{skip to the next indent if you don't care about the backstory}
So I recently joined this forum to get some advice. But first here's a bit of background info so you can understand why I need help lol. I started playing guitar last June sometime. I started on a crappy $100 acoustic in my parents closet and I was clunky at first but I learned very very quickly. I was always mesmerised by shred guitar type music. On my birthday in September I begged and begged for an electric guitar. My dad agreed (reluctantly) and we searched online. I found an old guitar center company off brand called laguna guitars specifically the Laguna Le200. It's a beginner priced "shred" hard rock and metal guitar. He bought it for me as well as a fender mustang v2 amp. I love it so much but I want to do more. I don't mean that I am "better than my guitar" I just mean I want something better than a cheap used 125 dollar guitar (I know, it was SUCH a big upgrade haha). I have always been curious about electronics and wires and hands on projects so I figure, hey, why not make a (insert title here) Frankenstein guitar. I have some money saved up but I don't want to buy an expensive ibanez or a Jackson. I want something I can say that I built. Not by hand just put together and wired. I looked on Amazon for cheap bodies but there was nothing I liked because it's all cheap strat style bodies.

I would like to buy everything for an electric guitar online.
I would like an Ibanez style body, or preferably a flying v, or something of that sort.
I would also like it to have a Floyd rose cutout. This is a must I don't want to continue using a non locking nut and non locking bridge.
I would also need a compatible neck with a locking nut.
Locking tuners would be nice.
I don't care if it only has the cutouts for 2 tone knobs, or 2 volumes. I would like to have just a volume and tone but it doesn't matter honestly.
The body also would need at least one humbucker slot. I don't care if it's a HSH HHH HH HS SHS HHS or anything of the sort.
Again I know all of the parts I need like bolts and tuners and everything I'm not a complete beginner. Like I said I'm fairly intermediate actually. I can buy pickups cheap online or my friend has some duncans laying around so that's not a huge issue as well as a wiring harness. Everything should be online and location doesn't really matter. I do live in the US just FYI. I would appreciate an answer and I will answer all questions or edit to rephrase something or clear a question up. Links as always haha

EDIT: I forgot about the budget haha. 200 bucks is really my limit for everything in all. I can raise it soon but I an trying to shoot for two hundo
Last edited by 360instaswapnoscope at May 9, 2017,
Budget?

If you don't have a budget, Look at what Warmoth sell.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I think you're being unrealistic with the specs if you only have $200 to spend. A good quality Floyd Rose bridge costs $150 by itself. You can get cheap Floyds copies for a lot less than that on ebay, but they're made from vastly inferior materials that sap sustain and critical areas such as the knife edges (the section of the baseplate that the bridge pivots against on the posts) quickly wear out because they're made from cheap pot metal. The saddle blocks that clamp the strings at the bridge strip very easily for the same reason. As do the locking nuts. They're a total nightmare. You get what you pay for.

Locking tuners are totally redundant on a guitar with a Floyd. And while they make restringing faster, they don't make your guitar stay in tune any better.

You say that you can only find cheap strat bodies online for your budget. In that case, I suggest expanding your budget until you can afford something decent.

I would also steer away from building your guitar altogether. Building guitars is not very cost-effective at all. Do it when shooting for the absolute best value for money is not the no.1 concern, and you can to afford to buy quality materials. But with a budget so heavily constrained, such an avenue is just not realistic. Getting a complete guitar is necessary if you want to have any hope of anything decent.

By far the cheapest place you can get halfway decent guitars from in the US is Rondo Music. They're totally unrivalled in bang for the buck. And likely far nicer than any guitar you can build. Especially given your budget.

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

Bear in mind that the cheaper guitars with Floyds still do come with cheap, shitty Floyds that require upgrading to be worth having though.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE the reason I specified a Floyd rose in the body was because my cousin has a Randy rhoads guitar or something around that and he doesn't want it so he's selling it but I'm giving him something (personal I suppose. Nothing wierd but it's sentimental) in exchange for the bridge and the nut so it isn't an issue. I do agree it is very greedy for what I would like but this is why I join the forums. Experience​ makes a wise man
agre that you don't have realistic expectations for your money. the neck and body alone will likely cost you well over $200. just slapping a floyd from one body to another isn't as easy as it might seem. you have to make sure that the route is correct for that particular unit and if you screw it up even a little it will make the trem useless. if this is your first electric guitar then trying to build one is way offf the mark. no practical skill in doing so will most likely result in disaster. 

by the way $125 for a used guitar doesn't mean it's crap at all. i paid $150 for my Vintage VS6 (SG copy) and it's a really nice guitar that i got for a good deal. 
monwobobbo I'm not saying it's a bad guitar. In fact it's better than a lot of teles I've played but that just my opinion. I don't have to have the stuff new I was in fact looking for used stuff first in fact haha. My budget it flexible don't get me wrong I have 200 right now and later on in a few weeks I will have more but I'm in highschool I don't have a real stable source of income except flipping knives and parts basically so that is why it's so low right now
Your best bet will be to a couple of eBay searches:

