Hi there Shredders!

So as you probably all know, in Metal it has become quite common to play your guitar hanging really low.
For instance look at bands like Korn, Five Finger Death Punch and every deathcore band ever.

So it crossed my mind, I am used to playing my guitar low, but not REALLY low.
So since a few weeks I have been practising on playing really low.
Only the thing is, I use Chickenpicks and Dragon Heart's, which tend to slide off the string while playing,
because theyre so tough and made to be played normally, and not in such and angled position.

So are there any pick out there designed for really low playing?
I've done some googling and the SikPik kinda does that, but not as much.

So if you guys have any suggestions on what picks are really great for playing really low, please tell me which work for you!

Sincerely,

TheSennaj.
Picks aren't designed with that in mind. Dude just because others do that doesn't mean you have to. Playing with the guitar at your knees just makes it harder. Nothing cool about that
+1 to monwobobbo.

Also, playing like that's a good way to fuck up your wrist and assorted soft tissues in your arm.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
+1 to monwobobbo.

Also, playing like that's a good way to fuck up your wrist and assorted soft tissues in your arm.

This.

Not to mention, your picking accuracy, fretting dexterity, and tone itself is hindered. Ideally, your guitar should be at the same level as when you're sitting. It might look cool but it'll hold you back.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Well, I am very much aware of those things, but if this is what I prefer than that's the way I am gonna go.
I made this thread to ask for tips that cold help nailing low playing, not why I should not be doing it.

So if you do have tips, please feel very welcome to share them!
Sorry but can't help you be dumb. Your ? Was answered picks aren't designed for that purpose
Quote by TheSennaj
Well, I am very much aware of those things, but if this is what I prefer than that's the way I am gonna go.
I made this thread to ask for tips that cold help nailing low playing, not why I should not be doing it.

So if you do have tips, please feel very welcome to share them!

enjoy your carpal tunnel and tendonitis!
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
All I can say is find one with a comfy grip.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

You could try something like this, just grip it higher up for more length

Or, if that's not long enough to reach your low slung guitar strings, you could try a lute pick.
These are about 135 mm. long

Holding your guitar that low is more about showmanship than playing for most people.  You should hold your guitar at the height that is most comfortable for me.  I hold my guitar very high (it covers my chest) because that is where it is comfortable.  If you are gigging on want to look cool slowly move your guitar down over the course of several weeks and you will eventually be able to play it really low without the need for special equipment.
Not taking any online orders.
All jokes aside, it's an obvious problem.

I assume your right handed, and assume you pick mainly from the wrist.

Changing pick angle attack by either twisting in your grip or using a cheat pick like the SikPik won't help.
It's to do with the pivot point.

Hold your left finger about belly button height and make out your picking it with your right hand. You will notice your right wrist pivots roughly in line with the left finger(string).
Now lower your left finger to your knee. Try to make out like your picking. You will see the pivot point has moved around 90 odd degrees. You are now just stroking your finger side to side.
Angle your left finger upwards now, like you are tilting the neck so you can actually fret something, and the problem gets worse.

The only solutions are, bend wrist anti clockwise, like Marty Friedman style, or change picking to an up down slicing motion, or lift your guitar up.

Check out how guys like Alexi Laiho play. He has his slung not extreme low, but sticks the neck up near his ear, and even supports the body higher on his knee.
Quote by TheSennaj
AcousticMirror 

Enjoy puberty and growing up, it's clear that it is something you are yet to experience.

Sorry if the correct answer wasn't what you wanted to hear.

You seriously risk contracting tendonitis and carpal tunnel syndrome playing guitar that low. It seems absurd that this even needs to be said, but a guitar pick isn't going to stop you from contracting medical conditions that can literally force you to kiss your guitar-playing days goodbye.

And when such a position prevents you from actually playing the guitar properly, it really creates the opposite effect of looking cool.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
T00DEEPBLUE So if playing low makes hand fall off, does that mean that Slash has been using 30 diffrent hands in his career?

Its not something I didnt want to READ (not hear), but its just not what I asked for, of course I am aware of the risk, and I wasnt planning on doing it all the time 24/7. Knowing that its not the best thing to do, I was asking for tips in how to do it the best way possible.

Same goes for smoking, I dont do it all, but if I would id do in the most unhealthy way, using filter  etc.

So instead of trying to be a forum wiseass, try being a forum hero, and give some tips if you got em.

