Greeting ladies and gentlemen!

I have a gig today and other bands are playing too. My band plays shows on a regular basis and so we rehearse a lot to be tight in our live performance and entertain the audience. We try our best to be as professional as possible as we get paid to play. Due to that we have a no drugs before show policy. One beer is okay but no more. But with a lot of the other bands we play with it seems to be quite the opposite of what we do. They sound horrible and don't seem to know their songs. They are usually quite drunk when playing. Even though we are the stoner rock band . And each and every time I wonder if I should tell them that they suck. In a nice way of course. It occurs to me that most of the time those bands don't even realize how bad they are. They even go around telling everyone how awesome they were.

So, what do you think? Should you tell bands that suck that they suck?
Be polite.

Then make love to them.

Then whisper in their ears, "your band sucks" as you're putting your well-fitting jeans back on and leaving their apartment (after you've eaten the lovely breakfast they made for you).
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
well then tuck in your button-up.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
You could phrase it in a way that they don't know it's 100% insult. 

"I think it's sad that most groups try to sound good in a conventional way. Your band doesn't worry about stuff like that!". 
snipelfritz oh i always wear one, a tie and a waistcoat to gigs so people don't know what to expect.

TobusRex maybe I'll try that one. I'll let you know in case I survive the drunken bassist rage or the vocalists ego.
Quote by maxxxkolo
snipelfritz oh i always wear one, a tie and a waistcoat to gigs so people don't know what to expect.

TobusRex maybe I'll try that one. I'll let you know in case I survive the drunken bassist rage or the vocalists ego.

A drunken bassist is just a friend you haven't punched in the mouth yet!
Quote by maxxxkolo
Greeting ladies and gentlemen!

I have a gig today and other bands are playing too. My band plays shows on a regular basis and so we rehearse a lot to be tight in our live performance and entertain the audience. We try our best to be as professional as possible as we get paid to play. Due to that we have a no drugs before show policy. One beer is okay but no more. But with a lot of the other bands we play with it seems to be quite the opposite of what we do. They sound horrible and don't seem to know their songs. They are usually quite drunk when playing. Even though we are the stoner rock band . And each and every time I wonder if I should tell them that they suck. In a nice way of course. It occurs to me that most of the time those bands don't even realize how bad they are. They even go around telling everyone how awesome they were.

So, what do you think? Should you tell bands that suck that they suck?

If that's what they choose to do then that's their own problem, right? 

Although I think there's a right way and a wrong way of telling another band how to improve. If you just say they suck, or that you're better than them or whatever, then you guys would just look like dicks, whereas if you maybe suggest to them that taking drugs isn't good idea, they might be more receptive. Either that or it would go in one ear and out the other.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I would just remember that relationship building is key, and it is very easy to be 'that' band that no-one wants to play alongside anymore because they're being self-important and handing out advice and opinions where it isn't wanted. Just be mindful of that.
Unwanted input is usually something that will cause people to not like you. If they ask how you liked it I would just tell them they "sounded good" and walk away. At that point your being nice but "sound" is different than playing so your not really lying. If they are that messed up they will eventually stop getting booked (for lack of professionalism) and break up. Also when they go on they make you sound better so in all actuality they are doing you a favor.
The best way to tell them they suck is to simply leave.  Playing to an empty room is a big clue they still have some work to do.

If they ask how I liked it I will never tell them they suck.  I will pick one song that didn't totally assault my ears and say "Hey I really liked ##### tonight, good groove!"  and leave it at that.  Criticizing the band, the players, or their song choices on the night of a gig will only make you look like a self-righteous jerk.  

So rather than sharing the stage with a bunch of going-nowhere bands, why not learn some more songs and do the whole gig yourself?
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at May 7, 2017,
Quote by maxxxkolo
snipelfritz Sounds resonable. But what if I don't wear jeans but chinos?

nice
Free Ali
Free Lard
Cajundaddy we, as a band, are only booked to play for example 30 minutes or an hour. We could play more but the venue usually wants more then one band playing, as more bands will bring more people with them. We could play 2 hours but nobody who isn't a fan of the band wants to listen to 2 hours of original songs they don't know.
Throw beer at them and call them faggots.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
If they're your friends and you're legit concerned, offer to film the show for them.  Focus on the horrible parts and send them your edit.

If they're not your friends, screw it.  You benefit in no way by telling them
Does it make a difference to you? for example, you're their manager/label/booking agent?

Do you like being a bit of a dick?

Are you happy to have your chin tested by the big drunk bassist?

If you answered no to any of these 3, probably avoid telling them and just say "Nice set man!". You might even get a post show beer out of it.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Bands who suck will find out when people stop listening and venues stop paying. No need to heap on the abuse. Also, good bands have bad nights.
Death to Ovation haters!
Hey, sucking isn't illegal! There's lots of hugely popular acts that suck. The trick is to have a good hook of some kind, to draw the crowds in. 
Quote by maxxxkolo
We could play 2 hours but nobody who isn't a fan of the band wants to listen to 2 hours of original songs they don't know.

This sounds like a formula for failure.  Run as fast as you can from these loser pay-to-play joints and write some songs that ATTRACT fresh ears.  Then go play every street fair, Kiwanis Club, Wed nigh bar, college campus lunch hour, frat party, backyard party, and rock each gig like it will be your last.  No way to make your mark if the only ones willing to listen to your music are your close friends, your girlfriend, and your mom.  

Get out now!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Fuck yeah tell them they suck. No one wants to hear shitty bands and when a band can't even properly play the songs in there set they need to be told they suck and maybe next they will try a little harder. 
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
Quote by mattedbird
i told les claypool he sucked one time.  he wouldn't quit playing

Bass players never take good advice. 
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
Quote by MurrcuryFoxx

i thk he thought i was talking to the drummer
They said Layne Staley sucked too
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
I can't think of a single reason why you would tell them that they suck.

If they actually suck, people won't go to their shows and they will cease to be a band. They don't need a guy from another band to tell them if they suck.
Nah suck it up and keep your mouth shut for the sake of keeping up good relationships in the scene and networking.

just don't stick around or pay attention to their sets if you want to make some kind of point, but don't actually say something verbally.

audience turnout and merch purchases will tell them everything. though sure if they have enough friends in the local scene, they might think they are better than they are with all their friends buying their stuff and seeing their shows but the minute they try and tour in a wider area and see blank stares and empty rooms, they'll get it.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
maxxxkolo Yeah, it would really be unprofessional.  It's really no business of yours.  Also, if they suck during their sets, it will just make your sound that much better by comparison.
let the numbers do the talking
if youre man enough, some good direction wont hurt..
okay i wont lie itll hurt a little 
27mMoV31II7.a2
Quote by donender
whereas if you maybe suggest to them that taking drugs isn't good idea, they might be more receptive
this is not realistic
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by MurrcuryFoxx

I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by K33nbl4d3
this is not realistic

Well like I said, it might just go in one ear and out the other. Probably the more likely outcome.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by donender
If that's what they choose to do then that's their own problem, right? 

Although I think there's a right way and a wrong way of telling another band how to improve. If you just say they suck, or that you're better than them or whatever, then you guys would just look like dicks, whereas if you maybe suggest to them that taking drugs isn't good idea, they might be more receptive. Either that or it would go in one ear and out the other.

Heheheh usually when someone tells me i should stop drinking or smoking weed, my first response is to smoke more weed and drink more.
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by Harvey Swick
They said Layne Staley sucked too

who said that?
his vocals were even better live than in studio
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank