About a year ago, I had a pretty bad house fire, and all of my instruments were in the house. I was able to save them all from the wreckage and clean them all pretty well, and was able to get the electronics in my basses and electric guitars working without much of an issue. But they all still smell pretty strongly of smoke. They all smell like they've sat next to a campfire since they were built.

Is there anyway to get that smell out of them? The playability hasn't been permanently affected and none of them are structurally compromised, but if this smell will never go away, I won't really be able to sell them ever if I decide i want to get rid of them. That and the cases for these guitars will permanently smell like a bonfire too.
If you leave the guitar in a room full of smoke, the odor will be smoked out and disappear entirely, as predicted by the Werztenkamp-Erlenstegen Combustion Law of Double Negatives.
Do you find it kinda smelled like bacon?

I had a guitar and it was saved from a fire. Smelled like mad bacon.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Now I'm panicking about how I would save the 4 guitars/basses gifted to me.

Thanks OP
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by zgr0826
Now I'm panicking about how I would save the 4 guitars/basses gifted to me.

Thanks OP

Dont and claim your squiers were USA fenders and hope they burned completely.

Then claim your replacement Fender USA instruments fam.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
start smoking and you won't even notice the smell of smoke anymore 
Well, I'd recommend soap and water and a soft rag, but that might not go so well on a wood finish. 
That's a smell you may never get rid of, it's pretty much soaked into the wood and the paint.  The only thing I can think of that may work is sealing the guitars in a room with an Ozone machine running for recommended time.  When I worked in a resort I would have to run an Ozone in the rooms people smoked cigarettes & cigars in and it would eliminate the smell from everything. 
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at May 13, 2017,
I second the ozone machine treatment. Some people do this do get rid of cigarette odors on guitars. You might also consider leaving it in a case or box with coffee grounds. Vinegar or lemon oil can help a little bit too.

I bought a wah pedal on Reverb once, and it smelled like it spent years inside of smokey bars/basements. I could smell it before I even opened the box. I had to leave it in a small box w/coffee grounds for about a week (after wiping off as much tar resin as I could). That helped quite a bit. I then let it sit outside on a covered deck for maybe another week or 2. The smell is finally gone.

Bottom line, smoke smells can be really challenging to remove, and any non-ozone treatment method will take time to be effective. At least in your case, it's not cigarette smoke (where the tar resins cling to everything), so it might be slightly easier for you.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at May 13, 2017,
what you need is a new amp
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank