Hi there,
a friend of mine is a very good jazz/blues player but he doesn't know anything about gear. So I ask the advice of you wise people. He needs a small valve amp (as small and inexpensive as possible) to play in very small clubs and reharsal spaces, 95% of the time he plays clean and fingerstyle. I'm not a big expert but I guess he needs at least a 15w to have enough headroom for the cleans...

Any advice? Thanks a lot
Ekam Sat
2012 Danelectro '56 Pro | 2014 Fender Stratocaster FSR American Standard Channel Bound Sonic Blue | 2015 Breedlove Discovery Concert CE Sunburst | 2016 PRS SE Custom 24 | 2017 Squier Jaguar Vintage Modified Bass | Blackstar HT-5R
i have several good amps in mind- including solid options- but we need to know:

1) What kind of budget?
2) New or used?
3) combo or head & cab?
4) location (because that can affect price & availability)
5) in person purchase only, or is online shopping possible?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
1) under 400$/€ is preferred
2) used is OK
3) combo is better
4) Italy
5) mmh in person is better

I eyed a Bugera Infinium V22 but I never tried one (and neither did my friend)...
Ekam Sat
2012 Danelectro '56 Pro | 2014 Fender Stratocaster FSR American Standard Channel Bound Sonic Blue | 2015 Breedlove Discovery Concert CE Sunburst | 2016 PRS SE Custom 24 | 2017 Squier Jaguar Vintage Modified Bass | Blackstar HT-5R
Last edited by davidrf at May 9, 2017,
I have the Laney Cub10, this is a link to the bigger brother:- https://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_cub12r.htm
That is on Thomann's website. They are German, but ship europe wide for freewith orders over €199. These are pretty good, in my opinion, other people will give you another view which may help.
Or there is this, also from Thomann, just over €400 :- https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_super_champ_x2.htm
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
Last edited by anguskilminster at May 9, 2017,
I would honestly be on the lookout for something like a Lab L5, or saving extra for something from the Roland JC line. When i hear clean Jazz/Blues and finger-style, I don't think valve amps straight away. Especially what would be in this price range.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Why choose a valve amp for clean headroom if small and inexpensive are leading factors? Most of the reason for choosing a valve amp is that it distorts differently, and if that's not likely, then why bother? 

Here in LA, an obvious choice would be a used modeler through a decent solid-state powered speaker. This would allow him to duplicate distorted sounds if he wanted to (digging in, for example) at ANY volume. 

One seriously powerful speaker that can be easily one-handed into a venue here in LA is a Carvin PM 12A. At under 30 lbs, it can be one-handed into any venue, offers up to 400W and an extremely wide range of clean, fairly directional output. and the ability to be used on the floor as a wedge, on an amp stand, or on a speaker stand above the audience.  

A less powerful (and lighter) powered speaker would be a good studio monitor with, perhaps, an 8" LF driver and a 1" HF driver, sharing 100W between them. This describes the KRK Rokit 8 and a whole host of others. It offers an extremely wide range of very clean reproduction (beyond any 12" speaker-in-a-cabinet both for bottom *and* top end)  at up to and beyond 100 dB, and it's even lighter weight than the PM12A. Both can be had for under $270. 

A used Pod XT Live can be had for under $150, and the Pod XT "bean" is usually under $100 (used) and an FBV Express pedal controller for $50 (again, used). The XT offers a wide range of amps/cabs, and an extremely wide range of FX as well. Guitar -> Pod -> powered speaker. 
Hmmm....

Most of my options got tossed because of the combination of price & location. But one of these small Quilter solid state heads could still work, but a cab would have to be purchased.

http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/productpage/microblock-45
http://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/productpage/101-series

Here's how they sound:

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Peavey Classic 30 should fit your budget, especially used if they are available in Italy.