Hello, I'm 17 years old and I would like some advice on my singing. I began learning to sing a few months ago, and I'm not sure about how much progress I'm making. I really dislike the tone of my voice. I don't really know what I should do with my voice, whether I should sing in a higher, head voice or lower in my mixed or chest voice, as I really don't like the way I sound either way. I would like to know if it really is bad or if I might just be being hard on myself. Any feedback on what I could do to improve would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
https://soundcloud.com/user-448659378/an-evening-i-will-not-forget-bad-cover
Joekage Hey Joe, first of all let me say that just because you don't like your voice now it doesn't mean that you can't be a good singer. Don't get discouraged by these things as even the best of singers have gone through times where their voices didn't perform quite how they wanted them to. Working on your voice is like going to the gym, would you expect 16 inch biceps and 6 pack abs from a few months of going to the gym (specially without a trainer)?? the answer is probably no. You WOULD expect noticable improvement if you're working out correctly, However, because you're not happy with how your voice is developing I'm inclined to think you're not practicing quite right.

But I digress, you're voice is not bad for the type of music you're trying to sing. It does sound like you haven't quite found your own voice though, and that comes across to my ears as a "fake-ish" deeper tone. Based on the recording, I would suggest some exploration of your upper range and some type of guidance to do that safely. A great training program that could help you with that is called The Four Pillars of Singing. You're young still and have time to develop your voice a great deal if you decide to do so. Since you're interested in singing in head voice and mixed voice though, I think it'd definitely be worth your time to check this program out.

Best of luck on your singing journey and let me know how it goes! 

Link to the training program: The Four Pillars of Singing https://thevocaliststudio.com/the-four-pillars-of-singing/?ref=9 
singeek Thank you very much for the detailed reply and I agree with everything you said. I'll definitely try to explore my upper range. I went back and listened to a recording I made a few months ago and it was a lot worse than what I'm able to do now, so I guess I am improving, I just haven't really been noticing the gradual improvements. Thank you very much!
I'm not a singer and know nothing about it, but my sense of what I heard is that you are "talk singing", meaning that it sounds like you are talking the lyric and adding just a little singing into your voice... as if you are trying to limit the amount of breath to the bare minimum.

What happens when you use more breath, so that you are more singing the lyrics and not talking them?

If this is confusing, what I mean by "talk singing" is like Bob Dylan and Dire Straights  - the vocals are fluctuating pitch as if singing but not quite letting go into full free breath singing, still just taking with singing pitch variation. Do you know what I mean?

Maybe some of those with vocal training that know the mechanics and lingo of singing can clarify what I'm trying to point out (or tell me I'm wrong).
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
PlusPaul Hey thanks for the feedback, I can definitely see where you're coming from and I'm trying to improve my breath control at the moment so thank you!