Page 1 of 3
I wanted to see how the intonation held up but he didn't really focus on that. As a bassist I like to boil my strings so that I can use them for a longer amount of time but after a year or two you lose a lot of accuracy in pitch. I imagine it's the same for guitar strings.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
I wanted to see how the intonation held up but he didn't really focus on that. As a bassist I like to boil my strings so that I can use them for a longer amount of time but after a year or two you lose a lot of accuracy in pitch. I imagine it's the same for guitar strings.

I feel maybe these were put on the guitar, not played and stuck away for 7 years.
In which case they have had some tarnish on them but hadn't really been used, so no oils or salts from sweat.
Quote by Victory2134
As a bassist I like to boil my strings so that I can use them for a longer amount of time

Wait... so you boil them when they are brand new, or take them off and boil after played for a while? What does boiling do clean them?
Quote by 33db
I feel maybe these were put on the guitar, not played and stuck away for 7 years.
In which case they have had some tarnish on them but hadn't really been used, so no oils or salts from sweat.

My thoughts exactly I doubt thet he has played that guitar regualary for 7 years, he probably should have touched on that.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Boiling maybe removes the dirt/grime/fingergrease? 

The strings on my player haven't been changed since I bought it. That's about 18 months, plus however long they were on the guitar when I bought it. They sound fine, not quite as bright as they used to. 
Quote by Evilnine
My thoughts exactly I doubt thet he has played that guitar regualary for 7 years, he probably should have touched on that.

Yep the strings would essentially still be intact especially since he stated they were of the chrome variety.

I never thought "played for 7 years" clearly the story there would be they lasted through 7 years of playing not the tone.
I just wondered if they were played at all prior to storage.
Quote by TobusRex

I could totally see that being true.
Quote by TobusRex

The strings on my player haven't been changed since I bought it. That's about 18 months, plus however long they were on the guitar when I bought it. They sound fine, not quite as bright as they used to. 

Yup http://www.professorstring.com/archives/boiling_guitar_string_soup.php

33dbBoil them with pasta to add some flavor to your riffs
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at May 11, 2017,
Since we are talking about cleaning strings I used some 90% isopropyl on those elixir strings and it appears to have taken the coating off, you can see shiny metal at the pickguard where I don't clean and a sort of rust brown down the neck.

Normally I wouldn't do that, I would just wipe them down, but I had put some regular Daddario's (really don't like those) on the Agile and forgotten that the elixirs were on the strat.
2 hours of playing on regular strings they have gunk all along the bottom, and yes I wash my hands.
Quote by Random3
You shouldn't need to "clean" coated strings like Elixirs. Just wipe them down and clean your hands before and after. They should last ages, and when the coating does wear off just throw another set on.

I think I mentioned it was a mistake.
Quote by Random3
My bad, my attention span is only about two lines of text.

No biggie, my point in bringing it up was that I believe isopropyl removes the coating.
Elixirs are like the best thing in the world.

Pure workmans strings, nothing really comes close.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Am I the only one who insists on washing my hands before I play guitar?
My buddy would always pick up my guitar and play it but I would get mad at him if he hadn't washed his hands first.
Am I just a neurotic asshole?
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by EpiExplorer

I thought I knew you.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Harvey Swick
Am I the only one who insists on washing my hands before I play guitar?
My buddy would always pick up my guitar and play it but I would get mad at him if he hadn't washed his hands first.
Am I just a neurotic asshole?

Well it's good to have clean hands but I would hate to picture you as some OCD wringer.

Quote by EpiExplorer

I like them too, I threw the Dadarios on there to see if there was a tonal difference, IMO the Elixirs sound better.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I thought I knew you.

Maybe he's trolling.
Quote by 33db
Well it's good to have clean hands but I would hate to picture you as some OCD wringer.

It was mostly when I had just changed the strings that I would get on his case about it. Plus he had a bad habit of eating those fucking hot Cheetos all the damn time and his fingertips were always a bright red. That shit irks me. 
If you do something right, no one will know you've done anything at all

Proud to be called Best Friends with Pastafarian96
Quote by Harvey Swick
It was mostly when I had just changed the strings that I would get on his case about it. Plus he had a bad habit of eating those fucking hot Cheetos all the damn time and his fingertips were always a bright red. That shit irks me. 

I don't let people use my gear regardless.
Quote by EpiExplorer

I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by 33db
Wait... so you boil them when they are brand new, or take them off and boil after played for a while? What does boiling do clean them?

You boil them once you've used them for a while to remove all the built up grime. It's not something you should do several times, and it only revitalizes the strings for a short amount of time, but it does extend the life of the strings. Some people also "bake" the strings afterwards at a low temperature to facilitate the drying process and prevent rust/corrosion. Alternatively, you could soak the strings in alcohol though you then run the risk of removing the coating (as mentioned earlier in the thread).

I think bassists do this more than any other musician due to the price of bass strings. You can pick up a pack of guitar stings every other week for like $10 but a pack of bass strings will cost you upwards of $50 (especially if you're playing a 5 or 6 string bass).

Also, Elixirs really are great.

zgr0826

smdh
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Victory2134 

Sorry I don't support your weeb strings.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by zgr0826
Victory2134 

Sorry I don't support your weeb strings.

I just posted a bunch of pics in the Discord NSFW section of this japanese chick who uses elixir strings for her bass. I had no idea the japanese community had a penchant for them.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
I just posted a bunch of pics in the Discord NSFW section of this japanese chick who uses elixir strings for her bass. I had no idea the japanese community had a penchant for them.

They like gimmicks.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by zgr0826
They like gimmicks.

VERY VERY VERY BREAKY BREAKY BREAKY
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by zgr0826
They like gimmicks.

inb4 the only strings you'll touch are thomastik-infelds or labella tapewounds
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
inb4 the only strings you'll touch are thomastik-infelds or labella tapewounds

Ernie Ball Slinkys

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by zgr0826
Ernie Ball Slinkys

Those were my favs forever, but I have sweat like some H. R. Giger creation stalking space merchants on a humid ship so they do not last long.
Quote by zgr0826
Ernie Ball Slinkys

You're a basic piece of noob, rofl.

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I thought I knew you.

Even I don't know me.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
> Calls somebody a noob

> Pays 20 bucks for a set of coated strings that loses coating after a few weeks. 
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by EpiExplorer
You're a basic piece of noob, rofl. 

Sorry my strings aren't gluten-free, organic, cruelty-free, and halal, fampai

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by zgr0826
Ernie Ball Slinkys

Do they still sell the cobalt strings? I liked those more than the Slinkys even though they feel like shit the tone is so much better.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
Do they still sell the cobalt strings? I liked those more than the Slinkys even though they feel like shit the tone is so much better.

They doooooooo
https://www.ernieball.com/guitar-strings/electric-guitar-strings/slinky-cobalt-electric-guitar-strings#P02721

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by UltimateGuizar
I just tried boiling my strings, but when I took my guitar up out of the vat all the paint was bubbly and cracked. Was the water too hot?

Rub IcyHot on it to fix it.

Quote by ErikLensherr

Quote by zgr0826
Rub IcyHot on it to fix it.

Nope you use taint oil.
Page 1 of 3