This might be a weird question, but everyone knows that wah wah wah wah sound, it sounds like this

but WITHOUT using pedals and such

Does anyone know a good chord progression that sounds similar to that? I cant seem to figure it out
You mean like this?

Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Last edited by PlusPaul at May 15, 2017,
Chord progression? There is no chord progression, just single notes - F E Eb D.

A similar chromatic line can be found in many songs, though. What PlusPaul posted is a good example. At 1:06 the chords are Eb D Db Cm. The same chords can also be heard in the chorus of "Seek and Destroy" (G5 F#5 F5 E5), and in Santana's "Waiting" (Bb A Ab Gm).

(1:45-2:00)

In this case we would be talking about a (b)III-II-bII-i progression in a minor key.

Another good example would be the "line cliche".

Ebm Ebmmaj7 Ebm7 Ebm6

Same thing a half step higher (Em Emmaj7 Em7 Em6)...

So basically it's just the tonic chord + a chromatically descending line played over it. For example if you want to play it over Em, you would play E D# D C#.

And there are countless other songs that use a similar descending chromatic line. Stairway to Heaven is an obvious example. Actually, pretty recently they got sued because of the "line cliche" in the intro of Stairway, but nothing happened because it's such a common idea found in so many songs. Another example with a bit different chords that comes to my mind would be Hotel California (Bm F#7 A E7 G D Em F#7). But it's still based on the chromatically descending line (B A# A G# G F#).

This song takes the "line cliche" even further... (The chords are F Fmaj7 F7 Bb Bbm6 F G/F Gm/F F, and the chromatic line behind the chords is F E Eb D Db C B Bb A.)

None of this will have the same effect or sound anything like the "wah wah" sound effect, though. But I'm not exactly sure what you are even looking for.

If you want the "wah wah" sound effect without using a wah pedal, just play a chromatically descending line and maybe use vibrato on the last note.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I think it's just a mute on the example, so tonal change.
I was able to get a close approximation by using a clean reverby sound.
Roll Guitar tone right off, hammer note, roll tone to full treble.
Repeat for next chromatic note.
Last note, add vibrato and rotate tone rhythmically. I use the side of my  little finger.
I would normally just use a wah.
Quote by ccch74
This might be a weird question, but everyone knows that wah wah wah wah sound, it sounds like this

but WITHOUT using pedals and such

Does anyone know a good chord progression that sounds similar to that? I cant seem to figure it out

In answer to the first question: Without a wah-wah, you'd need to manipulate the tone control to get that sound on each note.

And it's not a chord progression, it's just a series of descending notes F-E-Eb-D as MM said.(frets 13-12-11-10 on top E).

As others have suggested, such a line could be featured in many different kinds of chord progression, or just as a "line cliche" over a single chord.  You probably know his one: 

(A-G#-G-F# under an Am chord, essentially.)

It would be more exaggerated - and maybe more like the effect you're after- to use a series of descending diminished chords, similar to the common blues turnaround:
-10--9---8---7--
-12--11--10--9--
-13--12--11--9--
----------------
----------------
----------------
That's 3 diminished chords ending on an E major triad (to make a conclusion).
Last edited by jonriley64 at May 16, 2017,
I'm not sure if anyone has figured out what you are wanting...

- four chromatic descending notes WITHOUT the effect in the video
- a progression that has a similar root moment

May you are wanting to get the "same sound" as in the video, but without the effect sound, using guitar chords?
If so, try this...

So, in the key of A

[x][x][7][9][8][9]  --  A7

[x][x][7][8][7][8]  --  Adim7

[x][x][6][7][6][7]  --  a lot of names for what this might be

[x][x][5][6][5][5]  --  A7

Try it playing the open A string under each chord, too.
Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.
Quote by PlusPaul
I'm not sure if anyone has figured out what you are wanting...

- four chromatic descending notes WITHOUT the effect in the video
- a progression that has a similar root moment

May you are wanting to get the "same sound" as in the video, but without the effect sound, using guitar chords?

See bottom of post #5.  Great minds...