I've been using what I would consider a standard pick, medium flexibility triangle shape rounded tip.
But I have a tendency to roll the pick a bit so when picking quickly I'm attacking at an angle.

I decided to try something else.

Gravity Picks: A $5 pick shaped and polished by "picksmiths", I like this one it's smooth and fast has a hole in the middle to keep it form popping out of my fingers, but if you aren't precise with your strumming you will get very inconsistent dynamics, it's easy to pick loud with this one.
I guess with a $5 price tag for a single pick you need to invent terms like "picksmith".

TUSQ: 1 mm thick man made ivory, I think these are my favorite so far, they pick easy, are large easy to grasp even when sweaty, but I have to angle the pick for quick picking again.

Jim Dunlop Primetone: OK.... 3mm is too thick, these have an angled edge so the picking bit is easy, no angling required, but they were so thick they are ungainly, maybe in a 1 mm they would be better.
I don't know why I bought a 3mm thick pick.

Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz Pick: I like them, but I have the same issue with dynamics and they are small is size, nice point fast pick just hard as nails and so strumming is inconsistent dynamically.

Herco Thumbpick: Why not right? Well I thought hybrid picking might be easier with these, maybe they take some getting used to, but I don't the pick wrapped around my thumb.

The over all winner is the TUSQ pick, which is pretty much a standard guitar pick but larger, a close 2nd is the Gravity pick which I suppose if I practice with it I can get rid of the inconsistent dynamics.
You picked the wrong gravity. Have to get the unbuffed ones to get the full effect of the acrylic.

I don't think the smooth ones are very good.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
You picked the wrong gravity. Have to get the unbuffed ones to get the full effect of the acrylic.

I don't think the smooth ones are very good.

That's interesting hook me up with a link to the unbuffed ones.
Quote by BeefDrapes
You can order them from the custom part or they have a Chapman signature pick.

I see, what's the point of it being unfinished, what does that do for you? Seems like it would create unwanted string noise.
Edit: Polished Vs. Master Finish

The bevels on each pick are shaped on a grinding wheel which creates rough bevels. Those bevels are then polished or left unpolished (which we call ‘Master Finish&rsquo. The Polished version glides across the strings with very little effort. The Master Finish (unpolished) version is a bit brighter and creates a different release off the string. It allows you to ‘dig in’ a bit more. It is just a personal preference.

Gliding across the strings is exactly what I like about it.
Last edited by 33db at May 16, 2017,
they say that but it really doesn't. or at least it doesn't glide properly. the unburied ones are actually much faster. the thing is you don't really use the bevels but the unfitted bevels have a much sharper point at the tip which is what you are supposed to used to hit the strings.

It's hard to see but the unbuffeds have a much better tip

Last edited by AcousticMirror at May 16, 2017,
Quote by AcousticMirror
they say that but it really doesn't. or at least it doesn't glide properly. the unburied ones are actually much faster. the thing is you don't really use the bevels but the unfitted bevels have a much sharper point at the tip which is what you are supposed to used to hit the strings.

They have quite a selection, the pick I have is not the one pictured just the first one that came up in an image search.
What I have is more like the jazz pick, pretty sharp, moves across strings easily which is what I was trying to do with the older style pick I had by turning it to an angle so there was less resistance.

The only issue for me with the Gravity pick is consistency in dynamics, which is related to my sloppy playing, not the pick.
personal preference really but if you get a chance try the unbuffed ones. i thought the v-picks were pretty average until i tried the unbuffed.
I'm using the Gravity Razer 2 exactly as pictured, above. I have both the buffed and unbuffed versions (the buffed versions are a different color and don't have Chapper's sig on them). 
I'm getting to like the gravity pick, it's super easy to pick.
Quote by 33db
I'm getting to like the gravity pick, it's super easy to pick.

I've tried tons of more expensive picks as well and i think acrylic is still by far the best pick material.

dunlop will probably get around to making something like it in like 30 years.
Quote by AcousticMirror
I've tried tons of more expensive picks as well and i think acrylic is still by far the best pick material.

dunlop will probably get around to making something like it in like 30 years.

Dunlops Primetone (see above) is a thermoplastic pick, similar to acrylic, essentially from my perspective having used both they feel similar.
OK I'm sold on the Gravity acrylic pick, and I discovered that it is 3mm and so I am sold on thick picks now.

I was a thin medium flex pick sort of guy but thick picks are where it's at.