So im currently using a 6505+ with a valveking 4x12 with the stock speakers. I cant decide if it would be better to order a new speaker set, or a new cab. The speakers ive decided to go with, if i go that route is two swamp thangs and two texas heat speakers from eminence. The cab i want is the mesa 4x12 rectifier cab, though i havent decided on the traditional or standard size on the mesa, ill likely go to guitar center one day to try them both. I know there's a good 600-700 dollar difference with buying the mesa cab, but i was hoping you guys had some input on this. I mostly play metalcore type...parkway drive, as i lay dying etc..and im using a schecter damien 6 elite with emg 81/85
Last edited by Pre3ston at May 9, 2017,
Either one will be a large improvement on the tone. How is the build quality on your current cab?

Could also look at Avatar cabs for much less than the boogie cabs.
Last edited by Liaztraht at May 9, 2017,
The cab is definitely not excessively damaged..its worn along the front wooden sides and a nice chunk of wood is gone from the front bottom...probably from a drop or something but the "speaker area" is nice and undamaged
No issue with swapping speakers then. Though typically for those styles, vintage 30s would be a good fit.

Build quality wise, I was mostly wondering if the cab was plywood, mdf, or particle board.

As for the Avatar suggestion, their 412 cabs can be had with v30 speakers at 689.

Unless you can find the recto cab used, best bet would be either a swap or Avatar. Unless your don't care about the price. I haven't tried your speaker selection, but it seems a popular combo either stacked or x pattern.
I heavily considered vintage 30's...though i dont really want to sound like EVERYONE ELSE that plays metal lol.

As far as the type of wood goes, I have no idea how to tell what it's made of...whatever they make valveking cabs with.

Ive looked into the Avatar cabs, though im not sure what type of "cab body" would best suit my playing genre, because they have a bunch of names that i know nothing about.

Just so ya know...the 6505+ is my first tube amp and my VK cab is my first 4x12 so im still a newbie to all this but ive been doing as mush research as i could and finally decided to post my own thread
True. I feel you there. If you don't want v30, then the recto cabs are out of the question. Great cabs though.

Looks like your current cab is plywood, so swapping speakers would be fine. If it was particle board then I would suggest a new cab due to PB being fragile.
The speaker swap is definitely the cheapest route...can get the "eminence monster metal 4x12 speaker kit" for $310 which includes 2 swamp thangs and 2 texas heats...though it doesnt let you adjust the resistance of the speakers, it only lets you get 16 ohm speakers. In actuality does this really matter? I mainly only ask cause ive read that 8 ohms is the standard ohmage for guitar speakers
Quote by Pre3ston
The speaker swap is definitely the cheapest route...can get the "eminence monster metal 4x12 speaker kit" for $310 which includes 2 swamp thangs and 2 texas heats...though it doesnt let you adjust the resistance of the speakers, it only lets you get 16 ohm speakers. In actuality does this really matter? I mainly only ask cause ive read that 8 ohms is the standard ohmage for guitar speakers
According to what I found, your current cab is already 16 ohm. So it should be a direct swap. Just wire it up the same.
I know it's already 16 ohm lol though i cant say i dont appreciate your effort in looking this stuff up on my behalf.

What i was referring to though, is basically I've read somewhere that 8 ohm speakers is kind of a norm that is put into cabs from the factory (apparently not the case with my VK but w/e lol) and if that is the case i would pay the extra to get the set in 8 ohm for cab/speaker testing in the future.
The 412 I just got rid of was loaded with 16s. I don't think its an uncommon thing.
A cab is nothing more than a wooden box. You could build one for 50 bucks. Speakers and micing have more to do with tone than the wood box.
You have four 16 ohm speakers to get a 16 ohm cabinet because they get wired in both serial and parallel. If you get 8 ohm speakers, you'll end up with an 8 ohm cabinet assuming they're wired the same. 

