I have ordered my first tube amp head it's 100w and it has a switch to play it at 30w I don't have a 4x12 cab yet(I plan on getting one soon) but I do have 2 1x10 Marshall MG cabs from my marshal mg15ms2 micro full stack. I just wondered if I could use at least on of those cabs to hear the tube head thru until I can get my 4x12 cab the tube head has a line out and a 4,8,and 16 ohm speaker outputs in the back.
problem is the wattage rating of the speakers... what are they rated at? also the impedance has to match.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc
I see what you are saying there so if my speakers were rated at say 8 ohms I could plug a speaker cable thru the 8 ohm jack in the back of the head to the back of the cab and everything will work fine?
I'm away from my speakers cabs for another 2 days so I can't tell you what they are rated at but as long as the output ohms match the cabs. Ohms I should be okay?
Even at 30 watts that's likely to much for those cabs. You'd have to keep the volume really low which isn't the best way to check out your head
monwobobbo okay well i have a 100w marshall combo 2x12 amp that has a send and return fx loop on it and the head has a line out on the back can i run a speaker cab from the line out of the head to the return jack of the 100w combo ad do it that way?
Quote by MarshallTone
monwobobbo okay well i have a 100w marshall combo 2x12 amp that has a send and return fx loop on it and the head has a line out on the back can i run a speaker cab from the line out of the head to the return jack of the 100w combo ad do it that way?

no.  i gotta ask why you got a head without something proper to run it thru. 
MarshallTone  well ruining the amp would be a bad plan. you likely would ruin those 1x10 cabs as well. i guess you could use them long enough to make sure the head works but that's about it. 
Quote by MarshallTone
Dave_Mc
I see what you are saying there so if my speakers were rated at say 8 ohms I could plug a speaker cable thru the 8 ohm jack in the back of the head to the back of the cab and everything will work fine?
I'm away from my speakers cabs for another 2 days so I can't tell you what they are rated at but as long as the output ohms match the cabs. Ohms I should be okay?

no you need the wattage of the speakers to be high enough to handle the head as well- so at least 100 watts, ideally a bit more to give you some margin for error.

that being said, if you're playing at really low volumes, you're probably fine even if the wattage isn't technically high enough (bedroom volume is likely a fraction of a watt)- but it's a "do at your own risk" type of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?