Hey guys, I currently have a line 6 spider 3 15 watt amp that I got when I first started playing. Of course I want to upgrade now that I am older and a somewhat better player. I was looking for what type of amp would sound great for a modern metal tone with a drop tuned guitar (C-C#).

Additionally, a local guy is selling a Marshall 250DFX for 100 dollars. This is a nicer amp than what I have and am considering buying it since I feel this is a good price, however I don't want it to be putting out a really garage-type overdrive tone. Would this produce a good modern tone?

Sorry, not the hugest gearhead, hince why I am asking for advice. Thanks
marshall MGs are pretty crappy. I'm not sure it's any better than what you already have, apart from being louder.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Celebraden
Hey guys, I currently have a line 6 spider 3 15 watt amp that I got when I first started playing. Of course I want to upgrade now that I am older and a somewhat better player. I was looking for what type of amp would sound great for a modern metal tone with a drop tuned guitar (C-C#).

I don't think that the amp you're considering is much of an upgrade. 
well the MG is certainly a way bigger amp and may be slightly better tone wise. for $100 that's not a bad price provided the amp is in good condition.  you'll find that Marshall MGs get no love on this forum however as i said at that price point it's not bad. if you need an amp loud enough to play in a band on the cheap that would work. if you just want something to play at home then perhaps you couild save some more money and go for a Peavey VIP series amp which would be better tone wise for what you want
Thanks everyone for the replies. I hadn't done too much research before posting in the forum. I think I may just save up and look elsewhere. I guess just for 100 that it would be a decent upgrade, but it may be best to buy something else. Any suggestions on a good amp for gigging that would give a good tone? I saw monwobobbo mentioned the Peavy VIP series. 

Once again thank you.
Quote by Celebraden
Thanks everyone for the replies. I hadn't done too much research before posting in the forum. I think I may just save up and look elsewhere. I guess just for 100 that it would be a decent upgrade, but it may be best to buy something else. Any suggestions on a good amp for gigging that would give a good tone? I saw monwobobbo mentioned the Peavy VIP series. 

Once again thank you.

answer on "better" amp would totally depend on your budget
Quote by monwobobbo
well the MG is certainly a way bigger amp and may be slightly better tone wise. for $100 that's not a bad price provided the amp is in good condition.  you'll find that Marshall MGs get no love on this forum however as i said at that price point it's not bad. if you need an amp loud enough to play in a band on the cheap that would work. if you just want something to play at home then perhaps you couild save some more money and go for a Peavey VIP series amp which would be better tone wise for what you want

yeah that's sort of what i was thinking, i was wondering if i was being too harsh... if you absolutely need the extra volume (say you're starting gigging or whatever), for $100 it may be fine. but if you don't, it's likely more of a step sidewise (admittedly slightly more future-proof, though, in case you ever do start gigging).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?