How does one fix fret buzz? It seems every fret on the following strings: A, and G (on a 7 string in AeadGbe), when i got it from the online store, they set it up quite nicely, and there was never any noticeable buzz, but they had it set up in B standard (BEADGBE) using "Strandberg 9.5 - 64" string set, but I had the GC guitar tech set it up with D'Addario NYXL strings with 10 - 59 string set into Drop A (basically still B standard, with the low B dropped to an A), it's day 3 of using it, and I've realized that the A and G strings are buzzing on every fret. Aside from the fact that the A is buzzing (it seems to be a norm with dropped tunings, considering my Drop C 6 string guitar has the same problem with the C buzzing, but other than that, the other strings don't buzz).

So A string aside, the problematic G string. How does one fix fret buzzing?
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- A cheap fender strat knock-off not worth naming
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
i am assuming the trus rod is too tight and the neck has a back bow, if you have a straight ruler.. put it on the frets and see if the fret are all straight from the first fret to the 22nd fret..  it is recommended that there is a slight forward bow to compensate for better action...  The guitar needs to get a proper setup by a luthier.
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Quote by psp742
i am assuming the trus rod is too tight and the neck has a back bow, if you have a straight ruler.. put it on the frets and see if the fret are all straight from the first fret to the 22nd fret..  it is recommended that there is a slight forward bow to compensate for better action...  The guitar needs to get a proper setup by a luthier.

Would any ruler do? I don't exactly have any of those tools I see guitar techs using.. 
And when you say too tight, does that mean I need to unscrew it a bit? If I understand it right, tightening will make it bend toward the strings side, and loosening will make it bend towards the neck wood side (where the thumb goes)?
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Parac

You should be able to see the amount of bow by sighting down the edge of the fretboard from the headstock towards the body. It will give you a rough estimate,and when you get the desired forward bow, you can use the guitar strings themselves under tension as the straight edge.
Tight right loose left..

The trus rod counters the tension of the strings.. which means you need to loosen the nut a bit to get some forward bow, quarter turn should be enough. Btw, if the trus rod nut is hex, make sure you get correct size.. you won't want to strip it..
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at May 12, 2017,
Quote by psp742
Tight right loose left..

The trus rod counters the tension of the strings.. which means you need to loosen the nut a bit to get some forward bow, quarter turn should be enough. Btw, if the trus rod nut is hex, make sure you get correct size..  you won't want to strip it..

I'm going to take a guess and say that if i stripped the truss rod hex, I'd have to replace the whole neck?
Gear:
- ESP LTD MH-50
- Strandberg OS 7
- Garageband
- Boss GT-1
- Potato
Quote by Parac
I'm going to take a guess and say that if i stripped the truss rod hex, I'd have to replace the whole neck?

It depends on the guitar in question, how it was stripped and what style of truss rod it has. But replacing a stripped barrel nut is almost never easy, cheap or fun.

You'll be absolutely fine with adjusting it as long as you don't overtighten it, use the wrong allen wrench, or don't fully engage the allen wrench with the barrel nut before you start tightening it.

I suggest reading this article.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/the_guide_to/truss_rod_tips.html

Don't take it to a tech to do it for you. It's a rudimentary adjustment in setting a guitar up that you need to do on occasion or if you decide to use a different string gauge, so you really need to learn how to adjust it yourself.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee