Pretty cool from a composition aspect, at least certainly better than what passes for 'prog post-hardcore' in the real world. I find the tempo to be unrealistic, however, if you were aiming to actually learn this cuz currently it's only a few synths away from a hyper-produced anime theme song.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Thanks, dude! i could see it being just a bit fast, I might dial it down a couple bpm.. not sure yet. i do like the energy, but maybe just a notch. appreciate you taking the time to crit!
BloodReverence hahah thank you so much for dropping in and taking the time to comment but i'm pretty set in stone with the BPM being 165+, at least from a solo standpoint. if i start working with a band on this and they feel as you do then i might have to reconsider but i think we like this to convey that intensity as a high point or opener of an album.
Last edited by ezekielhezekiah at Jul 18, 2017,
This is great. I think the speed is fine as long as it's do-able haha.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
I feel like I can't give too much of a critique here, I honestly really enjoy this as it is haha.
The speed I could go both ways about - if you do drop it down to like 150bpm-ish, yeah it's super groovy.
However if you keep it where it is, it heavily reminds me of some Dillinger Escape Plan-esque kinda writing (but happier sounding?)

The one thing I can definitely say is damn, this needs to be at least twice as long haha.
It's short and sweet, but it makes me immediately want to either re-start it or just want it to keep going a bit.

I really like the first two bars during the "thought" section - maybe you could bring that back and flesh that out as more of an epic chorus or ballad-y section.

Some absolutely solid writing on this one; super tasteful licks when you throw them in (like the "do thing" section).
Great drum writing too by the way - I know the majority of it isn't hella complicated, but you nailed the overall sound.
If you were to add more drums like in the section "start here" on Bar 9, with a lot of use of drop-stick and constant snare, it'll definitely add more of that aforementioned Dillinger Escape Plan feel.

Good use of transitions too when you use them, the song flows very well and doesn't feel super "copy + paste" and kind of block-y, even though the majority of it does have riffs that simply start and stop with nothing tying them together, it all flows very well.

I also love how if you mute the guitars/synth and just listen to the bass and drums, it almost feels like an entirely different song.

Personally I could do with the piano/synth being buried a little bit more, to add more texture but have less focus on them.

Overall though, again, all I can really say is just keep writing haha; this is too good of a piece to only be a little over a minute long.

If you can, mind giving my newest a bit of a listen?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1793202
LTD SC-608 Baritone
Schecter 007-Elite
Epi. Les Paul Standard
Jasmine SC312
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-3
Peavey 6505+

www.behaviourmusic.com
ezekielhezekiah  Like others said, 180+ is a bit spazzy.  I really think the synths could do well in a song like this so here's what I came up with after noodling around a bit.  Hopefully it doesn't deviate too far from what you were envisioning when you wrote it!
Attachments:
new new.gp5
Korg Krome 61
Roland KR-5