitar went through quality control and should already be set up, however they recommended I check it myself and adjust it for humidity reasons (for a guy who's never setup a guitar in his life, how does one set up a guitar for humidity?)

2. The guitar is a slightly fanned fretted (26.25” – 25.5” scale) 7 string guitar, for Drop A tuning (fixed bridge), can you recommend me a string/gauge set? If genre affects type of strings, I mostly want to use the guitar for metal, and occasionally for playing melody/cleans. Also, speaking of scale length, how does the longer/shorter scale length affect the string? I'm guessing its a matter of pitch accuracy, but I remember someone on YT mentioned something about guitars with extended range, it makes the higher pitch strings harder to play? Not that I'm planning to build a guitar in the future, but I'm curious..

3. Lastly, are there any pros/cons about raising/lowering the action or pickups?

Thanks
-P
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
You don't set it up for humidity, you just check and adjust the setup because the climate where you are might be different than where the guitar was made, so some things might have shifted or settled in transit. 

Not about pitch accuracy. Longer scale lets you have more tension in the strings, so using it for the low strings keeps them from being floppy and loose, which is especially good for drop tunings where things can get messy. 

Action and pickups are preference things. Do what you want. 
how did you find a new strandberg?
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by AcousticMirror

It's not the 2017 version, the boden os 7's (on the main store) were out of stock at the time (save for a blue/rosewood one, but imo that doesn't look as great as blue/maple), so I poked around the site, found the "Specials" section, more poking around, and found that they were selling an EMG 707X version of the OS 7 as well as the Lace Alumnitones version (I know some here may like active pickups, but personally I don't like the worry of having to swap batteries now and then, and heard some reviews about the 707x's sounding "artificial"(?), so I went with the lace pickups)

If you want the links to them, here you go (@Mods sorry if adding links like this isn't allowed, I apologize in advance)
Lace w/ maple fretboard: https://strandbergguitars.com/product/os7lace-maple-black-satin/
Lace w/ rosewood fretboard: https://strandbergguitars.com/product/os7lace-rosewood-black-satin/
EMG 707X version: https://strandbergguitars.com/product/os-7-special-maple-black-satin/

They're available only in black satin is not because they're used or damaged in any way. I emailed support about that, its just that the flamed maple top, when they got it from the factory, didn't meet their standards, so they just painted it satin black and sold it. I went with the lace/rosewood version (i originally wanted to go lace/maple but heard that maple looks "dirty" over time so rosewood it is. But in retrospect, now that I think of it, all my other guitars are black/rosewood themes. I should really consider adding variety shouldn't I...) Also, how did you figure out it was a strandberg? Nowhere in my original post did I mention it..
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Last edited by Parac at May 6, 2017,
Parac

only strandberg uses a 25.5-26.25 fan as standard.

also because I just got one. teeheeee

Quote by AcousticMirror
Parac

only strandberg uses a 25.5-26.25 fan as standard.

also because I just got one. teeheeee

Ahh, that explains it then, I actually didn't know that Strandberg is the only one that used that 25.5 - 26.25 fan (I thought all fanned fret guitars used it)

You have one too? How you liking it? Mine will arrive tomorrow, i'm excited, maybe too excited as I've been losing sleep over it
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Quote by Parac
Ahh, that explains it then, I actually didn't know that Strandberg is the only one that used that 25.5 - 26.25 fan (I thought all fanned fret guitars used it)

You have one too? How you liking it? Mine will arrive tomorrow, i'm excited, maybe too excited as I've been losing sleep over it

traded for a used one. should get here tomorrow or the day after.

There's really no standardized fan. A lot of companies use 25.5 - 27 though. Strandberg I think is the only one that uses 26.25 as standard.

Quote by AcousticMirror

On a lark, I decided to see what eBay had in terms of a used Kiesel VM7 or a Strandberg.  I think there was a single Kiesel, but a TON of Strandbergs -- I have no idea why. The Kiesel was a nice piece, but the guy ordered it with a "tone knob delete", and I think he regretted it and is now regretting it even more as he tries to sell it on. 
Quote by dspellman
On a lark, I decided to see what eBay had in terms of a used Kiesel VM7 or a Strandberg.  I think there was a single Kiesel, but a TON of Strandbergs -- I have no idea why. The Kiesel was a nice piece, but the guy ordered it with a "tone knob delete", and I think he regretted it and is now regretting it even more as he tries to sell it on. 