1. Project guitars

2. Electric guitar parts

And maybe more specific searches for particular components such as locking tremolos or pickups but it will still be a near impossible task to build a Frankenstein guitar from used stuff you find on eBay for $200
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by 360instaswapnoscope
T00DEEPBLUE the reason I specified a Floyd rose in the body was because my cousin has a Randy rhoads guitar or something around that and he doesn't want it so he's selling it but I'm giving him something (personal I suppose. Nothing wierd but it's sentimental) in exchange for the bridge and the nut so it isn't an issue. I do agree it is very greedy for what I would like but this is why I join the forums. Experience​ makes a wise man

Seems a bit odd that your cousin is willing to give you the bridge and the locking nut to you and not the whole guitar. Very few people want to buy a guitar that isn't functional because it's missing fundamental pieces of hardware.

Also if it's some cheap, generic guitar brand then it's pretty safe to assume that the bridge he's giving you is going to be junk anyway.

Unfortunately, it seems that Rondo isn't selling any 6 string superstrat guitars with decent Floyd bridges for under $400 like it used to. They sell 7 strings for $360 with decent bridges, but not 6 strings. Hmmm.

http://www.rondomusic.com/product8695.html

The cheapest 6 string superstrat they have with the same decent bridge is $450.

http://www.rondomusic.com/hawkereltnat.html

Honestly, this is going to be your best option if you want a decently constructed instrument with a bridge that'll last.

I can't honestly recommend one of those super cheap $200 guitar kits you find on ebay because they're pretty much all junk and not economical. They never get the appropriate fretwork required to get them to play correctly, and the tools you'll require to fix that can cost as much as the guitar itself. It also isn't the kind of work someone who is totally inexperienced with metalworking is going to be able to pull off.

There's also absolutely zero guarantee that this bridge you're getting from your cousin is in any way going to retrofit the guitar kit you're purchasing. The routes in the body to accept the Floyd Rose bridge are not standardised whatsoever. Thus some additional routing to the guitar may be required to get the bridge to fit correctly. And the refinishing work required to correct all the damage to the surface finish by chiselling the guitar out to get the bridge to fit is cost prohibitive and very difficult work.

Seriously, you can get yourself into all kinds of a messes unless you're absolutely sure you know what you're buying. And you fully understand the work you'll need to perform on (and the expertise and skills required to do the work) the guitar to get it playing to an acceptable standard. It's nowhere near as simple to build a guitar from a kit as it may seem.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Meh just find s used MIJ Jackson DKMG or DK2M for $$300-$350ish and you'll be fine.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Quote by Evilnine
Meh just find s used MIJ Jackson DKMG or DK2M for $$300-$350ish and you'll be fine.

Yeah.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE lol we always agree on that!
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Would any of y'all reccomend a IBANEZ RG570?

If you can get one for $200, absolutely.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
T00DEEPBLUE I found a used body and a used neck for around 250 I don't know if it's worth it though because I would like to find some very nice pickups. Like maybe custom pickups if I get enough money but I'm not too good at price comparison because of my ADHD and add lol
T00DEEPBLUE I found a used body and a used neck for around 250 I don't know if it's worth it though because I would like to find some very nice pickups. Like maybe custom pickups if I get enough money but I'm not too good at price comparison because of my ADHD and add lol

dude you are putting the cart before the horse big time with this. you have no idea what you actually like in terms of necks or pickups. i will stress this as hard as i can, what you want to do is a HUGE WASTE OF YOUR MONEY. until you get some experience playing electric guitars (and i mean trying out more than a couple) trying to piece together a guitar just isn't in your best interest.  you want "custom" pickups well what exactly do you want spec wise? 

savve your money and buy another guitar if you feel you must but wait until you have a firm grasp on what you are doing before worrying about putting together a guitar. 
Quote by 33db
Try cruising pawn shops.

^This

I also agree with monwobobbo you really should have more experience before delving into making a parts guitar, also you are sriously going to have a hard time making anything worth playing for your budget.
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge

Last edited by Evilnine at May 10, 2017,
You might want to search DIY guitar kits on e bay. There are some in your budget that have all the parts needed. I'm sure  you will get what you pay for, but it will be fun to do. 
This is where something cheap like a Squier Bullet would be an excellent platform. $60-ish used for something to mess with before doing an actual build. A kit, as mentioned is dicey. If the parts are ready to be painted/finished and screwed together...maybe. And that's assuming you know how to do a proper set up---it's not hard, but you are dealing with miniscule adjustments. Also, a Floyd without experience using one...regardless of the quality, doesn't seem like a good choice for round 1.
Guitar/Bass:
Schecter: Damien 6/Stilletto Extreme 5, Squier: Bullet HSS*, Washburn RX10*/WG-587, Agile Septor 727
*mods

Amps/FX
Peavey: Vypyr 30/Max 112 (200W), ISP: Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.

justinguitar.com is the answer
Well, if this is going to be your first electric, and you have not built one before, I suggest this, buy one quality instrument, and then start learning guitar assembly/modification on a cheap beater from a pawn shop.  

