Im torn between the two. I play mostly metal as i lay dying kse etc. My understanding is the dimarzio evos are very unforgiving but nice for metal and invaders are good too. Can anyone comment on which they prefer. Also can i use an f spaced bucker on my NON floyd jackson dx6 dinky?
What amp are you using?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
What is the guitar in question? The Jackson? You can use an f-spaced pickup in a guitar that isn't f-spaced just fine. The pole pieces just won't quite line up under the strings.

It really depends on what exactly you're going for tonally. The Evo and the Invader are two totally different pickups and people refer to how they sound in totally different tonal contexts. So they're really not very comparable at all. The only thing I can tell you is that Invaders are very muddy sounding and really high output. So they're very limited in versatility. I personally think they're crap.

A good all-round pickup for lots of different styles is a JB/Jazz combo. They do metal great along with lots of other different styles of music. I would know. I have 2 guitars with Duncan JB's. One's an MIJ FGN Les Paul Custom and the other is an MIJ Jackson DK2M. They both sound kickass through my 5153 and V30 loaded Orange 212. They're a very popular combo for a reason. But the JB can be quite picky with what specific guitar it goes into. Sometimes they sound awesome, sometimes they sound muddy, other times they sound really bright.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Im using a jackson dinky dx6 from japan. Im going for a heavy metalcore sound. Ill looj into the jb. Thank you
Quote by lon6505
So will it sound okay if i put a f spaced dimarzio in a fixed tail jackson?

It'll sound fine, the pole pieces just won't line up with the strings.

But personally it would bug me that they won't and I'd rather just get a pickup the correct spacing.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
But the JB can be quite picky with what specific guitar it goes into. Sometimes they sound awesome, sometimes they sound muddy, other times they sound really bright.

Yeah- and just to clarify for lon6505 (I know you already know this), there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason as to when it sounds good and when it doesn't- I've tried it in (on paper) very similar guitars, and it's sounded great in one and crappy in another.

If you know you're going for metalcore, though, I'm not sure if I'd pick the JB- versatility is great, but that's assuming you want and need versatility. If you're very deliberately aiming at a certain type of tone, it's often a better idea to try to get something specifically aimed at that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
they're maybe a wee bit niche... they're more aimed at that instrumental shred thing, really. they wouldn't be a terrible choice- they would do it- but there might be better options.

I'm not that familiar with AILD, but for KSE the safe choice, if you can be bothered converting the guitar to active pickups, is probably EMGs.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok i have emg in a dean 450. Looks to complicated to put emg actives in the jackson. I have heard from a few that if i choose the evos they are f spaced. Problem is i dont have a floyd pr tremolo so i hope they still sound fine.
Yeah for metalcore these days the world is your oyster.

Right off the bat, the classic Dimarzio Dactivators are a decent grab. Passive but with some of the same charm as actives.

I use a Crunch Lab/Liquifire set, which aren't as full-on heavy as the Dactivators, but are great for all things modern metal.

As hinted at by Min, all the Periphery guitar players have their sig sets that'd do the deed. I can personally speak for the Duncan Alpha and Omega set, awesome sound, if a bit pricey.

The Tone Zone, while not "typical" for this type of sound, is put to good use by a few heavy bands and might work for you (The Black Dahlia Murder comes to mind).

There are also options for Seymour Duncan that have come out fairly recently like the Sentient, the Nazguls, etc. that might be a good option. I don't have experience with them so I can't comment on how they sound.

As mentioned, the Evos are nice but more for shred, I'd look eslewhere first. The Invaders are just way overkill. I don't think they sound very good.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
The Invaders have a lot of output and are very low/mid focused. Not sure how much clarity you want. There is no reason to have a Trembucker version of an Invader, though, as the poles are so big. 
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
I also recommend the DiMarzio D'activators I have a set that came factory on my Ibanez Xiphos they are very tight and punchy great for metal. I had an Invader years ago it was a tad on the muddy side I wouldn't hy another.

Tone Zone would work, IME they are great metal pups, I have had a few of them and was never disappointed.

Duncan JB is always a safe bet I currently have 3 of them.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Thank you. What do you think of the duncan full shred set? Alot like evos? Heard it lacks alot of bottom end for chugga a lugga mutes.
The Full Shred set has a lot of high end, and might be the brightest pickups we make. If you like the sound of chuggy mute stuff, look into more modern sounding pickups like the Pegasus/Sentient set. 
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
dimarzio CL/LF are a hell of a set IMO definitely from what I have used throughout the years they are pretty versatile AND don't compromise on heaviness. I keep one aet in an ibanez prestige, had a strat I threw in and liked that too.

I don't like invaders at all.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Kind of late to the party here but I'd strongly recommend the Seymour Duncan Black Winter set.  It is marketed as an extreme metal/black metal pickup but I've found it far more versatile than that.  Both the bridge and neck are amazing and can do pretty much any genre of music -- including nice cleans and jazzy/bluesy stuff.  But here's a track I did that's sort of metalcorish -- more like melodic death metal though.  But as you can hear, it does the chugga-chugga stuff quite nicely (this is sort of a medley track; the first minute is what I'm talking about -- then it degrades to black metal and death metal from there, haha):

https://soundcloud.com/kailm-1/6505a
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by AcousticMirror
Titans

There an echo in here....
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by dementiacaptain
There an echo in here....

Snatit
Prs se Holcomb is the answer