Page 1 of 2
Hi, I'm new around here and after viewing threads, I believe you might be able to help me, please. So I play electric guitar, mainly  in Open D and finger picking. I play wih earphones on and rarely strum. My playing times are 1pm-2pm every other day (4 days per week). So I play quitely with earphones on amd a hour in the afternoon.
My neighbours are very noisy, DIY at 11pm, loud tv, stomping, shouting etc. Well they bang on the floor when I play. They are rude so I can't be civil and come to a compromise. They live above me, even though they are noisy,  I never bang or retaliate.

So, what do you think I should do? should I stop playing? I should note I own an acoustic guitar but don't play it as I don't want to be too loud. That's why I switched to electric guitar.

Thanks for any advice given and for reading my poorly written essay on a galaxy tab 2 lol
Last edited by mrnethazard at May 12, 2017,
God save the queen
Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
I think what you need is a new amp.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
After seeing how my post ended up, had to edit it on pc. Galaxy tab 2 and PS4 do not like this forum lol. 
Try retaliating. 

Crank it as loud as you can, downtune to drop B, and play droning tritone intervals.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by zgr0826
Try retaliating. 

Crank it as loud as you can, downtune to drop B, and play droning tritone intervals.

I'm in the UK here, would you say 1 hour in the afternoon 4 days a week is disrepectful? Like i mentioned, i play with earphones on and i don't even strum. I want to be respectful but i am just wondering if i am at fault. Thanks for the reply by the way
Quote by mrnethazard
I'm in the UK here, would you say 1 hour in the afternoon 4 days a week is disrepectful? Like i mentioned, i play with earphones on and i don't even strum. I want to be respectful but i am just wondering if i am at fault. Thanks for the reply by the way

It's not rude at all. If you're wearing headphones, they can sod off.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
"I play with headphones on and my neighbors make so much noise that it would literally be impossible for them to hear me and I also play at reasonable hours. What should I do? Should I stop playing for literally no reason?"

Yeah that's a tough answer...
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
What non-confritational world did you come from and why did your people abandon you on earth!?

Play your damn acoustic, crank your amp, do what you want.  My guess is you're an introvert and their noisy happenings have zero to do with you.  

Whatever it may be, never again consider not playing.  
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Quote by zgr0826
It's not rude at all. If you're wearing headphones, they can sod off.

Thank you! When i moved in, i put away my acoustic guitar and started to play Electric again (but only with earphones on). I also decided that i would only play 2-3 times a week and a reasonable time. But they bang and so i am just considering what to do. Thanks again!
Quote by Badluckpalms
What non-confritational world did you come from and why did your people abandon you on earth!?

Play your damn acoustic, crank your amp, do what you want.  My guess is you're an introvert and their noisy happenings have zero to do with you.  

Whatever it may be, never again consider not playing.  

The thing is, i can hear everything they do and so i assume they can hear everything we do. So i wanted to be respectful, hence i stopped playing acoustic. If i were single, i wouldn't care, i do not want to risk being evicted due to noise complaints. I'd rather give up playing, than seeing my partner made homeless because of me.

I appreciate what you're saying though.
mrnethazard And I can appreciate what you're saying, really I do, I'm married and have always lived in apartments, BUT... 

the unspoken rules of engagement state that you're allowed to be as loud as the next guy. The fact that they don't have "consideration" for you as a neighbor implies that they do not interpret noisy neighbors as an issue. At the very least, this gives you room to test the boundary. It's a win win really. If you choose to play as you'd like and they say nothing, you realize you've been worried about nothing. If you choose play as you'd like and they say something, you have room to barter because they are loud and invading your personal space and time. From that option, two choices prevail: A) they quiet down and your home life becomes more peaceful, or B) you come to an agreement on a time that you can do as you please without the need to worry about your neighbor.  

Also, the time you are playing is totally reasonable. Noise laws exist for a reason, not only to hold accountable the people who are rude, but also to protect people who are living their lives.
"I definitely don’t write all my music in a blackout, like I used to, although I did come up with some good stuff in a blackout."
-Matt Fucking Pike
Quote by Badluckpalms
mrnethazard And I can appreciate what you're saying, really I do, I'm married and have always lived in apartments, BUT... 

the unspoken rules of engagement state that you're allowed to be as loud as the next guy. The fact that they don't have "consideration" for you as a neighbor implies that they do not interpret noisy neighbors as an issue. At the very least, this gives you room to test the boundary. It's a win win really. If you choose to play as you'd like and they say nothing, you realize you've been worried about nothing. If you choose play as you'd like and they say something, you have room to barter because they are loud and invading your personal space and time. From that option, two choices prevail: A) they quiet down and your home life becomes more peaceful, or B) you come to an agreement on a time that you can do as you please without the need to worry about your neighbor.  

