Hey,
I don't really have anyone to talk about guitar so I come to you guys to ask you a bunch of questions and I want them answered immediately.

First, listen to this:
https://clyp.it/j3qihdxk

I'm sorry if I just ruined ur favourite song btw.

My questions are:
1. How long have I played?
2. How bad am I?
3. What should I focus more on? And like, if u think my vibrato is bad, give me ur best vibrato video and so on.

Thx for any answers.

You will be rewarded with 72 virgins. Tomorrow.

Love, Norway
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
Last edited by mmalvik1 at May 8, 2017,
Put some more stank on those notes.  Too vanilla.  How long you have played or how bad you are is irrelevant.

See Miles Davis quote below.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at May 6, 2017,
Quote by mmalvik1
My questions are:
1. How long have I played?
2. How bad am I?
3. What should I focus more on? 

1. About a year and a half; that's my guess. 
2. You're not bad. And if I'm correct about question #1, you're doing pretty well, actually.
3. Rhythm, tempo, melody.

“High fly ball into right field. She is… gone!" - Vin Scully
You should focus on timing. I really couldn't feel any kind of pulse behind what you played. So maybe focus on playing accurately in time and maybe start with something more simple. Maybe start with some riffs instead of solos. I think it's easier to learn to play in time by playing something that has more emphasis on the rhythm.

Your bends could also be improved. Make sure your bends are in tune and focus on the timing of your bends - you want to be able to control the speed of your bends (i.e., how long it takes to reach the target pitch).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I think someone could learn to play that in less than 3 months.

I can't tell how good you are without hearing you play rhythm too.

I think your timing is a little out an you do not bend the notes as accuratly as they should be.
You already answered, a year and a half.
Definitely not bad. The song you played was slightly on the simple side, but you played it quite well.
Bending more accurately would be my main suggestion (you over bent a bit around 56 seconds), and there wasn't a backing track so I couldn't tell how good the timing was. Something I suggest to other players (but never seem to get around to myself) is to play with a metronome. Don't play anything complicated, just do scales or something. And no judgement on the bends dude, I mostly play rhythm so I don't pay a lot of attention to that.
Overall, you definitely sound as good as someone who's been playing for 1 1/2 years should. However, it's pretty hard to tell from one song, so that's pretty much just a guess on my part.
You're not playing with any sense of timing, you just play 6 or so notes with a few bends in it, wait 2 seconds, and then play the same thing, but a bit little higher up the same pentatonic box. What timing are you using to determine the pauses between your playing? You're also not bending your strings in tune.

Gain a sense of timing using a metronome, and play riffs rather than attempt to play leads. Playing riffs help to establish playing in time more than leads do. Learn some chords and basic progressions if you haven't already and expand in your rhythm playing from there.

There's not really much else I can tell you, given it's so minimalist.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I would say, as others have, a big thing to focus on is bending. Accuracy and confidence, which go hand in hand, will do great things for how your leads sound - essentially you want to go into a bend knowing where you're bending to, as opposed to searching for the right note as you're bending, which is kind of how it sounds to me now. Getting that confidence with it will really help you to sound more professional - and I think is a big part of that "stank" Cajundaddy was talking about. You've got SRV as your avatar - his bends were fast and precise and always authoritative; I think practising some of his stuff like "Crossfire" would help (don't worry about the faster runs if you can't do them yet, that's not the focus here), as it's full of quick bends.

As far as your vibrato is concerned, it's not bad but it could be improved. Main thing is, if you're not already, you should probably be doing your vibrato by turning your hand, pivoting with the side of your hand on the edge of the fretboard (or at least, that is the technique I was taught and it works best for me, but it needn't be an absolute if you reckon you're onto something that works for you). Work on doing it consistently, slowly, then speed it up.

I can take a shot at doing a video to demonstrate any of the above if you think it would be helpful.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
there's a difference between playing notes and playing music. i could tell that you were thinking about what you were playing way to muc rather than just letting it flow.  as for how good you are just playing a 1 minute practiced piece really doesn't tell me much so no way to really gauge you. 
Quote by mmalvik1

aaand booho? I couldn't do that in three months, no way. Maybe i just suck then

How long you have been playing is pretty much irrelevant. It has to do with what and how effectively you have been practicing. You don't "suck". You just need to practice more. Remember not to compare yourself to others. Some people learn faster than others (and some people also spend a lot more time practicing and know how to practice effectively) and there will always be someone who's better than you.

So don't worry about it. Worrying about stuff like that can only demotivate you.

I think PSimonR was just making a guess about how long you have been playing (because that was one of the questions you wanted us to answer).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Thx for the feedback guys Appreciate it!

So, anything u want me to play and upload for a better chance of rating my (as i obviously know ) lack of skill?

I can try SOYCD again slower f.ex. As some of u already mentioned I kinda ran through that quickly just to get the upload ready.

If that is a bad song I can play (parts of) Stairway to heaven, Nothign Else Matters, Little wing, All Along The Watchtower, Lenny.. When i practice i like to practice music that I like, so I dont know if any of these songs are a good test. I just like the variety and the fact that there's alot of fingerplay. I'm not the biggest fan of chords so far tbh. Which I already know is bad. But guitar is just a hobby, i''m not going to become the next Gilmour or anything. I just wanna do good on something i find entertaining.

If u have a suggestion on a song I could learn that is wise for my lvl I take suggestions aswell.
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
MaggaraMarine
Haha, I don't worry much. Just want some input from better guys since as I mentioned earlier I don't really have anyone to talk to about guitar.

How long I've been playing compared to how bad I am is kinda relevant to me, though. If im right where i should be at 1 and a half year I'm happy enough.
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
Roc8995
Dude, this is my awesome guitar solo?? Hello?

(For those that don't know, i posted this thread in recordings.. second time it's been moved)
Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112
It got moved by mistake to Electric Guitar, which isn't the place for videos. 

Read the subforum descriptions and rules to avoid having your threads moved in the first place
Quote by Roc8995
It got moved by mistake to Electric Guitar, which isn't the place for videos. 

Read the subforum descriptions and rules to avoid having your threads moved in the first place

Cort Les Paul 250

Peavey Studio Pro 112