Title says it all... I was tired of having to replace the batteries in my distortion pedal every two days, so I bought a power supply at a local music store. Works perfectly, except for its fatal flaw: it adds buzzing. I mean, lots and lots of buzzing. Like, "somebody is using a hairdryer next door"-buzzing. I tried plugging the power source into the same multi-outlet as the amp, then into another multi-one from which I feed my computer, and into the outlet from the wall with nothing else plugged in - no success.

I was thinking of perhaps shielding the pedal some way, like they do it with the electronics cavity in guitars, but I have no idea how to achieve this. Does anybody have any idea how to fix this, preferably without spending extra money? I'm so broke, I can't even afford to replace the high e string I snapped three weeks ago.

The only other solution would be returning the power adaptor, but that way I would have no option but to use up all batteries I still have and then stop playing for an indefinite time.
The problem is likely a combination of dirty voltage from your wall outlet and the lack of power isolation, lending itself to the creation of ground loops.

I would suggest reading this. http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner/dirty-power
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Well, the house is wired completely stupid, like, the toilet is wired into the same breaker box as the living room, and the upstairs bedroom wiring connects to the downstairs kitchen, so if it's the house wiring, I'm screwed. And if I need an extra device to filter the noise, I'm fucked as well. At least after a quick search, I only found power conditioners in rack format, starting from 50 bucks -- goodbye, guitar, because what am I supposed to play without distortion and with only 5 strings.
What power adapter did you get? Are you only powering your distortion with it or multiple pedals? What other pedals are in your complete chain? Have you made sure it's not the guitar cables acting up?

Also, there's no reason that you should be going through a battery that quick. Drive pedals use very small amounts of electricity and should last you at least a couple weeks on average. Unplug your guitar cable from it when you're not using it, otherwise the battery will keep getting drained.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Can you take your rig round to a friends house.  if the noise doesn't happen there then it's your house wiring.  If it happens there as well then the adaptor is probably faulty.  I think that's probably what it is, although it could also be an earth fault with your amp, allowing the sound to manifest itself.  Try is somewhere else and at least you might be able to rule out your house wiring
Quote by evening_crow
What power adapter did you get? Are you only powering your distortion with it or multiple pedals? What other pedals are in your complete chain? Have you made sure it's not the guitar cables acting up?

Also, there's no reason that you should be going through a battery that quick. Drive pedals use very small amounts of electricity and should last you at least a couple weeks on average. Unplug your guitar cable from it when you're not using it, otherwise the battery will keep getting drained. 

Only powering the distortion, and guitar -> dist. -> amp IS the entire signal chain. The problem appears not when I use the pedal with batteries, and using other cables hasn't changed a thing. The power adaptor says "AC Adaptor - input: AC 230V 50Hz 150 mA - Output: DC 9V 1.66A".

I do unplug the cables when I don't use the pedal, but with 3-5 hours jamming a day, the batteries are usually empty after 3 to 4 days. Dunno if that's normal.

Screaming Dave I'll try using the pedal somewhere else, thanks for the tip.

Also, as a temporary fix, I bought a 9v rechargeable accumulator, I'll have to see how long it takes to drain and recharge it to see whether that's a permanent solution, perhaps buy a 2nd for the time during charging if I can't get the power adaptor to work.
Probably just a crappy unregulated supply with lots of 50hz ripple on the output.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I would suggest reading this. http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner/dirty-power

I haven't checked the link, but based on the PGS "information" "articles" I have read, I wouldn't suggest that anyone ever read anything that they write which claims to be informative.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?