Also, the time you are playing is totally reasonable. Noise laws exist for a reason, not only to hold accountable the people who are rude, but also to protect people who are living their lives.

Thank you, really big thank you. Having read your reply, i do feel better about playing and won't stop. I really have tried to be respectful (even though they have not). They can't say they are not aware of their noise, the people living next to me made noise complaints about them above. Infactthe police were called many times. Yet we stayed quite and kept ourselves to ourselves. We think they believe it was us that complained about them and called the police - so they are picking on anything to bang etc.

Thanks again and for reading my dribble lol
Have you had any communication with these people? don't stop playing because of some buttholes, don't push it but stand up for yourself...you pay rent too.
Flying in a blue dream
I don't buy this story at all. You play with headphones and claim the neighbors can hear it through the walls/floor? Bull
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by StewieSwan
I don't buy this story at all. You play with headphones and claim the neighbors can hear it through the walls/floor? BullThey are above us, 

They are above us, we know they can hear me playing as someone stomping on their floor as hard as they can is, well it's quite telling. Plus, the stomping and banging happens the moment i touch a string and stops the moment i stop. The story is not bull, you must have very good sound proofing in your flat/apartment.
Quote by 33db
How do they hear you if you have headphones on?

You can feel the vibrations through the walls and that goes through the floor too. I don't wish to go deaf early, so when using earphones i have the volume low. Plus, i have to care for my partner and need to hear if they need help.

Stomping as hard as you can on a floor will get noticed by anyone living below you (earphones or not) unless the housing developer installed good sound proofing.
Lol
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by mrnethazard
They are above us, we know they can hear me playing as someone stomping on their floor as hard as they can is, well it's quite telling. Plus, the stomping and banging happens the moment i touch a string and stops the moment i stop. The story is not bull, you must have very good sound proofing in your flat/apartment.

I don't buy it, man. Few things on earth are more quiet than an electric guitar string being plucked acoustically. 
They feel the vibrations through the walls... do you mean to say that you play with earplugs? Try knocking on their door with some beers, hang out with them a bit, and see if you can get them to chill. I'm not sure if that works with the british though, as your people tend to be much more douchey and passive aggressive than regular people.
Quote by 33db
How do they hear you if you have headphones on?

I misread your reply, sorry. I have no idea, i have light gauge strings on and i don't use a pick either. I just finger pick but the moment i hit those strings, bang on the floor and followed by stomping. I use my guitar pedal and have the earphones through the pedal, so the only noise to be heard is me picking strings, etc.

I just think they are looking for anything to complain about, seeing as they had noise complaints about them from our others neibours. They must think it was us who complained. Yet it as not, it was the people next to them. I don't blame them, the people above do DIY at gone 11pm. But we have not complained, i guess that was a mistake lol
Quote by StewieSwan
I don't buy it, man. Few things on earth are more quiet than an electric guitar string being plucked acoustically. 

I'm not trying to convince you, i play with earphones on, i only use my fingers and do not strum. Yet they bang when i start playing. If you believe me or not, that is your choice. All i know is, as soon as i hit a string - they bang. I made this thread as to see if anyone has experienced this or if it is possible to hear electric guitar strings in other flats above etc.
They're DIYers? The best way to stop them in that case is to send in a report to the fire marshall that you have reason to believe they are committing safety violations. DIYs tend to have no care for the safety of buildings, are not up to code, and the degenerates that they tend to attract must be kicked out for their own safety. You shouldn't have to tolerate libshits near your living quarters
Quote by Fat Lard
They feel the vibrations through the walls... do you mean to say that you play with earplugs? Try knocking on their door with some beers, hang out with them a bit, and see if you can get them to chill. I'm not sure if that works with the british though, as your people tend to be much more douchey and passive aggressive than regular people.

That would be possible if we were on good terms. When they moved in they were and continue to be very noisy. So the people next door told us they put into a noise complaint and so the people above us got a warning. Since then, they have been nothing but rude and bang at any sound and at no matter what time. Don't get me wrong, i want to be on good terms with them but they have to want to work things out and from their actions, that is not what they want (i believe).

