Poll: Which one?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one?
Zoom G1Xon
0 0%
Boss ME-25
3 100%
Voters: 3.
I'm thinking of buying a multi-effects pedal and can't decide between the Zoom G1Xon and the Boss ME-25.

They both seem to have similar effects and functions but the former is more reasonably priced.

Also, they each have very good reviews on various sites.

Any thoughts?
What are your plans for using it?

The G1Xon is an excellent headphone practice tool, but as an effects pedal for an amp it's not so great.  If you're going to be using an amp, save up and get either the G3 or G5.

The ME25 is good, but again will depend on how you intend to use it.  Boss's ME series have some great features, but the practical application of those features isn't always the best.

Have you looked at Line 6?  They're on a par with the better Zoom units I mentioned and are also worth considering.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks a lot for your answer! Definitely some interesting additional options.

To answer your question, I was thinking mainly practice and maybe small gigs as well.

The idea is to add just a bit to the tone of the guitar with more mellow effects, as well as get a better feel for effects in general.
If you're thinking small gigs as well, I'd definitely recommend holding out for one of Zoom's bigger units.

You didn't mention if you'd be using it with an amp or not?  I'm guessing you will be if you're considering gigging.  That matters too - and so does how you would use it with the amp.  There are 3 main options:
  1. In front of the amp.  This is best for drive, distortion, compression, wah.  Not necessarily so great for modulation & delays if you're using any of the amp's drive etc.
  2. In the amp's effect loop.  Complete opposite of option 1.  Best for modulations & delays, not advised for drives etc.
  3. Four Cable Method.  This allows a single effects unit to be used in both ways mentioned above.  Nothing you are considering can do this, nor can anything I've recommended so far.

You also need to consider if you'll need any control of the patches you're using.  WIth the G1Xon, all you can do is change patch & hope you've got them all in the order you need them.  With the G3/G5, you can control each individual effect within a patch.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks for the explanation about the different options for pedal/amp arrangement! Very instructive stuff.

Depending on the gig, there's a good chance I'd be using it directly through the PA most of the time (I was thinking of using it mainly for solo performances).

I'm looking at the G3X now, based on your recommendations--it's definitely above what I'd planned to spend but maybe it'll be worth it down the line.

My only other concern is that its use might not be as "intuitive" for a beginner pedal-user such as myself.
The great thing about the G3X is that it couldn't be simpler.  It's basically set out as 3 separate pedals plus an expression.  You want an effect on/off?  Simply hit that pedal.

With the G1Xon, it's obviously based on a more limited version of the same models, but it is purely about patches.  If you want an effect switched on/off, you have to set up your patches in the right order so they're all where you need them.  Doing that for a whole gig would be impossible.

The bigger pedal would definitely be the better long term investment.  It's an actual tool that can be used for gigging, the G1 range is purely a practice accessory.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
This is kind of a I wish I had known then what I know now type of suggestion,  When choosing a multi FX solely on ease of use you need to remember your not going to be a noob forever, Then you look back and wish you'd have spent that extra XXX bucks on something that would have been more than enough long into your journey,  But now you end up having to spend more money to upgrade and your old multi is worth pennies on the dollar as used gear,  Personally I've never used any of the Zoom stuff nor am I a fan of scrolling through a LCD screen to set up various patches, Which is why I use a Boss ME-80, Old school knobs and as simple as they get, or as complicated as you wish to make it.   And as all Roland/Boss products damn near bullet proof,  Meaning there's really no reason you couldn't be using it some 10 to 20 years down the road,   Hell I still have an old Roland GR-1 made back in the 80's, Still works perfectly. 
Last edited by nastytroll at May 13, 2017,
Thank you both for your advice! I got the G3Xn in the end, very happy with it so far.