What kind of high gain are we talking? Old school death metal, modern stuff, Van Halen...
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
As well as the above...
Why solid state?
Budget?
Location?
Other kit?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Kemper going into front of house.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
bass combo with a big muff and pro co rat  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Short of something like a Kemper, its really just about wattage, speakers and effect peddles,  Meaning more and bigger the better,  Take my word for it kid there's nothing Best about a little 20w 8 inch speaker having SS amp,  I don't care how many fancy built in effects and gismos they throw into it,  It still sucks,  100w with a pair of decent 12 inch speakers is your best option, better yet is if it has a good clean channel and takes to effects peddles well,  If a little too rich for your wallet then at least 50w and a single 12 inch,  Just remember that its only half as good,  As to best, there is none, Its all a matter of preference, 
Orange cr120c
Peavey transtube bandit (an older version of it)
Randall rg like dime used or their newer combo.
An old Fender ss with a good distortion pedal.
As long as its 50+ watts with one or two 12s.
Then there isn't really a "solid state" that will work too well. There are some modelling amps with solid state power sections that would work, there are some modelling units that you could use with external power amps or powered speakers, but we would need some more info before we could tell you amything more.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by nastytroll
Short of something like a Kemper, its really just about wattage, speakers and effect peddles,  Meaning more and bigger the better,  Take my word for it kid there's nothing Best about a little 20w 8 inch speaker having SS amp,  I don't care how many fancy built in effects and gismos they throw into it,  It still sucks,  100w with a pair of decent 12 inch speakers is your best option, better yet is if it has a good clean channel and takes to effects peddles well,  If a little too rich for your wallet then at least 50w and a single 12 inch,  Just remember that its only half as good,  As to best, there is none, Its all a matter of preference, 

Could you explain to me how the a 50 watt amp with 1x12 speaker is half as good as the same amp but 100 watts with 2x12 speakers?
Quote by Jeffh40
Whatever DimeBag used sounds pretty damn good. 

Some sort of Randall. I would recommend looking into Randall. Or find an old line 6 vetta head. I hear those were pretty good and can be found for like $500 now.

And you don't want an ss amp to clip, which is why ss amp heads have crazy high wattage while tube clipping sounds good.
Last edited by risingforce1 at May 12, 2017,
Quote by Jeffh40
Whatever DimeBag used sounds pretty damn awful. 

Fixed.

sean.orpwood90 Why does it have to be a solid state modelling amp? Why not get a tube amp like a 6505?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by diabolical
Fender MH500 wasn't too bad, but the 6505 was and still is the best extreme metal amp.
In most people's opinions. I can't stand them in person, but would use one in a studio where I could multi track, its the only way I like them

I still recommend them to people I know or meet at shows, because it is "that tone" they're after.

TS, the 6505 is the amp you need to hit the sounds you want. It'll do just about any metal, as long as you need a boatload of gain and a tight low end. Which modern metal is mostly that.
 by flexiblemile
Could you explain to me how the a 50 watt amp with 1x12 speaker is half as good as the same amp but 100 watts with 2x12 speakers?

Perhaps half as good was not the best analogy, My bad,   Off the top of my head the only one I can think of that liked the sound of a clipping SS amp was Dimebag Darrell, Most others think they sound like crap,  In this case a 100w can be pushed harder before clipping than a 50w,  Thus allowing you to put to good use those fancy distortion peddles you bought to end up with something that sounds halfway decent,  Or at least at ear bleed volume levels,   As to what part of 1 speaker is half as good as 2 speakers you don't understand is beyond me,   I have a  2x12 tube combo but more often than not I use a 4x12 extension cabinet with it,  My head,  that's tube also is generally used as a half stack but have the full stack,  Actually neither need any help in the distortion department,  its just the head really doesn't have a spectacular clean channel and the combo can go from Fender sparkling clean to Marshall dirty,  The heads actually just a 5150 on serious steroids and a Kustom badge,   Who of which do or at least use to make some spectacular SS amps,  All made in China these days unfortunately , Kind of Like Peavey and many others these days 
Last edited by nastytroll at May 12, 2017,
Tubes usually last years, and even when you change them out, you rarely have to do a full retube. Just keep a few spare 12ax7 tubes at hand for the preamp section, those are cheap. The power tubes are the more expensive ones, but unless you are gonna play it at ridicolusly high volumes, they should last you quite a while. I've never heard of tubes lasting less than at least a year, and i know people who have the same tubes in their amps for over 5 years. So by the time you need to replace them, you should have set enough money aside for a decent retube job. 
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
sean.orpwood90 About as often as any aother amp. Plus a set can be had around 100 bucks. Just stow change away until the time comes to change them.
Peavey Bandit red stripe made in USA or the silver stripe made in USA... I believe the teal stripe is the oldest version.. the current Bandit are made in China.. not saying their bad.. but best sound so far is the red stripe version..

Video demo comparison between silver stripe and red stripe (Peavey Transtube has tube emulation)
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.