Saturday Psychotronics: Crystal Age - Far Beyond Divine Horizons

Crystal Age was a Swedish death metal act that released their one and only album in 1995. The guitarist and vocalist on this album is one of the founding members of fucking HAMMERFALL. Hammerfall became the main focus when it had its first taste of success, and so Crystal Age was disbanded. Not that Crystal Age was the most original thing ever, but one has to wonder how none of this thoughtfulness, speed, grit, or technicality managed to make it's way over to Hammerfall. Far Beyond Divine Horizons is a deep concept album that passes itself off as a sci-fi epic with a lot of sci-fi, fantasy, and religious themes and imagery, but it's really all just an elaborate metaphorical tale of self-fulfillment. The protagonist travels through space and time and is influenced by Satan, Jesus, God, and other celestial beings, only to renounce their words and instead believe in the strength of his own being.

Or not. I have no fucking clue.

Storyteller:
"I am welcoming Thee to a tale of magical
mystery. Sit back and listen with care, relax
and imagine that you were there.

Once upon a time, in a Galaxy far, oh far away,
a man was standing on the open plain. Eyes
distressed, a deep frown on his brow, he
thought: "What if I felt anger and knelt to
none but myself, would I crumble and melt in
Flames of Rage or be locked in a cage, like a
Doomsday Sage?"
Frightened but proud, he yelled out loud "I'm
my own Sanctum, set apart from
the crowd. No Entities shall rule my domain, I
am the Sovereign.

Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Was listening to this the other day. As you said, not the most original album, nor perfect in execution, - but still an interesting, left-of-field record that strived for more than repeating what was already there.

How on earth Hammerfall came out of this, I'll never know. 

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM