Hey all. So I am a bass player who has started a second band that I play the guitar in, so I'm looking for rig ideas. Sound I am looking for is a more "natural" heavy distorted sound. I have an Epiphone Goth SG and a tiny peavey practice amp. Looking to swap out the pickups for something better. I also would like to find a good 2x12 cab, a mid level 50 watt head, and pedal suggestions as well. Not in a huge budget either so cheaper the better. Thanks people!!
I'd look for a used 5150, that's a pretty nice amp that covers a lot of gain territory and won't break the bank. Add a tube screamer in front to add some mid forward content. For a cab, there are plenty of options, just audition different ones to see which you like best. 

Here's a 120 watt 5150 for under $600, some rips in the tolex according to the seller, but otherwise all good: 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-5150-II-Guitar-Amplifier-Head-Eddie-Van-Halen-Signature-/182545623541?hash=item2a809129f5:g:ItkAAOSwSypY~8lG
Strandberg Boden 8-String Ibanez RG2228
Fender HM Strat ESP Horizon-II Five-String Bass
Roland TD-30K Mesa Boogie Mark V:25
EVH5150III 50-Watt Yamaha Motif Rack XS
Access Virus TI Snow Polyend Perc Pro
1) a target budget would really help us help you
2) don't even think about a pickup swap until you at least have your amp situation sorted.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Warbeard92
Hey all. So I am a bass player who has started a second band that I play the guitar in, so I'm looking for rig ideas. Sound I am looking for is a more "natural" heavy distorted sound. I have an Epiphone Goth SG and a tiny peavey practice amp. Looking to swap out the pickups for something better. I also would like to find a good 2x12 cab, a mid level 50 watt head, and pedal suggestions as well. Not in a huge budget either so cheaper the better. 

I was already using a modeler for guitar and just bought some full-range bass cabinets (fEARful 15/6/1). I already had a Carvin HD1500 power amp, so when I switched to bass, I picked up an old Bass Pod XT and ran that into the power amp. It turned out the cabinets were PA-class and worked with everything, so now guitar, bass and keyboards all run into a mixer, into a power amp and into these cabinets.  These days the Line 6 Helix has bass goodies built in, so the Bass Pod XT is just along as a backup (the other bass backup is a Carvin BX1500), and the Helix does pretty much everything guitar-wise. 
Forget about pickups for now. Spend your entire budget on the best amp and cabinet you can afford.

You can get a Peavey 5150/6505 212 combo for $800 used if you shop around.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend