Hey,

So I've thought of buying a new electric guitar and been exploring quite a bit.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_js2410_mco_joe_satriani.htm

I came across this Joe Satriani's signature guitar and as I noticed the price I started wondering if it's really worth that much.

How much does the fact that it's a signature guitar affect the price? Do you have any similar guitars in mind that might be a bit cheaper, perhaps? I'd rather not spend 2500€ on a guitar. 1500€ is the total max for me. Any recommendations?
The price depends on whatever the artist agreed to with the company. I don't think there is some sort of standard. I find signature guitars are usually a waste of money and I'm always amazed by how many people fall for that stuff. I'm not into Ibanez but there must be several similar Japanese models that don't cost that much.
That particular signature guitar is pretty unique and I don't think there is a cheaper alternative to the same guitar besides the JS24P version like some other signature models (e.g. signature Les Pauls or Strats).  I personally like some signature guitars because they come with unique body shapes, finishes, and features.  Some signatures can cost way more than a regular model and offer nothing much special/different over a standard model and others can cost only tiny bit more than a standard model.  Some scream "hey I'm a signature guitar" and others are very subtle. 

If you want a HS 24 fret guitar I don't think there's many out there to chose from nowadays.   There are some 22 fret HS guitars still in production but they are also signature guitars (ESP/LTD George Lynch, Charvel Warren DeMartini) and are not as subtle as the Satriani.  You can find some old Super Strat shaped Kramer's BC Rich's and Charvel's that are 22 HS config or get a Strat and change out the pick guard.   
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at May 11, 2017,
Billie_J

What features do you consider key on that guitar that you'd want in something less pricey?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I think the story that goes around about the Ibanez signature guitars like Jems and the JSes is that sometimes the artist who is touring will just get one available in a local store and play the show with that. Not that they need to, but I'm pretty sure that they don't break out the prototype stuff for the regular bread and butter shows. 

Those JSes are wonderful instruments and that is a pretty high end model. They also have lower end "signature" guitars, so do keep that in mind. 

I'm not too worried about having an artist's signature on a guitar as long as it suits me. I have one low end signature model, an ESP Ltd JH-600EC which is a great guitar. The specs are really way up there: ebony fretboard, 24-fret through neck on a Les Paul shaped guitar, Kahler hybrid bridge, EMG 81-85 combo. And I got it for a pretty crazy price that didn't make me feel like I was being ripped off because of a name on the guitar. 

Here's the guitar: 

It's made in Korea, whereas that JS is made in Japan. Workmanship, fretwork, etc, is likely to be top notch. 

Before you buy online though, I'd suggest you see if you can locate one locally and try it out. That is a lot of money for a guitar that you've never tried before and I would never recommend anyone buy something they haven't tried before. 
Strandberg Boden 8-String Ibanez RG2228
Fender HM Strat ESP Horizon-II Five-String Bass
Roland TD-30K Mesa Boogie Mark V:25
EVH5150III 50-Watt Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Access Virus TI Snow Polyend Perc Pro
Quote by dthmtl3
The price depends on whatever the artist agreed to with the company. I don't think there is some sort of standard. I find signature guitars are usually a waste of money and I'm always amazed by how many people fall for that stuff. I'm not into Ibanez but there must be several similar Japanese models that don't cost that much.

Not necessarily, really depends on what it is and if you are buying for the artist connection or the sound/playability/comfort - I did for ALL of those reasons because I was lucky enough to be a fan of two guys who share tastes similar to mine in some ways. 

I play two guitars that could be considered "Signature Models" as a couple of my main guitars - a 1983 Hondo Paul Dean II designed by Loverboy's guitarist, and a 1995 Fender Jag-Stang (Kurt Cobain) with considerable mods to the electronics.  I liked and bought both guitars because, as a kid and a fan of both bands, I read interviews and reviews on both instruments and took note of how much the specs match what I wanted in a guitar.

The common thread between the two that I liked was this......

