I'm a long time (almost 18 years) acoustic player who's branched out into electric over the past year. I'm ready to start gigging with the electric, and I need a gigging amp.

I'm looking for something light, portable, and low maintenance, and I don't have a ton of money, so I'm thinking a solid state combo. It needs enough power for gigs, but the group I play with is a small, rootsy thing so I don't necessarily need the power to compete with rock drums.

I'll mostly be running a Strat with Texas Specials, and I'm looking for a fat, classic rhythm guitar sound with just a hint of dirt--think Jerry Garcia or some of the mellower Hendrix tunes.

I'm still, first and foremost, an acoustic guy, so I'd like something simple and I'd like, if at all possible, to avoid pedals. I do want some built in reverb, though.

I'd like to stay under $400 US. I'm totally open to used gear, and in fact I live within shoppable distance of two used instrument stores.

Thoughts, electric board?
Death to Ovation haters!
Last edited by PatchworkMan at May 9, 2017,
Quilter has really good head options, but I'm not convinced their combos are priced right for what you get. They come as 1x8", 1x10", 1x12, 2x10", depending on model, starting @$700.

The heads, though, are a better buy. Their line starts with a 45w pedalboard amp for $145. The 101 series delivers 50-100w depending on channel, starting at $300. So one of those plus a cab would deliver everything you need.

On the combo front, look for a used Carvin SX (?) series amp. That was their solid state line, and, by all accounts- pretty good. But they're discontinued. Still:
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by monwobobbo
Fender mustang series seems like a good bet
I know almost nothing about the old Mustangs, but the new GTs look super complicated.
Death to Ovation haters!
PatchworkMan 

not that complex. they are modeling amps which at this point are your best bet for your money. the Quilter mentioned would also be good but may be out of your price range. 
Peavey Vyper
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Mustang.
Quilter.
Vyper.
For extremely simple amps, Orange Crush pro if you can stretch your budget. The cr60 would keep up. Maybe even micro terror and a 1x12 cabinet.
Orange CR60C.  two channel. gritty and clean. SS, built in reverb.   Everything you're looking for. 

the CR120 is also an option.
BOSS Katana 50 (or 100). Not heavy, 12" speaker, lots of clean power, excellent overdrive sound, a setting for acoustic guitars (not a simulation) with additional access to 55 effects pedal that you can download for free on BOSS Tone Central site.

Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Quote by rukuus
Orange CR60C.  two channel. gritty and clean. SS, built in reverb.   Everything you're looking for. 

the CR120 is also an option.

Saw one of these on YouTube. Looks cool, but probably a little more pricey than I'm looking for.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by PatchworkMan
Saw one of these on YouTube. Looks cool, but probably a little more pricey than I'm looking for.
it's always good to keep in mind though. Should be able to find one used in budget. I have the 120 watt had, and I find it was well worth it. Nice, simple, great reverb.

Guitar center has them used starting at 350. If you have one near by, you can always try it. Free shipping to store. Easy returns and all that jazz. Same with any other suggestion. It is best to try before you buy.
Last edited by Liaztraht at May 10, 2017,
Quote by Liaztraht
it's always good to keep in mind though. Should be able to find one used in budget. I have the 120 watt had, and I find it was well worth it. Nice, simple, great reverb.

Guitar center has them used starting at 350. If you have one near by, you can always try it. Free shipping to store. Easy returns and all that jazz. Same with any other suggestion. It is best to try before you buy.

Aren't these pretty new? I didn't expect to find any used. Yeah, if there are already used ones, I'll definitely look into that. Thanks.
Death to Ovation haters!
PatchworkMan They have been out a few years. At least 2 years. I eyeballed one for a year in store and bought it last year after playing it several times over a couple months. Been seeing the head and 60 watt combo going under 400 used. Its my favorite solid state.
I like my vox ac30vr. It's got the sound of a tube amp but it is a solid state hybrid. However I find it is usually too loud...So the ac15 VR might be good. It's a 12 inch speaker. Very simple basic amp...3 channels, reverb, no effects loop sadly but in my opinion it doesn't hurt it too much
I'd say either an Orange CR60C or Marshall Valvestate 8080....

The Orange is a true SS amp, as where the Marshall is a Valvestate...so you get a 12AX7 tube in the preamp, but everything after that is SS.

You can get a Marshall Valvestate off eBay or Reverb. The first series ones...like the 8080 (I have one), which is an 80W 1x12. They also have the 8280, which is the same amp with 2x12. These amps are mainly SS, but have a single tube in the preamp. These can be had on eBay for around $150-300 depending on condition and if you can catch a deal. DO NOT get the later valvestate models (VS or Valvestate 2000)- they're not as good as the first series (V). A lot of people hate them and will give you shit about it not being as good as a Tube Marshall, but they sound good, they're very giggagble and hey, it's a Marshall. 

As for the Orange CR series..I've only played them at the local Guitar Center, but damn they're good. The CR60C is on my wish list. That's probably the best series of true SS amps you can buy, no joke.

DO NOT get a Marshall MG series...I've owned several in various wattages and they're shite.
Last edited by zat48 at Jun 2, 2017,
If your not even interested in pedals its the complicated part that may be a problem. Even the Mustang or Super Champ is going to take some dialing in. quilter may be a good option. With a $400 used option though I'd try a lot more then SS.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
For $400 I'd buy a 112 tube combo. Peavey Classic 30 112 can be had under budget.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .