Hey everybody, I just bought a Fender Blacktop Telecaster and as a metal player the pickups are just not good enough for me.
I'm looking for something that's gonna give me a good metal sound but can allow me to experiment and enjoy playing and jamming other styles like jazz and blues.
Can you please recommend something?
When it comes to metal mostly heavy, thrash and groove.
Going from stuff like Accept to Megadeth/Metallica/Municipal waste and all the way to Pantera/Lamb of God and maybe the heaviest is Gojira.
Running through a Yamaha THR10X

I would go old school and put a super distortion in the bridge and pair it with some sort of Alnico 5 PAF style pickup.   BKP's Black dog would be a great choice but if that's too expensive a Seymour Duncan SH1 would be good too. 
Not taking any online orders.
The pickups have far less to do with metal sound than the amp.
Have to agree with  monwobobbo , although the Yamaha THR10X is a neat little bedroom practice amp it really doesn't have the balls for Metal,  Many make the mistake of thinking the guitar and its pickups make the sound, when in reality its the amp that has the final say in the matter, 
Get a Laney Ironheart amp.  If you still think you need PUs, get these:
http://www.dimarzio.com/player/john-5
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at May 13, 2017,
Obviously, my living situation doesn't really allow me to get something with enough metal balls but we cal all agree the stock pu's on a Telecaster are not something that helps with my desired tone.
Quote by Dude47
Obviously, my living situation doesn't really allow me to get something with enough metal balls but we cal all agree the stock pu's on a Telecaster are not something that helps with my desired tone.

No, seriously, the amp does the vast, vast majority of the heavy lifting when it comes to metal tones. A great high gain amp or multi effects unit will make almost any guitar get a usable metal tone.

There are lots of headphone amps you can get that'll get you way better results than any pickup ever could. Have a look at the Atomic Amplifire. As a multi-effects unit, it cannot be beaten for the price, and it uses the same sort of amp modelling architecture as the Fractal Axe FX units that cost about 4x as much. It is totally worth saving enough money to upgrade to one of those instead of getting new pickups.

Putting new pickups in a guitar to help a mediocre amp sound better is like putting $2000 rims on a yugo.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
If you want versatility I wouldn't change your pickups.. More gain in your pickups will do the opposite. My tele can accomplish metal tones using the bridge pickup and by layering some distortion/overdrive pedals on it.
1) For tonal flexibility, amp matters a bunch more than pickups. Amps are the ice cream in your guitar tone sundae; the pickups, the cherry on top.

2) that said, a mix of pickups- one in the bridge for metal, with neck for the other stuff- could also be key.

So...what's your current amp? What's your current gear budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
The reason I'm looking at pickups is simply because the passive EMG's on the Cort vx-2v I also own sound way better distorted than the Tele
Dude47

You may find that a few adjustments on your amp will fix that. Not really an amp I'd use to judge pickups