- Skinny Necks, both have em', just read the reviews

- The Under-dog reputation of both

- I could get them cheap because of the above Under-dog reputation, plus the Jag-Stang was helped by having "Butt Rock Pickups" (EMGs).  

- Both don't look funny on a 6'4" tall guy who is around 200 LBS on stage

I paid a stupid cheap sum for my Jag-Stang, I paid $200 for the Hondo, both are well built Japanese guitars with skinny necks that serve particular purposes in my sound.  Plus, in a way, I kind of love the idea that when I step on stage with one of these two, people make these funky assumptions and then I get to turn those asumptions on their heads - you're expecting Smells Like Teen Spirit - you get Offset Baritone Chorus Metal!  You're expecting Working For The Weekend and you get Master of Puppets instead XD

Granted, I am a fan of both of those guys, but the "waste of money" is when you have these "I gotta have this to play this kind of music" types that buy them and then only bring em' out to play whoever's name is on the headstock's music.  Yes I do play Nirvana on the Jag-STang, and yes I have covered Loverboy tunes on the Paul Dean, but that's not their primary purpose in my collection - just like all the others without celebrity ties, they are colors on a palette of tones called my guitar rack.

That said, I like how John Sykes sounds, but I can't get along with Les Pauls that well.  I love Edward Van-Halen's tone, but there's a name that costs a metric ton.  I tried Deans because of Dimebag - unimpressed all the way, plus the necks are too wide. I think I could agree on the George Lynch models but my own ego gets in the way of me wanting to play superstrats, it just does not feel like "me" to don one all the time.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
dannyalcatraz

Pretty much everything that the particular guitar has but I was just wondering if its being a signature guitar gets the price soaring up like there's no end
Satch's name on it will pump the price, no doubt. The one other thing I noticed that could boost the price is the push/pull high-pass filter. I could probably find a similar guitar for much less, but I've never seen that function built in anywhere else.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by Billie_J
dannyalcatraz

Pretty much everything that the particular guitar has but I was just wondering if its being a signature guitar gets the price soaring up like there's no end

Depends on the company. I generally steer clear of sig guitars unless the combination of bits and pieces just make so much sense that it's hard to ignore. Even then, it's sometimes easier to duplicate that combination of goodies on another guitar and save money over the sig guitar. 
Quote by mechanevil
I think the story that goes around about the Ibanez signature guitars like Jems and the JSes is that sometimes the artist who is touring will just get one available in a local store and play the show with that. Not that they need to, but I'm pretty sure that they don't break out the prototype stuff for the regular bread and butter shows. 

For years, Ibanez has maintained local "artist" builders. They provide the templates, official decals, specific hardware, etc., and the local builder will construct guitars for endorsement artists. The guitar that your favorite artist is playing might be completely stock, or it could be completely customized (neck-through construction, different woods, different neck profile, slightly smaller body, different electronics, etc.) while looking fundamentally the same to an audience.  I have no idea what other manufacturers are doing for their artists. Some artists (I can think of one in particular) have controls moved, electronics added/changed, etc., by their own techs for personal preference, while their "signature" guitars remain bone stock. 

It just depends on the artist/manufacturer relationship. 
Price is always more on a Sig model because of the deal the artist made and because people are willing to pay more for it.  Most Sig models are no better in quality than the makers top production model.  My Peavey Destiny is just as good quality as any Vandenberg I've owned.  My late 80's Ibanez RG760 USA is just as good as any JEM I've picked up. Just two examples. Sure they're minor differences - this is what makes them Signature guitars. But they're usually superficial.
dspellman

I know a lot of small builders are ghosting for the big names because I run into them from time to time. And I know one luthier who makes (or made) parts for other, higher profile luthiers. I just never keep track of who is building for whom. If I want the stuff from the little guy, I'll buy something that is more about their personal take on the guitar, so who they ghost for is not important to me.

