Hey all,

I was looking into the Taylor T5Z as an acoustic-electric hybrid guitar to change my sound on my live rig. I am looking to have a guitar that can have an ABY Splitter connection, where I can run an acoustic signal into a PA while simultaneously running the electric signal through a dirty amp. Is it possible to do this kind of combination with the Taylor T5? 

Thanks for the help! And if you guys have any other suggestions on guitars that would be cool, but i would definitely like to know if anyone has experience on this guitar model too because I like the sound.

*Update - Just realized this was posted in the wrong section (but I can't delete). Sorry - could someone help me move this to electric guitar?
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
Last edited by AXmichigan at May 12, 2017,
Agreed, I think you may get more responses in Electric Guitar.

Thread was moved to forum: Electric Guitar
My God, it's full of stars!
the t5 is the best at what it does.

there are a number of guitars with piezo and stereo output options tho..

michael kelly, godin, and kiesel make a couple.

but i think the t5 sounds the best for the price.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Taylor states on their site that both acoustic and electric amps can be used with an A/B box.  But damn that's a lot of money for a fancy guitar,  For less you could buy a Godin XTSA along with a Roland GR-55 guitar synth,  For about the same price you could step it up to the LGXT,   This way you could run the Piezo, Mags and Synth tones out to 3 different amps,  Although looks a bit strange with 3 cords plugged in to the guitar but all switching, volume and tone controls are on the guitar,  I run my Piezo to a bass amp the Mags to a tube amp from hell and the Synth to a PA,   Although be warned screwing around with guitar synths can be habit forming, 
I'll reinforce the statement that the T5 is a fantastic instrument
My God, it's full of stars!
I have a T5. Unfortunately, you can't route the acoustic sounds and the electric sounds to different places; there's only one 1/4" jack output. I haven't looked at the T5Z all that much in person, but near as I can tell the major differences are the smaller body size and the fretboard (12" radius, jumbo frets on the Z, medium/jumbo and 15" on the T5). I personally wouldn't buy the T5Z -- the T5 has just enough acoustic sound unplugged that I can use it in an apartment or a small room and not bother neighbors. The T5Z is, for me, too quiet. I don't think the output jack is different, is it? 

Another guitar that works similar to the T5 is the Trussart Steelphonic. It has two minihumbuckers and a bridge "candy box" that includes a piezo transducer (this produces something very akin to a resonator sound; there are videos that will give you the idea). One of these, in Rust and Cream Snakeskin finish, has been on my shortlist for a while now. Seriously badass guitar. 

There ARE guitars that have stereo output from a piezo bridge OR you can have your favorite electric modified to include a Graphtech Ghost bridge/saddles and preamp with a stereo output. 
Last edited by dspellman at May 13, 2017,
Budget?

As stated, there are a lot of companies that make or made guitars with piezos to vsupplement their standard pickups, Almost anything Godin makes designated "SA" (Synth Access) will, as I recall, as may some of their others.. Many Parkers. Fret-King's Elise GG. The Moog Paul Vo, perhaps.

It's a bit rarer for them to have multiple output jacks, instead opting to have the player select either the piezo or the other pickups, or- in some- blend them together. Again, I think the SA designated Godins are among them,

Well up the price scale are makers like Wes Lambe and others who routinely make multiple output guitars, basses, and hybrids.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I don't know how well the piezo side stacks up but I think the Italia Mondial has separate outputs for humbuckers and piezos.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at May 14, 2017,
Naturally, I *would* forget to mention Variax. But there's a special circumstance that will allow you to run the humbuckers of a JTV through a completely different rig than the piezo modeling. And that's if you're working with one of the Pod or Helix modelers that support the linking of the Variax guitar with a VDI cable. In this case, both the humbuckers and the piezo modeling are sent over the VDI cable and can be split in the Helix (for example) into two separate rigs internally, with completely different cabs/amps/FX routing applied to each. At that point they can be brought back together so that both go out through, for example, a PA system, or the two channels can be run out separately. There is one caveat, of course, and that's that alternate tunings done on the Variax side of things are going to sound a little weird coupled with standard tuning (or whatever you have set) coming from the magnetics <G>. 
I can only imagine!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I don't know how easy it is to get at the guts of a T5 but if you can get inside a T5 then it would be possible to disconnect the magnetic pickup from the taylor preamp and wire in a stereo jack.  That would let you run to two different amps.  That would, however, eliminate your ability to play both electric and acoustic at the same time through the same amp unless you also use another preamp with mixing capabilities.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by dspellman
There is one caveat, of course, and that's that alternate tunings done on the Variax side of things are going to sound a little weird coupled with standard tuning (or whatever you have set) coming from the magnetics <G>. 
Finally something that really tempts me to get a Variax
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by dspellman
There is one caveat, of course, and that's that alternate tunings done on the Variax side of things are going to sound a little weird coupled with standard tuning (or whatever you have set) coming from the magnetics <G>. 

I was actually looking at the Variax before I fell upon the Godin GR combination, at which point it became a no brainer, Although hit my wallet a bit harder.  The alt tunings done through the GR like the Variax only effect the PCM sounds and not the Mags or Piezo, But I've discovered quite a few PCM sounds through the GR that work very well in alt tunings, Beauty of the GR is not everything has to sound like a guitar,  and Godin made it easy to send out to different amps, Provided you don't mind having 3 cables plugged into your guitar
https://www.upfrontguitars.com/images/D/lgx-jack-detail-01.jpg
Quote by nastytroll
I was actually looking at the Variax before I fell upon the Godin GR combination, at which point it became a no brainer, Although hit my wallet a bit harder.  The alt tunings done through the GR like the Variax only effect the PCM sounds and not the Mags or Piezo, But I've discovered quite a few PCM sounds through the GR that work very well in alt tunings, Beauty of the GR is not everything has to sound like a guitar,  and Godin made it easy to send out to different amps, Provided you don't mind having 3 cables plugged into your guitar
https://www.upfrontguitars.com/images/D/lgx-jack-detail-01.jpg

I have a couple of guitars with that setup -- one a thick hollowbody PRS. Carvins offer that as well (see their MIDI capable guitars). 
The MIDI controller that used with them for a long time was the Axon 100. It just got to be a bit much keeping track of what went where setting up for a gig. The Variax into a Helix with a VDI cable is really a simple setup (one cable, one piece of electronics) and besides, I have keyboards for all that other stuff. 
dspellman 
Same applies to the GR, just the GR peddle a guitar, 3 cords and which ever amps I'm using,  No keyboards to haul around,  The Axon is kind of old, are they even still in business?  Thought Roland ran them out of town 
Quote by nastytroll
dspellman
Same applies to the GR, just the GR peddle a guitar, 3 cords and which ever amps I'm using,  No keyboards to haul around,  The Axon is kind of old, are they even still in business?  Thought Roland ran them out of town 

Could've done; I never paid attention. And yeah, they're old. I have a couple of them in storage, still. 

Quote by dspellman
Could've done; I never paid attention. And yeah, they're old. I have a couple of them in storage, still. 

Should have sold them while the getting was good,  Worth pennies on the dollar these days, 
Quote by nastytroll
Should have sold them while the getting was good,  Worth pennies on the dollar these days, 

Meh -- You'd be amazed what I didn't pay for them. 
I think there are a couple on eBay now for around $250. 
Last edited by dspellman at May 15, 2017,