Ya very few vaders. Reverb has a few. but only one multi scale. Supplies dried up significantly a few months ago. I think all the people that bought multi scales to try out and realized they didn't like them sold that first batch to people that want multi scales.

only one boden os on eBay as well. the rest are really expensive j-series

Quote by dspellman

I think it would be extremely easy to add a tone pot/knob unless it's recessed underneath on the top (e.g. Shecter C bodies) which the VM7 is not.  Since it's a custom build I don't see how it could effect the value or resale or make someone regret not having it in the 1st place.  
Quote by Way Cool JR.
I think it would be extremely easy to add a tone pot/knob unless it's recessed underneath on the top (e.g. Shecter C bodies) which the VM7 is not.  Since it's a custom build I don't see how it could effect the value or resale or make someone regret not having it in the 1st place.  

it's an option 50 so you don't get a 10 day trial.

Quote by Way Cool JR.

I don't have qualms about putting holes in guitars, but a lot of folks do. There's also the question of whether they made the control cavity smaller, I suppose. I'd probably drag my feet a bit on a two-grand guitar that I had to "fix" before it was "normal" unless there was a substantial discount (or at least I'd present my buyer's offer that way <G>.  Might just as well go to the source and have one done the way you want it in the first place. 
Quote by Parac

Most of the less expensive multi-scale guitars seem to want to stay with scales that are instantly recognizable to guitar players, and for which there are fret templates available, I suppose. It's probably not the smartest thing to do from a playing standpoint, since the number of strings and the width of the fretboard will change the fret angles. Also important is the choice of the "horizontal fret" (usually the 7th, sometimes the 9th). One fret will be perpendicular to the neck, the rest will be angled, and the angles on those frets will have a lot to do with the choice of horizontal fret. 
Parac 
where'd you go. did you get eaten by your ngd.

Quote by AcousticMirror
Parac
where'd you go. did you get eaten by your ngd.

Sorry, been busy the past few days,

relating to why seeing more Strandbergs than Vaders, I think it's because the new strandies are coming out (the 2017 models), if guitars work like phone upgrades, people are probably trying to sell their old strandbergs to get enough money for a newer model..
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Did you get your guitar yet

Quote by AcousticMirror
Did you get your guitar yet

Yup, really liking it so far, after messing with it for a little short of a week, I've realized that i can play it nearly anywhere, in my room, in the car, in the shower, on the toilet, in the hallway, in the closet, in the living room, outside in the backyard, the list goes on and on. And I dunno whether it's the pickups or the guitar wood (does wood really make a difference?), but using the same tone settings I use for my normal playing on my 6 string guitar, I can't really describe it, but something about the output sounds that come from the strandy, it just sounds better. And thanks to the strandberg tech who originally ran it through a quality control check and had it set up in B standard, he did it so well that the GC tech only charged me for the new pack of strings and restringing rather than a full near 70$ for setup (Strandberg guy, if you're reading this, thank you);

The only downside that I don't like? While it is easier than trying to setup and restring a floyd rose, it's certainly more risky than a normal hardtail/string-through-the-back restringing. The fact that it's headless, leaves no space for winding extra string with headstock tuners. Once you string the strandy up, you clip the strings, and if it slips or if you didn't unwind the bridge tuners enough (that you run out of room to tune the pitch a bit higher), sorry, time to get a new string or string pack (which imo isn't cheap. $15 for a pack of 7 strings)

TL;DR: it feels and sounds great, also it's quite an eye catcher (had a guitar tech in a GC setting it up for me, every now and then, an employee comes by "whoa! is that a strandy?"). The only cons that I can think of are the proprietary screws and parts (reminds me of Apple, parts that aren't really easy to find unless purchased directly from the seller/manufacturer), and the restringing "what if?" nightmare
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato