Welp this one didn't go as well as the Quilter experience, I had a intermittent static sound from the amp and a low level hum.

Called JCA and they were laid back, no problem, send you out some new tubes and no problem returning it either if I wanted to.
That's reassuring, it just so happened I purchased a JJ 6L6 because it is supposed to be "cleaner" than the EL34 that the amp came with.

I swapped out the tube with the JJ and it's crystal clean, quiet, and Loud As %$#@, it's only 5 watts and it is loud.
It has a 2 watt setting so I think that's where it will be set as the 5 watt is going to terrorize the neighbors.

This little amp is pretty cool for $199, 2 12AX7's and a EL34 or 6L6 in the power position (They advertise swapping between the 2 of them)
Front panel has a bright switch, Bass Boost, and Mid Boost switch.
Stand by switch, 5w or 2w output power switch and gain/master plus the usual tone trio of treble mid bass.
Back panel has an effects loop with their "Mojo Tone circuit" and 3 speaker outs 4, 8, 16 ohm.

The tone of the amp is livelier than the Quilter, which I expected as it's tube, it wants to crunch, less so with the 6L6 installed, you can get a little higher on the gain knob before it breaks.
The 2 watt setting breaks up faster than the 5 watt setting.
All in all I like the sound of it, you could jam with a quiet, dynamics oriented drummer with this amp.

So bad start but seems to be ending well, time will tell.
Last edited by 33db at May 11, 2017,
How would you describe its core tone, in terms of suitability for particular genres? Is it a rock amp, a metal amp, etc.?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
How would you describe its core tone, in terms of suitability for particular genres? Is it a rock amp, a metal amp, etc.?

It's a rock amp, you can't get very clean tones out of it, not at any volume.
The humbuckers on the Agile aren't as dark as they are on the Quilter, with the bass boost on gain up and bridge PUP selected it's quite chunky.
Reverb sounds great through the loop.

The tubes that came with it are cheap as %$#@ so I would add the cost of new tubes to the total.

I ordered 2 12ax7's to replace what's in there, the difference in sound with that JJ was pretty dramatic, maybe it was the bad tube but I suspect even if the tube wasn't scratchy it wouldn't have sounded that great.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
So this amp was livelier but 'didn't go as well'?

PS: cheap ass tubes will always ruin it
yeah it sounds like a tube amp, I guess livelier is just how I think of it.
And yeah one scratchy power tube ruined it, but after putting the JJ in it I've been playing for about 2 hours and it sounds pretty good for a $200 amp, only time will tell how good the build is.
Pretty sure I'll switch back to the Quilter in a few days, I got this to play with, there are some mods online for it and I wanted to stick different tubes it that sort of thing.
is it a baby marshall or a champ clone? i've always liked the jet cities i've played.

enjoy!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
is it a baby marshall or a champ clone? i've always liked the jet cities i've played.

enjoy!

I honestly can’t say never owned a marshall or champ (fender?) nor played either long enough to form an opinion.
It’s crunchy, you can get some bluesy sounds but it goes heavy real quick.
Right now i’m doing scales with a clean sound in the 2w mode, gain on 1 master @7, going to 2 on the gain starts breaking up.

eDIT: I can get some good tones out of it, but with the gain up and the volume lowered (for neighbors) it's muddy, even with a Strat it's muddy.
You have to turn the volume up to get clarity not sure if that's normal.
It has more "mud" in the 2 watt setting than the 5.
For $200 I would say not bad, but I bought to screw around with, it''s a tertiary amp, I wouldn't suggest it as an only amp.
Last edited by 33db at May 13, 2017,
I replaced both pre amp tubes and the power amp tube and the sound is clearer, and brighter.
It takes longer to start break up, on the gain knob can make it almost to 4 now so louder bright cleans.
2 x JJ ECC83 / 12AX7 Gold Pin Preamp Vacuum Tube
1 x JJ 6L6GC Power Vacuum Tube
For a total of $70.72 extra.

Kinda surprised at the difference.
Still sounds like a good deal.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by 33db
You have to turn the volume up to get clarity not sure if that's normal.

that is normal to a degree, once you get to "loud talking on cell phone" volume everything the amp is trying to do should be audible.

congrats again, sounds like a fun little amp.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I had a problem with the power tube and called Jet City, got right through, guy was super cool told me he would send me a new tube.
Well he totally did, 2 full sets (6 tubes), I feel like Jet City took care of me so I want them to get a few points for that.
Last edited by 33db at May 20, 2017,
Sorry for the near zombie like return of this thread. I failed to see the need for another thread and wanted to leave my thoughts on the amp as there is a dearth of info on the Custom 5.

I picked up a Custom 5 a few months ago. Love the amp. Muddiness with the EL34 tube power tube model occurs with high gain (<3) settings, despite using low noise, gain matched EHX 12ax7 preamp tubes. 5751 tubes are rumored in other forums to give the gain knob more usability. I also seem to have some intermittent issues with the effects loop. If I use a 6" patch cable to close the effects loop, the amp works perfectly - just no effects loop.

However, the amp sounds fantastic with everything other than a full-on hollowbody jazz box. The acoustic reverb is just too bassy for the amp unless you practically zero out the bass control. This is a rock/heavy blues amp. It can provide mild to full on overdrive, and some amp driven fuzz, particularly by engaging the fat switch. Clean tones are possible, but the volume drop by dialing out the gain is substantial.

This is a fun amp. Not very versatile, and not a pedal platform. But it can get you into Marshall territory, even if the voicing of the amp is uniquely Jet City. I must also add that customer service from Jet City is top notch. They are responsive and helpful as everyone has come to expect.
The thread is a little stale, but not too old.

(Still, don't make a habit of necroing threads much older than this.)

nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?