I bought an used Epiphone SG-400 today (I'll show it later) and long story short, I noticed a little crack on the finish on the neck joint, but it looked just fine from the sides so I didn't bothered about it. After closer inspection, it seems the neck received a tiny layer of paint on top, and the pick guard piece that sits in between the humbucker and the neck doesn't sit perfectly flush due to it. I also noticed a small bump on the paint that has been clearly retouched on the body on the back, meaning it's possible the previous owner did the painting job as well.

The back crack seems to perfectly match the neck and the body, so could this mean the cracks simply appeared due to normal use and the previews owner tried to retouch them, or does this mean some bigger issue? The neck has no signs of falling or having it something.
'07 Jackson Pro Dinky DK2M (MIJ)
Squier Strat SE
Marshall Valvestate VS15R practice amp
Last edited by andre.fontes.es at May 28, 2017,
if it plays,  it's fine. I recommend just not worrying about it. Refinish it if the crack bugs you.
No. The neck on that guitar has not been replaced. Nobody would bother doing such a huge amount of work on an inexpensive guitar like a G400.

What you're seeing is that the finish is suffering stress cracks from a sudden impact. SG's do not have very strong neck joints and cracks around the neck joint on older SG's are common. I wouldn't worry if the cracks only appear in the finish. I would start worrying if the cracks go down to the wood.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Thanks a lot for the answers guys, I think now I can ignore it for once. It's always like this every time I buy something in second hand, I spend hours inspecting every little imperfection just to completely ignore them after a couple days.

The fact I am aware the necks of these guitars break easily was the reason I got worried so much, even after spending most of the time I met with the seller inspecting it.
Squier Strat SE
The neck will not come out of the body. That's a fact. The joint will be very strong. The neck itself could break, but if the crack doesn't noticeably affect the neck then it's most likely just a finish crack. I have a few on my G400. Its nothing to worry about. Just play the dang thing! It's a great guitar!
Check the headstock or the back of the neck for obvious dings -- it's probably been dropped at some point. 
Also check the action to see if it's a bit high at the 22nd fret. 
I think the guitar might had suffered some impact at some point indeed, even considering the finish chip on the second pic. The neck and headstock are perfectly fine, those were the very first thing I looked for on it and trying to apply some gentle force on it doesn't seem to move the crack at all. I went as far as removing the plastic cover in between the neck and the treble pickup, the mount is perfectly flush with the body and the reason the plastic piece isn't flush is because the previous owner clearly disassembled it to retouch the crack as I suspected. Under it, I could see a crack running all the way down to the pickup socket (perhaps I should remove it as well to get a better looks) and there's a crack on the other side as well, running a bit out the plastic cover, but not reaching the socket.

Is it possible this can bring some stability issues in the long term? Could the crack mean the glue is affected?
Squier Strat SE
I ended up not photographing the underneath of it, but I'm just too curious not to end up disassembling the pickup and checking out the cavity, supposedly a wood crack would be very noticeable in there. I'd let you guys know when I eventually do so.
Squier Strat SE
Last edited by andre.fontes.es at May 13, 2017,
UPDATE: the guitar got checked today by a luthier and he concluded the damage was just aesthetic and couldn't have affected either the wood or the glue's strength. Well, I think I can sleep well now, but the crack still *cracks* me. Maybe soon enough I'll learn to ignore it. Maybe, being as stubborn as I am, I'll end up attempting to repair it - the famous last words "it doesn't seem that hard". Maybe I'll end up finding someone willing to pay more for it than what I paid and search for a better one. I don't know, but at least I can relax it won't break at some point.
Squier Strat SE