Lookinh to replace my strats bridge pup. Most likely going to get a jb junior but i was wondering if there is a difference between a mini HB and a fullsize? If so what are the differences?
Country music sucks
Youtube it, you'll get better answers there than here.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Thread was moved to forum: Guitar Gear & Accessories
My God, it's full of stars!
Yes, due to the physics of using 2 smaller coils vs 2 regular-size coils, the Jr version of the full-size humbuckers can never sound exactly the same. They are close, but if you love the sound of the full size version, get the full size version. You will need a new pickguard, though. 
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by Mincer
Yes, due to the physics of using 2 smaller coils vs 2 regular-size coils, the Jr version of the full-size humbuckers can never sound exactly the same. They are close, but if you love the sound of the full size version, get the full size version. You will need a new pickguard, though. 

Just to add, if you do choose to go for a full size humbucker, just double check that your strat's body is routed for it.  As far as I know, pretty much all modern production strats are routed in such a way that it shouldn't be a problem, but you never know.
Here's what Jason Lollar wrote about them in 2009:
https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Humbuckers_and_Mini_Humbuckers

And the key sentence:
...a smaller pickup sensing a more focused area of strings with a smaller amount of iron content in their core will result in a little less output and an overall slightly brighter, clearer sound.

IME*, the miniHBs sound kind of like noiseless P90s. Not exactly- P90s will have more punch, usually- but in the overall tone, especially on the high end, there is similarity.

* based mostly on my ownership of this guitar
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by CENSORED.
Lookinh to replace my strats bridge pup. Most likely going to get a jb junior but i was wondering if there is a difference between a mini HB and a fullsize? If so what are the differences?

You need to know the difference between a mini-hum, a full-size humbucker and a single-coil-size humbucker. IF the mini-hum is the P90-size version designed originally by Epiphone, you'll likely have a brighter and clearer sound compared to a full-size humbucker. But bear in mind that there actually four different kinds of mini-humbuckers offered by Gibson alone, and they're quite different. 

Single coil size humbuckers can vary widely, because there are a LOT of different designs out there, including stacked and side-by-side variants. I use a side-by-side variant that has an 18K output (and was originally designed for a strat bridge, called the Fast Track II by DiMarzio), but I use it in the neck position of a Les Paul. It offers a LOT more output than my 9.2kohm standard '57 humbucker, but it's also very clear (no muddiness) in that position due to the smaller size of the magnetic field. 
dspellman
Lollar's article mentioned the standard miniHB, the Firebird, and the Johnny Smith- a hybrid of those two. What's the fourth?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

The JB Junior, specifically, is really close to the full size JB in sound. 

I used to put full size JBs in all my strats, but a friend had a fat strat he wanted to convert to SSS for aesthetics. So I got to try both versions of the pickup in the same guitar, back-to-back, and with a tiny bit of tweaking there was effectively no difference in sound. I don't think I could have heard any difference at all if I hadn't played them right next to each other. Other miniaturized pickups are a different story, but with the JB and JB Junior I'd suggest using whichever one is cheapest and easiest to put in your guitar. I doubt you'll notice any difference besides the look and size. 
Quote by dspellman
IF the mini-hum is the P90-size version designed originally by Epiphone, you'll likely have a brighter and clearer sound compared to a full-size humbucker.

Just to avoid confusion, the P90 is a lot bigger (3.4*1.4"approx) than the mini-humbucker (2.6*1.1"approx), and likely wouldn't fit in a mini-humbucker cavity. A mini should fit comfortably in a P90 cavity, including its height adjustment tabs.
Quote by Tony Done
Just to avoid confusion, the P90 is a lot bigger (3.4*1.4"approx) than the mini-humbucker (2.6*1.1"approx), and likely wouldn't fit in a mini-humbucker cavity. A mini should fit comfortably in a P90 cavity, including its height adjustment tabs.

Good point. When Gibson wanted to use mini humbuckers in its P90 Les Pauls reintroduced in the late '60's, they had to manufacture an adapter to fit the smaller minis in the P90 routs. It was the cheapest way for them to put *some* kind of humbucker on guitars they'd already built to answer the demand for the return of a humbucker-based Standard. It wasn't for a couple of years that they finally gave in and built non-Custom guitars with full size humbuckers. 
Tony Done

Thanks for stating that! I looked in vain at several makers' websites for comparative dimensions on miniHBs and P90s a while back, and never did get an answer.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
dspellman
Lollar's article mentioned the standard miniHB, the Firebird, and the Johnny Smith- a hybrid of those two.  What's the fourth?

There's a hack job that was produced for, I believe, the cheap "J" series guitars (SGJ, LPJ). I don't recall what the construction method was. 
Tony Done

But thanks to you...

Quote by dspellman
You need to know the difference between a mini-hum, a full-size humbucker and a single-coil-size humbucker. IF the mini-hum is the P90-size version designed originally by Epiphone, you'll likely have a brighter and clearer sound compared to a full-size humbucker. But bear in mind that there actually four different kinds of mini-humbuckers offered by Gibson alone, and they're quite different. 

So what technically would the jb jr be?
Country music sucks
It's a single-coil sized humbucker. 

Single-coil sized humbuckers are specifically designed to fit in strat/tele sized routes. Mini-humbuckers are a different product entirely and none of them will drop into a standard Fender pickguard. Put next to each other, you'd never mistake one for the other, which is why dspellman was cautioning you against saying one when you meant the other. 
Roc8995
Gotcha thanks

To clarify, im asking the dofference between a single coil size humbucker and a regular humbucker
Country music sucks
Yup!
It varies by model. The Little 59 for instance I don't think sounds as close to the 59 as the JB Jr does to the regular JB. Of course all of it goes out the window when there's no full-sized pickup with a direct comparison; there's no Big Hot Rails for instance.

The only reliable difference is "one is smaller." Beyond that there's no real generalization to be made, so you've got to have a specific pickup in mind. 
Quote by Roc8995
Yup!
It varies by model. The Little 59 for instance I don't think sounds as close to the 59 as the JB Jr does to the regular JB. Of course all of it goes out the window when there's no full-sized pickup with a direct comparison; there's no Big Hot Rails for instance.

I don't think that's a coincidence
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CENSORED.

To clarify, im asking the dofference between a single coil size humbucker and a regular humbucker

The dofference, obviously, is in the form factor. But that determines a lot of things. The number of winds and the size of wire and distance between bobbins, magnets and the distance between poles can all be affected. And this can determine the width of the magnetic flux and phasing differences between the coils and more. I think that a single coil size humbucker has more clarity when used as a neck-position pickup, for example. But Roc8995 has already made the point that there aren't any generalities that can be applied to every case. 
Quote by CENSORED.
Roc8995
Gotcha thanks

The size of the coils. A single coil-sized humbucker is 2 coils, when paired together, equal the size of a single coil pickup. Ideal for Strats and Teles and the like. Both types of pickups cancel hum, and both can be made to sound great. It really is what you prefer. 
Dave @ Seymour Duncan