"If you have got nothing useful to say, say something nice. If you havent got anything nice to say, dont say nothing at all"
-Gandhi
TheSennaj Using a bad technique, knowing that such a technique risks the contraction of medical conditions that can end your days as a guitar player is never something I could recommend under any circumstance.

I know, sounds ridiculous doesn't it?

Sometimes the information you actually receive is a lot more useful and relevant than the information you originally asked for.
Quote by TheSennaj

"If you have got nothing useful to say, say something nice. If you havent got anything nice to say, dont say nothing at all"
-Gandhi

So basically say 'something'?

Thanks Gandhi!
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
T00DEEPBLUE You mean like constantly using your phone, tablet or pc to act like a now-it-all wiseass and responding constantly hoping that someone says your right aint good for your hands and fingers as well. So not only are you indeed sounding ridiculous, youre making yourself look ridiculous as well.

So unless you actually have anything helpful, I'd appreciate you stopping with your childish behaviour, thanks in advance.

Have a nice night.
TheSennaj If being a "now(sic)-it-all wiseass" in your eyes also means giving the correct answer, then sure. Feel free to call me whatever you like, along with everybody else who gave you the advice you need to know.

But don't take our words for it, enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis for yourself.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well now youre giving a subjective answer to on objective question, thus meaning your argument is invalid. (And its know not now)

And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
TheSennaj If being a "now(sic)-it-all wiseass" in your eyes also means possessing the correct answer, then sure. Feel free to call me whatever you like, along with everybody else who gave you the advice you need to know.

But don't take our words for it, enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis for yourself.
Quote by TheSennaj
(And its know not now)

I know. And that's the wording you originally used.
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.

There comes a point when trying to reason with a person to not hurt themselves becomes totally futile. That point has been obliterated.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quo

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I know. And that's the wording you originally used.

There comes a point when trying to reason with a person to not hurt themselves becomes totally futile. That point has been obliterated.

Again, a subjective argument, and thus invalid.

I dont know the point youre talking about, but this is the point I stop replying to you because right now a carpal tunnel is less painful than the way my brain hurts when I read your words of utter stupidity, never have I EVER come across someone with weaker and less viable arguments than you.

Goodnight, grow brains, and play your guitar above your nipples, its better four your hand. 
(Not like you have another option considering the fact that you get a hard on thinking you actually have anything useful to say, guess what you dont)

Byebye sweetheart. X
TheSennaj

"If you have got nothing useful to say, say something nice. If you havent got anything nice to say, dont say nothing at all" isn't a Gandhi quote, sorry. AFAIK, that mutilated formulation is a mish-mash of similar aphorisms from Churchill, Twain and others, closing with a partial quote lifted from Thumper in Bambi.

As for "sounding ridiculous"- that mangled "quote" plus your general hardheadedness and poor spelling is winning you that title here, hands down.

By warning you of the risks involved in using a technique that is a known risk factor to your health & longevity as a guitarist, we are being helpful. Sorry you don't see that, but that's the truth.

Quote by TheSennaj
I dont know the point youre talking about, but this is the point I stop replying to you because right now a carpal tunnel is less painful than the way my brain hurts when I read your words of utter stupidity, never have I EVER come across someone with weaker and less viable arguments than you.

Goodnight, grow brains, and play your guitar above your nipples, its better four your hand. 
(Not like you have another option considering the fact that you get a hard on thinking you actually have anything useful to say, guess what you dont)

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well moving past the stupidity of others, I'm no longer maken posts on this thread that are 'dedicated to the uneducated'.

Tips and other helpful posts are still 200% welcome!
Gnothi seauton.

Leaving aside all of this - you don't need to hang a guitar like a bib, in spite of the popular ideal of having it in the same place you have it when sitting down (which is valid advice, though not always the best choice for playing - usually it is when it comes to metal); however, if it is so low you cannot pick properly, you need to be looking for a happy medium between what you want and what you can do. I believe Dunlop does some picks with angled tips, but I expect you will find this an unsatisfactory solution. There isn't a satisfactory one if all you want is to go lower than you can manage. Stick to what you did before - there is a hard limit on how low your guitar can be and it is approximately the length of your arm Unless you're a gorilla that is probably higher than the floor. So be realistic about what you can do, and if it's out of reach with a normal pick it's probably out of reach with a fancy one.

In the meantime, please don't antagonise moderators who are merely trying to steer you away from medically inadvisable life choices. You don't have to agree with them, or like their tone, but since they're moderators you're best off pretending you do
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one