I am thinking of upgrading my Vintage Modified Strat up with the Eric Clapton Mid Boost circuit. I really think I would love that thing. I'm all about versatility.

My problem is that I believe that it would have too much noise. I've seen the Anderton's video where they made custom guitars, and a guy at Seymour Duncan suggested using the Classic Stack Set. From what I understand, they have the best reviews and sound the most like vintage single coils out of the noiseless pickups (if someone knew a better one, that would be nice ). My only problem with that is that I think it would be too dark. The Vintage Modified Strat has a basswood body, a maple neck, and a rosewood fingerboard.

Would this maybe sound too dark and muddy? Or would it be fine? Or would the other tone knob be able to give the missing trebble back?

Any thoughts would be helpful.
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

I live for my girlfriend. <3
You might contact Lace about their noiseless singlecoils. They also make quite good ones, and wouldn't be as pricey as some custom winds I might suggest. As I recall, Lace used to supply Fender with pickups, and EC himself used them for quite some time.

When he stopped, it is supposedly because Fender switched to a Bill Lawrence-designed pickup. BL's name is still tied to a company selling pickups he designed, but he's no longer with them. He & his family are selling those designs under the Wilde company name. (Both worthy of consideration.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
You might contact Lace about their noiseless singlecoils. They also make quite good ones, and wouldn't be as pricey as some custom winds I might suggest. As I recall, Lace used to supply Fender with pickups, and EC himself used them for quite some time.

When he stopped, it is supposedly because Fender switched to a Bill Lawrence-designed pickup. BL's name is still tied to a company selling pickups he designed, but he's no longer with them. He & his family are selling those designs under the Wilde company name. (Both worthy of consideration.)

So would the Lace pickups be brighter and closer to actual single coils?

Edit: I looked it up and it looks like the Lace Sensors aren't as quiet…

Also, does anyone have experience with Zexcoil? Are they good? I totally forgot about them. From the reviews I've seen and the sound samples I've heard, Zexcoil sounds like the most accurate out of all the noiseless pickups.
Just a teenage girl who loves playing guitar way too much, if that's even possible.

Last edited by gogiregion at May 17, 2017,
As I recall, Lace's vintage-voiced noiseless singecoils are the Holy Grails, not the Sensors.

Their Alumitones sound great and are absolutely silent, but they're probably not voiced the way you'd like.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

i really didn't like the classic stack at all when i tried it

caveats, though:

- i only tried it in a shop, and this was years ago
- i tried it in a jackson superstrat with a floyd, it may sound better in a strat
- i can't remember what amp etc. i was using so that may have been the problem

EDIT: i haven't tried very many but the dimarzio virtual vintages are pretty nice. of course, the ones i've tried have been mostly replaced by newer models, so this is a pointless piece of information, as usual
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 17, 2017,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
As I recall, Lace's vintage-voiced noiseless singecoils are the Holy Grails, not the Sensors.

Their Alumitones sound great and are absolutely silent, but they're probably not voiced the way you'd like.

Oops. I forgot. Lace is the brand, Sensor is a model.

Anyways. I think I'll go with Zexcoil. I could talk with the guy on the phone, as I've heard he is really nice and helps people find the correct model for them. They seem to be really good from the sound samples and reviews I've seen.

If anyone has tried using Zexcoils and the EC Mid Boost together, that would be nice to know if it's good for that.

Most pickup winders are good about that kind of thing.

Hope the Zexcoils work, though. I don't know the brand, so it would be cool to get a review of them once you get yours installed!,

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Most pickup winders are good about that kind of thing.

Hope the Zexcoils work, though. I don't know the brand, so it would be cool to get a review of them once you get yours installed!,

That was my plan. I'll do a review of the Zexcoils and the EC mid boost in one thread (like start on the Zexcoils and then talk about the EC mid boost, and talk about that combination).

Edit: Corrected capitalization

Quote by gogiregion
I am thinking of upgrading my Vintage Modified Strat up with the Eric Clapton Mid Boost circuit. I really think I would love that thing. I'm all about versatility.

My problem is that I believe that it would have too much noise. I've seen the Anderton's video where they made custom guitars, and a guy at Seymour Duncan suggested using the Classic Stack Set. From what I understand, they have the best reviews and sound the most like vintage single coils out of the noiseless pickups (if someone knew a better one, that would be nice ). My only problem with that is that I think it would be too dark. The Vintage Modified Strat has a basswood body, a maple neck, and a rosewood fingerboard.

Would this maybe sound too dark and muddy? Or would it be fine? Or would the other tone knob be able to give the missing trebble back?

Too much noise for what? Are you in a tribute band that has to precisely replicate some other band's sound? And what do you mean by "too dark"? Too dark for what? If you're playing old-school country music, and darkness is too much. If you're playing Scandinavian doom metal, pitch black isn't dark enough. 

There is no such thing as loving playing guitar way too much. It isn't possible. But, most people who play guitar use the guitar to play MUSIC, as in SPECIFIC SONGS. What kind of songs do you play? More importantly, what kind of music does the band you're in play? Your gear should produce tone that works well with the other musicians in your band. That doesn't mean you shouldn't like your tone when you play alone while practicing. But when you're trying to determine the best gear configuration, you should determine what it is you'll be playing. 

So, what kind of music are you looking to play?  
Quote by gerdner
Too much noise for what? Are you in a tribute band that has to precisely replicate some other band's sound? And what do you mean by "too dark"? Too dark for what? If you're playing old-school country music, and darkness is too much. If you're playing Scandinavian doom metal, pitch black isn't dark enough. 

There is no such thing as loving playing guitar way too much. It isn't possible. But, most people who play guitar use the guitar to play MUSIC, as in SPECIFIC SONGS. What kind of songs do you play? More importantly, what kind of music does the band you're in play? Your gear should produce tone that works well with the other musicians in your band. That doesn't mean you shouldn't like your tone when you play alone while practicing. But when you're trying to determine the best gear configuration, you should determine what it is you'll be playing. 

So, what kind of music are you looking to play?  

By too much noise I meant static. The 60 cycle hum.

I really like blues-rock. I'm thinking of maybe starting a blues-rock band at some point (I'm not currently in a band). I would want it to be able to hit those classic strat tones. I also want it to be able to achieve those thick Led-Zep or Cream type sounds. Probably also Beatles type sounds, but the classic strat sounds would work with the Vox Night Train (I like the classic strat through Vox Night Train bright channel, from sound samples I've heard).

I think I've decided already decided on what I'm going to get though. I talked to the Zexcoil maker guy, and he helped me decide on what to get.

Good luck!

Quote by gogiregion

There is nothing muddy at all about the Classic Strat Stacks. They have great, quacky Strat sound, but they are dead quiet. They are my favorite Strat pickups, actually. 
Dave @ Seymour Duncan