You'll probably want to play a lot more of what's out there, there's more than STrats, Telecasters, Les Pauls, and Ibanez, and you might find something you like even more that might motivate you more if you want to pursue building.

Building guitars, even if just assembling from parts, is NOT easy, and this is coming from a guy who can put a decent sounding Strat together with one arm tied behind his back, one eye closed, and no templates or jigs.

I've fucked up more guitars learning how to do this stuff than I care to mention - some are even in my profile...ONE is getting a rebuild!

Here's just a rundown, for perspective, on what it takes to assemble a guitar, in shorthand.....

- you have to pick a neck that fits, your hands, the body it's being attached to, the tuners you prefer, and the kind of nut and possibly tremolo system you want.  Different brands can differ their neck pockets a little bit, so while one strat neck might fit brand X's guitar body, it might not fit brand Y because Y is too skinny or too thick.  Then that enters a realm of woodworking if you WANT that neck to work on X or Y body - shimming or sanding out the neck pocket so it fits snug and won't shift, making sure that when you drill your holes they are straight and not pushing the neck heel up anywhere creating action/twist problems.

Then there's the body, same deal with the neck pocket, the neck pocket is probably one of the most important parts.  Then there's the issue of getting all the components straight - the bridge, the pickups, the tailpiece (if separate from the bridge).  There's making sure you carefully drill those holes straight or it can throw the whole piece off.

Let's talk finishing for a moment.  Most home-done paintjobs look like shit - many of my own older ones included.  People either layer on so much paint at first they get drips and runs that are hard to sand out, or they get so little paint on there and stop too early and then you can see the primer or even the wood peeking from behind.  I've seen uneven stains, clearcoats designed for other purposes that chip like potato chips.......probably the best looking and easiest finish I've ever used were the Minwax wipes (they come like baby wipes), and evne then they are quite a mess and you have to wear gloves and give em' a day or two to cure before you're ready to go.  Then there's all the sanding - sanding is key - and then polishing.

Wood is a funny mistress..........sometimes she wants to go together just fine without putting up much of a fight, other times I've seen it take down power tools or their bits without much effort at all.  Without knowing what wood you're dealing with and what tools you need to handle said wood to make such small tweaks can be the difference between a Shitcaster and a quality instrument.

Then there's electronics.  Sure you can grab any old humbucker, slap it in the bridge and wire it up to a lone 500K pot and output jack, but with crap soldering technique you run the risk of dry solder joints, connections coming loose, dirty connection, improperly tinning the iron or components......and it's so easy to screw it up with micro shorts if you are not meticulous.  Also, soldering properly and being meticulous (or not) can affect the tone of the guitar quite a bit too.  

Then there's the bridge itself.  If you are using a regular hardtail, you still have to set the action, which involves possibly also shimming the neck and adjusting the nut slots if using a mixed grab bag of parts.  Then Vibratos add a whole new level of challenge, now you're talking friction, downward forces over the bridge and nut, how clean are the saddles, how clean is the nut, how smooth to the strings glide down their path from the bridge to the tuners, or how well does your locking system work and how well do the knife edges work.  There's adjusting spring tension, bar tension, action, saddle height, and all that that goes into dealing with a vibrato.  If floating and a Floyd you have the option of some kind of stabilizer which will drive cost up more.

And that's just a quick and dirty rundown, not at all detailed like I Could probably make a book on.  I started building guitars at 14 years old, I fucked up so much stuff over the years learning and trying I can't even begin to count.  Then there's learning to reverse your mistakes, oy vey.  It takes a special kind of person to do a serious job of building a guitar.  Even as causal as I am about it these days - it's still not really THAT casual when it gets down to it.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Last edited by Mad-Mike_J83 at May 10, 2017,
200 bucks?! To buy all that parts to build a guitar? You can have a better one shipped from korea for 150. Your best bet is to collect broken guitars and combine them.
Last edited by geo-rage at May 11, 2017,
Quote by geo-rage
200 bucks?! To buy all that parts to build a guitar? You can have a better one shipped from korea for 150. Your best bet is to collect broken guitars and combine them.

Exactly what geo-rage said.  You can surf pawn shops and local used ads, and get yourself most of the way there, and just order whatever you're missing.
At one point, I was GAS-ing hard for a strat with a maple neck, and found a solid partscaster loaded with awesome pickups and upgraded tuners and bridge for $300 cdn (or like $20usd) on my local used site.
Warmoth has some good stuff, but every time I've priced out something custom I want, it ends up being the same sticker price as what I can buy in a guitar store, if not more.
Every time ive priced out guitar parts it ends up being around 400usd. Not to discourage making one though. In the long term spending 400 on a guitar that you can say you made is more valuable than just buying a 400 dollar guitar which is really just like the 150 dollar guitar with some better parts and maybe someone that cares puting it together.