Hey everyone! 

I recently got me a pair of used EMG 60/81s and as I got some spare time today I figured I'd would be fun to put them in one of my SGs. I decided to try the pickups one by one first to see that they both worked. I followed this wiring diagram.

However, when all the soldering was done and I hooked it up to my amp it produced a lot of noise. I can hear the guitar when I strum the strings and when I touch the volume pot it goes away, so I figured it must be a grounding issue. Another strange thing about it is that the volume controller doesn't work as I can hear the guitar even if i turn it down completely, but I guess that can be caused by grounding issues? Here is an image showing how it looks right now.

I followed the diagram and even tried to resolder some of the cables, but the noise won't go away unless I touch the volume pot. All the cables, battery holder and the battery is brand new so they should not be the issue. I bought everything else from a local guitar shop and they told me that the pickups had been tested before they sold them, so I guess they shouldn't be the problem either.

Can someone here figure out what might cause the problem?

Thanks!
Last edited by bippedipp at May 17, 2017,
It's not particularly easy to see what's going on on the volume pot because it's all a bit over-exposed, but it does look rather like you've soldered the braided sheath wire to the back of the pot with the signal wire still inside it. If that's the case then I wouldn't be at all surprised if you've melted through the inner insulation and created a short between the earth and live. It's also hard to see if the red wire attached to the pot is making contact with the other tag (the one that should be grounded) and not just the middle one. There's also no earth to the bridge - granted there isn't one in the diagram either.
I don't seen a ground wire for the bridge in your photo.  Did you remember to ground the bridge?
Not taking any online orders.
Thanks for your suggestions! I unsoldered the wire on the back of the pot and checked it and it was intact, I even rewired it after splitting the cable and the braid from eachother but that didn't help. The red wire isn't touching anything else either. EMGs aren't supposed to be earthed to the bridge if I remember correctly, so that wouldn't be the problem either.

I'll post better images of the wiring when I come back from work!
Alright I solved it.

Apparently the wiring diagram I followed was incorrect or based on a different output jack than the one that I have in my SG. I switched positions on the two outer cables on the output jack and the noise is now gone. Here is a link to the official wiring diagram if someone else should need it.
Quote by bippedipp
Alright I solved it.

Apparently the wiring diagram I followed was incorrect or based on a different output jack than the one that I have in my SG. I switched positions on the two outer cables on the output jack and the noise is now gone. Here is a link to the official wiring diagram if someone else should need it.
In fairness to the original diagram, it is correct: the battery goes to the ring and the hot goes to the tip, as stated. The EMG diagram doesn't give you that information, they just happen to have drawn a jack socket in the same tag orientation as yours (opposite to the other diagram).

Still, glad you got it sorted.

PS: I did see an EMG engineer post on one of their forum threads that a bridge earth wasn't necessary but wouldn't hurt either.