Quote by dspellman
For years, Ibanez has maintained local "artist" builders. They provide the templates, official decals, specific hardware, etc., and the local builder will construct guitars for endorsement artists. The guitar that your favorite artist is playing might be completely stock, or it could be completely customized (neck-through construction, different woods, different neck profile, slightly smaller body, different electronics, etc.) while looking fundamentally the same to an audience.  I have no idea what other manufacturers are doing for their artists. Some artists (I can think of one in particular) have controls moved, electronics added/changed, etc., by their own techs for personal preference, while their "signature" guitars remain bone stock. 

It just depends on the artist/manufacturer relationship. 

Oh, that's definitely true. It's kind of like Jeff Waterson of Annihilator rocking an Epiphone. It's an Epiphone, but probably something crafted with a lot more attention to detail, better woods, finishing, etc. 

But on the flip side, look at some of the custom runs Ibanez have done. For example, the Vai DNA guitars. Those were made available to the public and they are the same guitar that Vai owns. 

At the same time, he also has a piezo-equipped Jem that I don't think was ever released commercially. 

Look at some of the Ltd artists that ESP has. Those guys pretty much rock out on production line guitars. Some aren't even signature guitars, so I think it's a good endorsement if you like the band. Even better if it doesn't have a signature, because they don't add on to the price. 
Quote by Xander_X
Price is always more on a Sig model because of the deal the artist made and because people are willing to pay more for it.  Most Sig models are no better in quality than the makers top production model.  My Peavey Destiny is just as good quality as any Vandenberg I've owned.  My late 80's Ibanez RG760 USA is just as good as any JEM I've picked up. Just two examples. Sure they're minor differences - this is what makes them Signature guitars. But they're usually superficial.

I agree completely. I have an RG1820X Prestige which is a really great guitar. Took it for a plek service and the guy who was operating the machine told me it was one of the best guitars he had seen in terms of finish and playability. 

But if a signature has the specs you like, why fret over the price? I usually buy guitars used to save money, so if you're worried about the cost of the signature, shop used or when there's a huge discount, and it will all balance out. 

EDIT: Billie_J , take a look at the Ibanez S6570SK prestige model. Body shape is like the JS, but is made of mahagony, and it has some nice pickups, a good trem, etc. It's about 300 euros cheaper than the JS. 
Last edited by mechanevil at May 12, 2017,
ahhh..marketing..gotta love it..few would find that the overpriced sig guitar is afar miss from what the artist actually plays..I looked at/played a "jeff Beck" model strat..if it was "special" it must have been well hid..

the thing I cringe at is the implied quality of the guitar will somehow make you a better musician just by playing it..

lets extend that logic a bit...a kobe Bryant sig basketball..a Robert di Nero sig acting course..a Dale Earnhardt jr sig race car..(actually just a ford mustang with a V6..but it goes 0-60 in 7.2 !!)
play well

wolf
wolflen

Well, you got the gist of it, but...

The BB crowd buy shoes, not balls. There ARE celebrity run/affiliated acts classes. And every few years, some car maker does release a special edition linked to racing, like the IROC Camaros, the Indy pacecar Corvettes, etc.

(Masters degree in Sports & Entertainment Marketing)

I think the main reason people go for signature guitars is because they want to look/sound like their favorite guitarists. You could guitar a similar guitar (or get a custom built one) for less (maybe?) with similar specs/woods, the only thing you might not get the same may be the pickups..
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
as far as fender goes, they are interesting regard sig models. the Eric Clapton strat for instance has the mid boost and tbx tacked onto it. those parts can be found for $50 via fender. I did that to my main strat and I love it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
mechanevil How is the Kahler? I've always wanted one but I don't want to route any of my guitars for it.
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.
DissonantTimbre The good thing about the Kahlers is that they don't require routing to be done. They are pretty much surface mount. Any good luthier should be able to do it for you.

