I'm going on tour in November and also have shows before it so I am looking to buy something reliable. I play metalcore and power to punch through is a must. I know a lot more about guitar equipment even though I play bass in bands, I am somewhat lost on bass gear. I will be going to Guitar Center today to try amps but I want some ideas of what to look for, they're kind of limited on brands at mine.

Budget is about $1,500-2000. I do not use any pedals or anything else with bass, just plug it straight in.
Solid state is pretty much all I want to look at, I don't believe tubes are the best way to go for bass. Plus a small band like mine can't afford to have a tube shit out before a show etc. etc. I want a head that's powerful enough to run a 410 cab but also an 810 later. The sound I need is scooped mids, little bit of treble pushed, and lots of low end.
Baby Joel's rabbit profile picture is kinda cute. #TeamJOEL
GALLIEN KRUEGER 

Good tone (overall and controll), reliable workhorse, cab top or rackmountable, low wattage or high wattage.  Artist roster can attest that they are good enough for anyone and any style of playing.  I've owned a combo and a rack head, and the rack head was louder than my ampeg rack head of equal wattage.  Also, I've observed over the years a fondness for GK by touring musicians for your motive - they are generally regarded as the 80's toyota of bass amps (IE: can't kill them)  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Guitar Center may be the very last place I'd go to look for bass gear. 

I've been using a Carvin BX1500, which has been replaced by the Carvin BX1600. It's essentially a pair of solid state amps putting out 800W each. I use mine bridged, mono, and into a 8 ohm cabinet it puts out about 900W. Into 4 ohms worth of cabinets (in my case, a pair of  8 ohm cabinets), it'll put out 1500 (again, this is my older BX1500). At the moment, the BX1600 is on sale for $519. 

Where I think you really want to reconsider your choices, however, is in the cabinet department. Manufacturers make 4x10 and 8x10 cabinets only because they're more or less traditional, cheap and easy to build, not because they're really the best choice. I don't know where you're located, but there are far more modern (and lighter weight) cabinets on the market. Check barefacedbass.com if you're in the UK. Otherwise, check greenboy.us enclosures. I'm using *either* a pair of fEARful 15/6/1's or a pair of fEARless F115s, each pair with mirrored baffles. For most things, a single cabinet is more than enough, but sometimes a pair is warranted. The cabinets are lighter, stronger, louder, handle more power, go lower and higher and are smaller in size than the usual 410 and 810 stuff. You can actually DIY the 156/1's yourself, and speakerhardware.com will help you with everything from a full kit with all the drivers, crossovers, cut sheets of wood, etc.and covering to bits and pieces. The fEARful choices (there are lots) were originally meant to be DIY and the plans are available for free. Or you can have an "authorized builder" do the cabs to your custom specifications. The fEARless cabinets are only available through authorized builders. Most are covered with a rubberized textured paint used by a lot of Professional Audio products called Acrytech Duratex, though a number have been covered with LineX for an even tougher cabinet. 
Wasn't Darkglass supposed to have come out with an amplifier head of their own? That would probably work very well for your type of band.

Here it is: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Micro900

Another option to look at is an Aguilar Tone Hammer. 
Strandberg Boden 8-String Ibanez RG2228
Fender HM Strat ESP Horizon-II Five-String Bass
Roland TD-30K Mesa Boogie Mark V:25
EVH5150III 50-Watt Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Access Virus TI Snow Polyend Perc Pro
Going on tour doesn't tell us enough really. Are you taking your own PA? How big is it? Do you have sound engineers on tour with you? How bit are the venues you are playing?

Essentially it makes no sense for you to be louder than the drummer. If the drummer needs miking up then you need to go through the PA too so you don't need a huge rig. However if you are relying on the venue's PA it will pay you to have something which will fill the room if the PA turns out to be inadequate when you arrive. Essentially that means more/bigger speakers. A couple of 4x10's or an Ampeg fridge will cover more or less anything but if you are touring in a small van and humping everything yourself is way over the top. You need to find out about these things before you spend that much.

Personally I'd choose something based upon the sound first of all. It's a bass amp and the bass has to sound how you want. Then the practicalities of transport etc.

Apart from that think about what happens when things go wrong, on tour you are away from the sort of support you have in your home town. Taking two identical speakers means one will continue even if the other fails, so two 2x10's are bettter than a 4x10 etc. You also need to have a spare amp with you. One way to achieve this without the cost of a second amp is to have a pre amp, like a Sansamp or V-amp with you that will feed direct into the PA or will allow you to drive your bass speaker off any spare amp.
Quote by dspellman
Guitar Center may be the very last place I'd go to look for bass gear. 

I've been using a Carvin BX1500, which has been replaced by the Carvin BX1600. It's essentially a pair of solid state amps putting out 800W each. I use mine bridged, mono, and into a 8 ohm cabinet it puts out about 900W. Into 4 ohms worth of cabinets (in my case, a pair of  8 ohm cabinets), it'll put out 1500 (again, this is my older BX1500). At the moment, the BX1600 is on sale for $519. 

iirc, the BX1500 (and i imagine the 1600) has a tube as well, but it can be bypassed. it also has an on-board compressor

for a cabinet, i've been a fan of phil jones for a while, and something like this might interest you. instead of using a bunch of 10" speakers, they double up 5"ers. maybe it's just pseudo-science, but in my mind it allows for more mids and a clearer tone (which is important for breaking through the mix). plus, you're probably gonna be DIing anyway in most venues, so it's mostly for monitoring/backup purposes
modes are a social construct
Quote by Hail
iirc, the BX1500 (and i imagine the 1600) has a tube as well, but it can be bypassed. it also has an on-board compressor

for a cabinet, i've been a fan of phil jones for a while, and something like this might interest you. instead of using a bunch of 10" speakers, they double up 5"ers. maybe it's just pseudo-science, but in my mind it allows for more mids and a clearer tone (which is important for breaking through the mix). plus, you're probably gonna be DIing anyway in most venues, so it's mostly for monitoring/backup purposes

I've only actually heard a couple of Phil Jones cabinets, and that was in a relatively noisy hall. I usually caution that you don't want to let your eyes do your listening; smaller speakers don't necessarily give you "more mids" or "clearer tone," just as larger speaker cones don't necessarily give you "more lows."  Still, certainly worth a look. 

Both the BX1500 and the 1600 have a single 12AX7 tube and yes, it can be bypassed and I really don't understand why it's in there, but it is. 
Last edited by dspellman at May 22, 2017,
Quote by PiercedBand
The sound I need is scooped mids, little bit of treble pushed, and lots of low end.

Gallien-Krueger. 1001RB-II if you prefer a cleaner tone. 700RB-II if you like some grit.
I have the 1001 and it's a freaking BEAST.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
If you're touring one would assume that you also take a road PA system, if that is the case then I would be more than happy to take my 1x15 Markbass combo.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by dspellman
Both the BX1500 and the 1600 have a single 12AX7 tube and yes, it can be bypassed and I really don't understand why it's in there, but it is. 

I think that having a single 12AX7 or ECC83 valve in the preamp it is more of a gimmick than use. I've never used them in any of the solid state amps that I've owned.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
I think that having a single 12AX7 or ECC83 valve in the preamp it is more of a gimmick than use. I've never used them in any of the solid state amps that I've owned.

Yup, pretty much. The good news is that those amps are excellent for a whole lot of reasons unrelated to the "light bulb."