Hi guys,

I have an old Strat copy, a Marshall Rocket Special to be precise. It has a HSS configuration, the single coils are nothing to die for, but the humbucker sounds great and its output is quite hot. However, I need more power on the neck, so I want to put a Tonerider Humbucker there. I have heard the Alnico II classics, Rocksong and Generator (all of this on YouTube) and I liked them all, so I don't know which one to pick. I'm gonna keep one single in the middle and split the neck humbucker as well for strumming and low output low gain situations. I like switching between neck and bridge pickups while soloing in order to bring out the highs or lows depending on where I'm fretting the notes; also, I like having a harmonically rich tone on the bridge and more sustain on the neck side. Since I switch between neck and bridge while soloing, I need the output of both humbuckers to be balanced; otherwise, one will overpower the other; for lower volume and lower gain I have the single and split neck.

I like the sound of the neck single for low output mid gain parts or riffs, so the split neck should handle that fine. Currently, I have the middle single coil as low as the pickguard for low output low gain playing or chords and it works ok. I play mostly rock and progressive rock; i.e. Deep Purple, Queen, Steve Morse, Guns n Roses, Van Halen, AC/DC, Metallica; I try to play Steve Vai or John Petrucci, and I also want to write some of my own material, but the pickup configuration and output needs remain as I explained on the first paragraph. Which pick would you recommend for the neck? Should I replace my stock humbucker as well in order to have two brand new (paired) pickups? Do I need to match magnets? (I mean, pick either Alnico II or Alnico V for both neck and bridge).

Cheers,
Walter

Here are the links of the products:
Alnico II classics
Rocksong
Generator

P.S. If you live in Zürich and want to get together and jam, send me a PM.
i haven't tried any toneriders so this is just general advice.

when you say "balanced", do you mean volume or distortion? i've never had much of a problem with low output neck pickups paired with hotter bridge pickups in terms of volume- the neck one is still usually a little louder. but the distortion/compression difference is noticeable- at the same amp settings the bridge pickup will be noticeably more saturated while the neck will be noticeably more open-sounding and less distorted.

i think you'd need to figure out exactly how hot the bridge pickup is... can you take a reading with a multimeter?

(i haven't done this myself so if you ask me how to do it i'll be sending you to youtube )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
when you say "balanced", do you mean volume or distortion?

I want both, similar volume and similar gain. But I guess more important would be volume to me, because if I'm soloing I want the volume to be even. The change in gain and the change in tone would be a product of the pickup it self and its position. But I will choose this based on the notes that I'm playing, meaning high- or low-pitched.

Quote by Dave_Mc
can you take a reading with a multimeter?

I have the pickup on my table as we speak and it has 16k of DCR.

The tonerider DCR specs are as follows:

Alnico II Classics
Neck 8k
Bridge 8K

Rocksong
Neck 8k
Bridge 12K

Generator
Neck 8k
Bridge 16K

So my current humbucker, is closer to the generator in "hotness". I'm thinking on going for the ACII classics for the neck as I believe this will give me more sustain and the thick sound the I want, a bit like Slash if possible.

What do you think?
^ Maybe. I mean, the resistances seem to be the same there for each of the neck versions, so assuming they use the same wire, that means they're all similar in terms of heat (the alnico 5 generator presumably being a little hotter because of the stronger magnet)... and that sort of backs up what i was saying above, which is that you don't really need a super-hot neck pickup to balance, unless you know that that's what you want. It's really up to you... if you have your heart set on a better balance in terms of compression/distortion, then none of those might be the best call. But if you're ok with just the volume balancing, then any of them really should work. Might be worth contacting tonerider to see what they say, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?