Mine stays in tune despite heavy abuse, but keep in mind, it's not like a Floyd. For Vai or Dimebag style whammy, you want a Floyd Rose. For Slayer style whammy, Kahler is the way to go.
Last edited by mechanevil at May 25, 2017,
It depends WHICH Kahler we're talking about.  The Killer and Spyder are very much like an FR, but more stable and take more tension to push/pull.  I have Spyder's on 3 of my guitars, and one Killer, and one original.  All my other guitars have either FR, Schaller (basically same thing as FR) or original Edge (Gotoh FR).  They're all quality, but the Kahler stay in tune longer and with more use than the others.  
Quote by Xander_X
It depends WHICH Kahler we're talking about.  The Killer and Spyder are very much like an FR, but more stable and take more tension to push/pull.  I have Spyder's on 3 of my guitars, and one Killer, and one original.  All my other guitars have either FR, Schaller (basically same thing as FR) or original Edge (Gotoh FR).  They're all quality, but the Kahler stay in tune longer and with more use than the others.  

The Spydyr on my HM strat would respectfully disagree. The metal they used was very soft, worked great for about 8-10 years and is now no longer usable. Nut lock screws & string locks bolt heads stripped not to mention one of the mounting posts is now bent. Had contacted Kahler back in the late 90s about the issue, they blamed me. So they redesigned the string lock bolt just for the fun of it?? (old one was hex, newer ones are all flathead) Funny how the lo pro edge from my '93 Ibanez S540 hasn't run into any of those sorts of issues.

mechanevil

Pretty sure both the stud & flat mounted Kahlers both need the top of your guitar routed.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
the prestige mij ibanezes are probably going to be similar quality at a much lower price, but I don't think there are any with the same pickup layout or neck profile. it depends on how close you want it to be- if you just want a good superstrat guitar, then an rg655 or something like that will (probably) be similar in quality for far less. but if you want that look and those pickups and that neck...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What disappoints me about the signature models is no matter how much I pay for them I still can't play like the guitarist that endorses it. That's a rip off, if I am willing to pay top dollar for a signature guitar, the least they can do is make sure I can play just like they do.
Quote by DarthV
The Spydyr on my HM strat would respectfully disagree. The metal they used was very soft, worked great for about 8-10 years and is now no longer usable. Nut lock screws & string locks bolt heads stripped not to mention one of the mounting posts is now bent. Had contacted Kahler back in the late 90s about the issue, they blamed me. So they redesigned the string lock bolt just for the fun of it?? (old one was hex, newer ones are all flathead) Funny how the lo pro edge from my '93 Ibanez S540 hasn't run into any of those sorts of issues.

Huh, while I haven't had any issues with my original Edge, I've never had a single issue with one of my Spyders or Killers; and they're 30+ years old.  I'm really tight with a lot of late 80's/Early 90's Peavey USA guitar collectors and this isn't an issue that's come up at all.  We all use them extensively.  Sure once in a while something weird happens.  Had a buddy break a string lock screw off in the saddle the other day and had to send him a new one.  But nothing common.
Quote by Xander_X
Huh, while I haven't had any issues with my original Edge, I've never had a single issue with one of my Spyders or Killers; and they're 30+ years old.  I'm really tight with a lot of late 80's/Early 90's Peavey USA guitar collectors and this isn't an issue that's come up at all.  We all use them extensively.  Sure once in a while something weird happens.  Had a buddy break a string lock screw off in the saddle the other day and had to send him a new one.  But nothing common.

Maybe it was the early ones that were used on the HM Strats in '88 that had issues. They changed from hex to flathead for the string lock bolts for a reason, companies don't do that on a whim. Wish they had of used the same stud width/size as an OFR, that way I could do a drop in replacement with a Gotoh or Schaller.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by Arrawin
What disappoints me about the signature models is no matter how much I pay for them I still can't play like the guitarist that endorses it. That's a rip off, if I am willing to pay top dollar for a signature guitar, the least they can do is make sure I can play just like they do.

Quote by DarthV

mechanevil

Pretty sure both the stud & flat mounted Kahlers both need the top of your guitar routed.

Apologies, you are right. I mistakenly assumed no routing was required, but you do need top routing. No rear routing is required. 

