Do You Think It's Right For An American To Use British Slang or Phrases?

Poll: Do you think it's right?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you think it's right?
Doesn't really matter to me
20 53%
I guess so...
5 13%
No (explain)
7 18%
Maybe?
6 16%
Voters: 38.
Page 1 of 3
I myself, think it's somewhat wannabe-ish to use "British" slang or phrases. But I still catch myself using some as I watch an ass ton of top gear. What do you guys think?
Last edited by TROUnation at May 6, 2017,
I voted maybe, because sometimes it's funny to use it if you're joking around with friends or poking fun at something. But I wouldn't use it in regular conversation, that would be cringe af. Just be yourself, there's enough British wannabes out there.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Cultural appropriation!
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
My mom works in a restaurant owned by a British guy that  did all he could to make it as British. The same guys brother owns a British auto restoration shop for classic British cars and my brother is the head mechanic at that shop  having grown up around that and it being a large part of the town I grew up in British culture and slang has become part of my every day life. So I vote it doesn't matter people are  going to emulate what they are around take TROUnation  post for example.
They can't stop us Let 'em try For heavy metal We will die!
What does rightness have to do with it?
Quote by Gatecrasher53
Cultural appropriation!
Close the borders! Erect a wall/fence/wall/fence/wall
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Yeah why not. It's only slang. My only bugbear is when people don't pronounce "twat" properly. It rhymes with "hat" and "bat" not "what".
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Yeah, we can use any British slang we like. We're 2-0 vs those pricks. 
I dunno.

In the latest season of Line of Duty I honestly thought the junior detective was the thandi newton character's daughter for a couple minutes, because I forgot that with a british accent "ma'am" sounds like "mom".
I don't see anything wrong with trying to be smarter.

Besides, enough shit over here is copied from America.
Quote by Masquirina
I dunno.

In the latest season of Line of Duty I honestly thought the junior detective was the thandi newton character's daughter for a couple minutes, because I forgot that with a british accent "ma'am" sounds like "mom".

i thought she was saying mum half the time the annoying little twerp god she was so annoying 
Yeah and it seemed like way too many "ma'ams" for that to be the word. Reminded me of kids when they're being sarcastically over-obedient.
Quote by Gatecrasher53
Cultural appropriation!  

This. America has been independent for over 200 years so stop stealing our language you damn burger munchers.  
I have nothing important to say
No its not ok cuzzy. You mericans stole our language now you wanna speak like us too. Stealing all that land not enough for you? Pls continue eating XXL mcdonald burgers with extra cheese and 5 litres of cocacola before snorting meth and glorifying billionaire psychopaths pls.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
it doesn't matter but it is generally pretty embarrassing
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
British slang is asinine and makes no sense. I don't know why I would want to use it.

Quote by OddOneOut
Yeah why not. It's only slang. My only bugbear is when people don't pronounce "twat" properly. It rhymes with "hat" and "bat" not "what".

I have never met anyone that pronounces it like that. Literally zero.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
British slang is asinine and makes no sense.  I don't know why I would want to use it.

I have never met anyone that pronounces it like that.  Literally zero.

No shit. All the Brits I've heard use the word and it rhymes with "what", just the way I say it. 
Quote by TobusRex
No shit. All the Brits I've heard use the word and it rhymes with "what", just the way I say it. 

No I mean I have never heard an American pronounce it like what.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
No I mean I have never heard an American pronounce it like what.

Ever actually been to America? Literally every time I've heard the word in my entire life it's rhymed with "what". First time I heard the word I was 12 in rural Oklahoma, btw. 
Quote by TobusRex
Ever actually been to America? Literally every time I've heard the word in my entire life it's rhymed with "what". First time I heard the word I was 12 in rural Oklahoma, btw. 

are u havin a giggle m8 
Is referring to something as being "shit" considered British slang? Cause I'm keeping that. Otherwise, without a proper accent I think it doesn't sound right. Twat, however, has clearly evolved two different ways, so I don't consider that stealing.

Oh, and its Aluminum. Stop adding all those extra letters. Fucking wankers.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
How much of a twat do you have to be to not even be able to pronounce twat?

I have nothing important to say
Quote by theogonia777
British slang is asinine and makes no sense. I don't know why I would want to use it.

I have never met anyone that pronounces it like that. Literally zero.
I have met americans in America who have.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by PSimonR
Don't tale Top Gear words as typical or even acurate use of British slang expressions. 

Tell me about it me ol' cobla. They tawk a loada ol' buckaroo on that radiogram station never heard nothin' like it!
Quote by dementiacaptain
Is referring to something as being "shit" considered British slang? Cause I'm keeping that. Otherwise, without a proper accent I think it doesn't sound right. Twat, however, has clearly evolved two different ways, so I don't consider that stealing.

Twat hasn't evolved. It's either pronounced correctly, or incorrectly.
Quote by dementiacaptain

Literally one letter difference.
Quote by OddOneOut

Probably New Englanders. They mispronounce many words and have weird regional inflections. 
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Twat hasn't evolved. It's either pronounced correctly, or incorrectly.

Yeah its like if you americans take the word table and start saying tahbel instead its not clever that u guys did that and its not evolution its a violation of the language you are hijacking
I think it's just us being cheeky and taking the piss, lads.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by zgr0826
I think it's just us being cheeky and taking the piss, lads.
Quote by laid-to-waste
Yeah its like if you americans take the word table and start saying tahbel instead its not clever that u guys did that and its not evolution its a violation of the language you are hijacking

Kind of a silly argument when English is a hodge podge of germanic and latin influences anyway
Quote by dementiacaptain

For the record, chronologically, alumium was first, aluminum was second and aluminium was third. For the record, the dude that first "discovered" and named the element originally called it alumium before settling on aluminum before aluminium was ever used. He "discovered" it so his name should be used. It's only fair.
Quote by OddOneOut

Everyone I have ever met has either pronounced it like cat or like lot but never like what. Unless you say what like lot instead of like but over there. TobusRex is from inbred country so anything they say there should be disregarded.
Last edited by theogonia777 at May 7, 2017,
theogonia777

So.... aluminum ftw?

Thanks for that though, was always curious but cba to research for five seconds.
Page 1 of 3