As pressureproject notes, the brand on the outside of the cabinet doesn't mean much. Most 4x12s are essentially the same size and shape, covered in tolex, because that's what manufacturers think you want. There isn't really a tone change between them. Here in LA, used 4x12s are often available for around $200 (just saw one go by in Craigs for that amount, filled with V30's). A lot of folks are dumping them; they're not particularly relevant, except occasionally as stage decor, thanks to the way that people play live and record these days. I have five in storage that I haven't used in several years. 
Most cabs I've seen are 16 ohm, but it doesn't really matter. You can wire up your cabinet with those speakers  to 4 ohm or 16 ohm just by wiring it differently. Just remember that if you ever decide to run two speaker cabinets, it needs to be the same ohm rating and then you need to cut the amp setting in half. i.e. (2) 16 ohm cabinets- set the amp at 8 ohms. (2) 4 ohm cabinets- well there is no 2 ohm setting so if you make a 4 ohm cabinet, that is all your amp can handle...
Last edited by Jeffh40 at May 10, 2017,
Quote by pressureproject
A cab is nothing more than a wooden box. You could build one for 50 bucks. Speakers and micing have more to do with tone than the wood box.
true. The only concern I had with the cab quality is if it rattles or is falling apart. If not, there is no justification to buy a new cab unless it's pure desire. As long as the box is good, then the only thing needed is speakers.
Peavey cabs are built just as well as a Marshall 1960 in general.  There are some exceptions with some models where mdf was used in place of plywood.  But, my Peavey XXX cab is just as well built if not better than my Marshall 1960.  Both cabs got their speakers replaced as the G12T-75 weren't doing it for me in the marshall.  And the stock XXX speakers, while very nice, weren't my taste.  

Your VK cab is probably the same construction as a 6505 and XXX cab, just different badges on it, and different sheffield speakers in it.  

I'd suggest mixing some WGS Veteran 30 and Celestion G12K100 speakers.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by ThunderPunk
Peavey cabs are built just as well as a Marshall 1960 in general.  And the stock XXX speakers, while very nice, weren't my taste.  

The stock Shetfield XXX speakers do work nice with the 6505+ though. 

XXX cabinets can be had for cheap if you look around. 
 If I had an amp that nice I'd want to set it on top of a nice cab. You should be able to get something custom made for not a huge cash outlay, maybe an Avatar. Might be able to score a used Mesa Recto 2xTone-wise, I'd venture a guess that it's the speakers that make most of the difference in tone in a guitar cab, but that doesn't mean that 2 cabs with the same speakers will sound the same since surely construction has to count for SOMETHING, also the cab might be open back, closed back, ported, have beam blockers, not to mention the speakers could be fresh vs broken in, or whatever.I think really cheap cabs might actually use particle board in their construction. I'd figure the advantage of a well-built cab is just that - it's well built and won't fall apart on you after a few years. You'll pay for better construction and heavy-duty wood. Pretty sure Orange use dovetail joints with marine-grade plywood so their cabs are pretty much indestructible.
You said it yourself, your cab now gets you by. Just mess with your amp to get better tones and save for a decent cab. Probably cheaper in the long run since a total speaker upgrade is at least $500. Might as well get a whole new cab. 

Ethan Stark
System Admin & Music lover
     http://cloudappsportal.com/         C=��<�atG� �P�g�2H��
I have a 6505+ 120w head I purchased a used Crate cab with Celestian 70/80 speakers for $99 the 70/80 set was crap IMO.

I bought the same Eminence set your looking at Swamp Thang/ Texas Heat I mounted them in an X pattern and it is definately a fire breather. I have had 4x12 with V30s before and currently have a Mesa Roadster combo with 2 V 30s they are great but against them the Eminence set holds its own.

I have played both the Mesa and the Peavey through the Eminence loaded cab for just over $300 the Swamp Thang and Texas Heat set is steal you won't regret buying them made in Eminence Kentucky USA!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at May 11, 2017,
Cabs don't make as big a difference as speakers.  If your old cab is particle board or mdf then it might be worth replacing but if it ply or pine then there isn't much point buying a new one.
Not taking any online orders.
I would suggest speaker upgrade as well, its not that MESA cabs are bad but you pay a premium for that label on the cab. Where are you getting the speaker package from?
I went with ordering the eminence speaker set and they're coming in this thursday. Im so excited lol ill be sure to let yall know how it sounds.