I have owned two Fender HM Strats. One of them is still in fantastic condition, the other one I sold. You have to really baby them, the metal is really soft. 
mechanevil Yep, my HM was the first guitar I bought with my own money. It followed me everywhere, not many dings but the bridge was just not up to lasting. Until I figure out what to do with it, it's staying in its case.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Quote by Billie_J
dannyalcatraz

From what I've seen, it depends on whose signature you're talking about. Somebody who is really good, and really famous, and whose guitar is uniquely modified and not available with similar mods without the name would probably be a lot more expensive. If I had a signature model with my name on it, the price would increase by 11¢. There is no hard-and-fast rule. 

Quote by mechanevil
Oh, that's definitely true. It's kind of like Jeff Waterson of Annihilator rocking an Epiphone. It's an Epiphone, but probably something crafted with a lot more attention to detail, better woods, finishing, etc. 

But on the flip side, look at some of the custom runs Ibanez have done. For example, the Vai DNA guitars. Those were made available to the public and they are the same guitar that Vai owns. 

I was told that for the guitars that are actually provided to celebrity endorsers, they are often just cherry-picked, off-the-shelf models. The big difference between the fit and finish of expensive and economy guitars often comes down to inspection tolerances. On the expensive ones, the ± tolerances might be only .001 inch. On the cheaper ones, it's more like ± .010 inch. The inspectors at the factory will check out the entire day's run of guitars, and the best one is picked for the celebrity. That's also the reason why it's smart to test several examples of the same make and model at a guitar store before picking one. The 9th and 10th guitars coming off the production line might be different enough from each other that you could actually notice it. On the other hand, I've found that most guitar players can't detect really subtle differences. I know I can't.
gerdner

Depends on the company and the artist. What you described certainly jibes with what Ace Frehley said in a published interview.

Some "star guitars" are custom shop/ghost built jobs.

Others genuinely are off the rack...although in some of those cases, the rack is already pricey, like Steve Stevens' Knaggs sigs. But I've read a few interviews in which guitarists claim their Epiphone, Reverend, Fender or whatever was something they bought and had the company modify to their specs, then bought more of, or they designed from scratch and just keep buying. Reverend sigs are often like that- Reeves Gabrels, Billy Corgan, Pete Asheton and Rick Vito have all claimed the ones they use (except prototypes) are off-the shelf, regular production run guitars.

think it totally depends on the "star" and his stature within the company. Fender certainly makes guitars for Eric Clapton in the Custom Shop, they aren't off the rack. i would imagine that well established "guitar hero" types get custom made guitars. below that level then i wouln't be suprised if the "cherry picked" thing is true. i'd venture to say though that they are thoroughly inspected and are likely the cream of the crop. 
Quote by dannyalcatraz
gerdner

Depends on the company and the artist.  What you described certainly jibes with what Ace Frehley said in a published interview.

Some "star guitars" are custom shop/ghost built jobs.  

Others genuinely are off the rack...although in some of those cases, the rack is already pricey, like Steve Stevens' Knaggs sigs.  But I've read a few interviews in which guitarists claim their Epiphone, Reverend, Fender or whatever was something they bought and had the company modify to their specs, then bought more of, or they designed from scratch and just keep buying.  Reverend sigs are often like that- Reeves Gabrels, Billy Corgan, Pete Asheton and Rick Vito have all claimed the ones they use (except prototypes) are off-the shelf, regular production run guitars.

That's why I said "often" instead of saying "always". 
I typically stayed away from sig guitars until I looked at the Ibanez Japanese JEM. It was so ugly I had to take a look, but hands down it was a really nice guitar. Still kind of wish id bought it.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
When I buy a sig model, it really isn't about the guitarists, it really is about the guitar. Sometimes, I don't even know who the guitarist is when I buy them, such as when I bought my Reverend Rick Vito sig.

The only situation I've found myself wanting for a signature guitar was for a Buddy Guy Strat. Them dots are cool.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER