So a bit of context first:

We're not professionnals. Not in terms of musicianship or recording or filming/editing. I'd say we're serious amateurs. We kept doing "Live" videoclips but they always fell sortof flat. This is our first video that has a narrative and an actor (as opposed to boring shots of us playing our instruments)

It's a bit too late to change this specific video but we're starting another video project that will likely be similar to this one so any criticism about this one will likely be applicable to the future project as well.

Comments about the music, the recording, the acting or the film making are very welcome!

C4C, of course!

Last edited by flexiblemile at May 8, 2017,
Hey! The song sounds very good, I like that snare sound and the songwriting sounds well done too, good use of different guitar sounds, to me it sounds like this could go on the radio no problem!

About the videoclip, I'm really terrible at following narratives, but this looks very professional to me, the acting, camerawork, the narrative, it looks awesome honestly, I can't tell this apart from a "professional" videoclip, from 2:50 forward it was quite funny and made me smile, very awesome to see everyone having fun!

Congratulations on the music and the video, I hope things go well for your band
I agree with VStratto Music, really couldn't tell whether you guys were professional or not. Maybe at times the acting showed a little, but since the concept of the music video was jokey anyway it wasn't out of place.

The song itself is interesting. I don't really listen to rock music anymore, but there are a lot of little things about this song that made me like it, like the drumbeat in the beginning, the modulation in the first idea, those fade-in notes from the singer...the first minute of the song might have been my favorite, it really hooked me in. so even though the rest of the song is more standard rock, i didn't mind.

One thing that wasn't working for me was the "na na na" hook in the chorus - I think it was something about the harmonization. Which is unfortunate because it seems it was meant to be one of those earworm bits.

The mix was great. The drums felt nice and heavy, really suited the intro and that heavy transition out of the first chorus. Also appreciated the fuzzy guitar tone during the chorus.

Again, I wasn't expecting for this to be my cup of tea, but all the details really brought the song to life for me.

P.S. If you really wanted feedback about the video: something that sticks out to me (compared to other music videos) is the singular use of stationary shots in the museum - perhaps this was done intentionally?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Thanks for the good comments to the two of you!

Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
Maybe at times the acting showed a little,

Yeah we're all horrible actors, haha! For our next clips we're trying to enroll a theater group to help us because we obviously are not good enough. Your comment is 100% spot on!

Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
One thing that wasn't working for me was the "na na na" hook in the chorus - I think it was something about the harmonization. Which is unfortunate because it seems it was meant to be one of those earworm bits.

Do you mean only at the end with the gang vocals in the back? That's all of us singing sortof haphazardly. We wanted to give it a sort of... anthem feel but apart from Alice, none of us can sing so maybe that wasn't a good idea after all.

Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE

The mix was great. The drums felt nice and heavy, really suited the intro and that heavy transition out of the first chorus. Also appreciated the fuzzy guitar tone during the chorus.

That fuzzy tone is a happy accident, actually. The singer's guitar is a Godin A6 ultra which is a hollowbody guitar that combines a piezo acoustic system and a humbucker with two different outputs running simultaneously. Since it's just a neck humbucker however, it's difficult to get a tight distorted sound so we gave up trying a while ago. She does the fuzzy mash of noise and I do the tight distortion. Having her piezo adds some definition to her sound though, which is cool!

Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE

P.S. If you really wanted feedback about the video: something that sticks out to me (compared to other music videos) is the singular use of stationary shots in the museum - perhaps this was done intentionally?

Yeah I know what you mean and yeah it was done intentionally! We wanted to give the impression of a wax museum at night so we made sure to use a lot of stationnary shots to put this in the foreground. Those statues are pretty realistic so we felt that a lot of still shots would give it a creepy vibe.

Thanks again for the comments, both of you!
flexi,
The video looked pretty professional. The gal sings very well. Some of the background vocals reminded me of the Bangles (a compliment). BTW, I was in the Los Angeles area (where I live) long ago and walked into a Werehouse record store, and the Bangles were there promoting there first record. KROQ (the main alternative radio station in Los Angeles at that time) was there on the radio also. I had never heard of the Bangles until that day & later became a fan. Anyway your audio quality is very good. I think the chorus is more catchy than the verse. Everyone is playing well. Good job. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1741580
Hey man, this is really well done, for an amateur video you guys did a hell of job, the song itself is good too, it never lingers in one place too long and the drums and vocals are outstanding, the guitar serves the song very well too but I felt the guitar solo could have been a bit more chaotic but that's just personal taste. Overall great job man and thanks for the crit!

For my song I didn't use a 12 string just chords that have open B and E strings for the most part and for the vocals it was more I felt like it would be a disservice to spruce my voice up; it would be easier to work on it if I could hear it back more accurately