Hello guys, I have recently been interested in picking up the electric guitar with no prior experience with the guitar. What do you recommend for a starting guitar? I have relatively small hands at around 17.5cm and my budget is below (Singapore Dollars) SGD$300. I have been looking at the squier vintage modified 51($269), epiphone les paul special ii($207) and the yamaha pac012 ($275). I would probably be playing some hard and progressive rock. Any recommendations are welcome. https://www.sweelee.com.sg/guitars/electric-guitars.html (list and pricing of guitars available)
Thanks!!
Of the 3, Squier VM. The Yamaha might be the next best option. Not sure, since I haven't  had a whole lot of experience with Yamaha.
The Squier Affinity series is sold out, but if you wait for an HSS (Humbucker, Single Coil, Single Coil) option to come up, that might be a good consideration as well. 
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
The Yamaha. They are amazing guitars for the price, and the build quality seems to be really consistent. I have literally never played a bad Pacifica, while i heald a few shitty squiers in my hands. And stay away from the epiphone.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by D3Cept
What are the main differences between the VM51 and the yamaha in your opinions?

Well first of all the Yamahha has more tonal options, since it has 3 pickups, not just two, and it has a vibrato bridge that the squier doesnt. But the main difference is the build quality of the guitar, and thats not something you can quantify that easily. Im not saying that the squier is a bad guitar, or that all of them suck, but all the pacificas i have played up till now, were very well built guitars, with nice playability and feel, while squiers not so much. 
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Usually with affordable guitars, manufacturer skimp on the component parts like pots, pickups, electronics (5-way switch, output jack, pot zinc alloy tone block).

For me the newer Squier stratocaster that are made in China have improved in quality unlike earlier China made ones. Yamaha Pacifica are very good quality instruments too.. Ibanez Gio guitar are the beginner level that works well too.. but need upgrade parts like tuners.. all the guitars need a good setup to become playable.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Thank you for all your help. I will check out the yamaha pac112j since its $299 here. Also what amps for around SGD100 do u recommend? Is the yamaha ga15ii good ($99)?
How much a Roland Cube 15X sells for around there? Those have quite a lot of options, you might find one of those really fun for practicing. If you could afford a 20X, even better.
'07 Jackson Pro Dinky DK2M (MIJ)
Squier Strat SE
Marshall Valvestate VS15R practice amp
My first was a Jackson Dinky.  I distinctly remember having friends with epis and squiers and playing theirs thinking my Dinky was a finer guitar.  They were okay, but I just liked the way the Jackson felt and sounded.  I had that guitar for over a decade, and opted to play it frequently even after I'd gained other guitars.  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
The Pacifica is a good beginners guitar. They are normally well set up from the factory so do not need a pro set-up when bought. They are reliable and when you join a band and get another more expensive guitar to show off and gig with, the Yamaha, because it has a wide range of tones, will be a good back-up guitar.
Get an ibanez gio. If you like playing guitar then move up the ladder from there. don't drop a bunch of cash yet until you know you love to play. 
D3Cept I'm from Singapore too! Tk i can help u here haha.

My 1st guitar was a suzuki starter pack (it was rubbih) frim cristofori. For beginner in electric guitar, I reccomend check out the Ibanez Gio and squier in swee lee. There are some affordable one

Yamaha pacifica from sound alchemy (they sell stuff cheaper thn yamaha)

Or you can go to Davis guitar shop to check it out too! They got a shit ton of budget guitar and you may even work out a deal.

There's also sv guitar but you need to be weary of what you're getting... Based on personal experience here

If your budget is at $300, you can also try to find 2nd hand gear on carousell... It's the best place to save money imo.

Amp wise, you can try roland cube 15 if u have enough cash... They're great bang for your buck. Got many fx n stuffs

If you can afford, get the orange crush 20 from sound alchemy... They cost bout $125? But is by far one of the best amp for the price range for full analog amp. But they do not have any fx unless u get the reverb variant.

Skip the marshall MG series altogether because they are not worth the money you'll spend.
Fender Standard Stratocaster MIM 2011 with David Gilmour Neck Pickup Switch Mod

Epiphone Les Paul Standard PlusTop Pro 2015 with Peter Green Mod

1999 Japanese Epiphone Les Paul Standard LP-80 with Peter Green Mod
I have seen three separate youtube videos this past week that all recommended Epiphone G-400 Pro's (SG) as excellent beginner guitars for rock.I know they are quite inexpensive and they look great tome. My first guitar was an SG so I always like the looks of them. Lots lighter than this boat anchor of an LP I own now too.
All three look like good choices to me. The Yamaha and the Squier both have good reputations, and I recently did a set up on the Jr version of the Epi Sp ii. I was very impressed with the quality and workmanship, not so much the sound. I personally would go with the Yamaha for versatility for a beginner - the HSS pickup configuration is a good all-round choice. Don't forget to budget for a set up.
Quote by noobyXD
D3Cept I'm from Singapore too! Tk i can help u here haha.

My 1st guitar was a suzuki starter pack (it was rubbih) frim cristofori. For beginner in electric guitar, I reccomend check out the Ibanez Gio and squier in swee lee. There are some affordable one

Yamaha pacifica from sound alchemy (they sell stuff cheaper thn yamaha)

Or you can go to Davis guitar shop to check it out too! They got a shit ton of budget guitar and you may even work out a deal.

There's also sv guitar but you need to be weary of what you're getting... Based on personal experience here

If your budget is at $300, you can also try to find 2nd hand gear on carousell... It's the best place to save money imo.

Amp wise, you can try roland cube 15 if u have enough cash... They're great bang for your buck. Got many fx n stuffs

If you can afford, get the orange crush 20 from sound alchemy... They cost bout $125? But is by far one of the best amp for the price range for full analog amp. But they do not have any fx unless u get the reverb variant.

Skip the marshall MG series altogether because they are not worth the money you'll spend.

Haha, i checked out all the above shops. Tried out the guitars mentioned and decided to go ahead with the pacifica. Thanks for all the help yall have given and i hv gone ahead to get the yamaha pac112j along with a line 6 spider iv. Really appreciate it!
Cheers
Having a setup done is paramount. I've had a few under $75 guitars that were really not bad after setup and good strings. I bought a Peavey Raptor for $30 at a yard sale that my grand nephew still plays. Low price doesn't always equal bad.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
D3Cept Oh no.... Not the line 6 spider... That is a complete pile of rubbish

"Fried Asshole" - Glenn Fricker

I guess it'll suffice for now for you if you're just starting out but the 1st thing you should upgrade next time is the amp. Get an micro terror or one of the affordable Orange amps. Those are way better than the spider LOL
Fender Standard Stratocaster MIM 2011 with David Gilmour Neck Pickup Switch Mod

Epiphone Les Paul Standard PlusTop Pro 2015 with Peter Green Mod

1999 Japanese Epiphone Les Paul Standard LP-80 with Peter Green Mod