It would take me longer to explain but safe to say, they are not the type of people who would sit down with a beer and chill. They just got a axe to grind because they got a complaint made at them by people next to them (not us).

As for the sound, i mean i can hear their stomping/banging through the walls and celling. Even with my earphones on i can hear them do it.
Quote by Fat Lard
They're DIYers? The best way to stop them in that case is to send in a report to the fire marshall that you have reason to believe they are committing safety violations. DIYs tend to have no care for the safety of buildings, are not up to code, and the degenerates that they tend to attract must be kicked out for their own safety. You shouldn't have to tolerate libshits near your living quarters

Oh the people living next to them complained about the DIY and other noise they make. Has not stopped them, they laid off the DIY for a few days and bam went back to it.

It's like living below children!. But point being, i don't want my guitar playing to be the reason for their rude 
Quote by mrnethazard
I'm not trying to convince you, i play with earphones on, i only use my fingers and do not strum. Yet they bang when i start playing. If you believe me or not, that is your choice. All i know is, as soon as i hit a string - they bang. I made this thread as to see if anyone has experienced this or if it is possible to hear electric guitar strings in other flats above etc.

Tell me, do they also bang when you breathe or chew?
Quote by StewieSwan
Tell me, do they also bang when you breathe or chew?

haha no but they do when i snore and i know your comment was in jest but they bang when either me or my partner snore or talk in our sleep!. 
Like i mentioend above, i think they just have an axe to grind and so any noise will trigger them. Anyone tell me how loud light gauge strings bring picked sounds like in an apartmenr above? I just wish to know as to see if there is any merit to their issue.

Thanks
Best thread of 2017
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
They sound like assholes, don't give up something you enjoy and have a right too because of trolls above.
Quote by mrnethazard
Oh the people living next to them complained about the DIY and other noise they make. Has not stopped them, they laid off the DIY for a few days and bam went back to it.

It's like living below children!. But point being, i don't want my guitar playing to be the reason for their rude 

Dude, just ignore them. The worst that will happen is the cops will start ignoring them for putting in false noise complaints and being difficult. Just listen for their next DIY ammalgation of absolute degeneracy and call in a tip that illicit drugs are being used, possibly by minors, and you are concerned for their safety
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
"I play with headphones on and my neighbors make so much noise that it would literally be impossible for them to hear me and I also play at reasonable hours. What should I do? Should I stop playing for literally no reason?"

Yeah that's a tough answer...

Quit being an arse he's asking for some help, no wonder the forums slowed down.
Quote by 33db
They sound like assholes, don't give up something you enjoy and have a right too because of trolls above.

Thank you, yeah they have been nothing but a holes since they moved in. They really got a axe to grind and if we were anything like them, well the complaints would be endless. But we try to live and let be and just do nothing about their noise.

Anyways, thanks for the support and i hope you never live next or below people like them, really does ruin playing when you hear someone banging on a radiator or stomping a floor. I mean if i didn't use earphones i would understand. But i have gone out my way to limit any noise they hear. I switched to finger picking just to be able to play and not cause trouble, yet that's still getting the triggered.
Quote by 33db
Quit being an arse he's asking for some help, no wonder the forums slowed down.

I like your new gimmick. You realized your shitty troll threads were going nowhere so you delete them and go the moral troll route instead. Im witnessing evolution firsthand
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I like your new gimmick. You realized your shitty troll threads were going nowhere so you delete them and go the moral troll route instead. Im witnessing evolution firsthand

The only person trolling in that thread was you, I simply wanted to know what people think of Elixir strings.
If you don't like don't go there.
FFS your name makes so much sense now.
Quote by Fat Lard
Dude, just ignore them. The worst that will happen is the cops will start ignoring them for putting in false noise complaints and being difficult. Just listen for their next DIY ammalgation of absolute degeneracy and call in a tip that illicit drugs are being used, possibly by minors, and you are concerned for their safety

Not sure where the OP is but in the US you have a right to practice below a certain decibel level and between certain hours, where I am there is literally nothing that can be done legally if you meet those restrictions.
Quote by 33db
FFS your name makes so much sense now.

BORN TO BLEED,
FIGHTING TO SUCCEED,
BUILT TO ENDURE WHAT THIS WORLD THROWS AT ME

---

IVE GOT TO TAKE MY LIFE BACK
ONE CHANCE, TO MAKE IT RIGHT
Page 1 of 2