In 1968,  Tammy Wynette, and a couple of her friends, created "Stand by Your Man". It took about 15 minutes to write.  

"Where have all the Flowers" by Peter Paul and Mary also took no time to write.

Does any one know what song is accredited for taking the longest time to write? It could be any song from national anthems to Saturday morning kids cartoon. 
100% this guy, brushy spent over 35 years arranging the extremely delicate vocal performance and incredible guitar on his song 'chicken in the corn'

"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Pretty sure it's impossible to quantify, unless you literally shut yourself in a room and timed yourself while writing a song.

Songs that take the longest total composition time, whilst impossible to measure, I would guess would be classical or orchestral music.
Chinese Democracy
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The new Tool album is going to be a reunion album at this point

And I think this album and Lateralus both took like 5 years to write and record

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

If came down to one song, I'd probably assume bohemian raphsody took a while to write, because it's such a a diverse song in style.

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Chinese Democracy

The album is probably a contender for longest work in progress.

I remember reading Axl had started writing November Rain when he was just starting out & obviously didn't release it till 1991/2(?) so that's got to be in the running as longest time spent on a single song.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
It took 2017 years for whatever song got written in the past 24 hours so whatever that is.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Quote by Cardbored
It took 2017 years for whatever song got written in the past 24 hours so whatever that is.

because, as we all know, the world was created at year 0
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by k.lainad
If came down to one song, I'd probably assume bohemian raphsody took a while to write, because it's such a a diverse song in style.

I remember seeing in a Queen document that it took a long time to record because Freddy would keep coming to the studio with another Galileo

Using the 24-track technology available at the time, the "opera" section took about three weeks to finish.[14] Producer Roy Thomas Baker said "Every time Freddie came up with another 'Galileo', I would add another piece of tape to the reel."[4] Baker recalls that they kept wearing out the tape, which meant having to do transfers.[14]
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Last edited by ElMaco at May 17, 2017,
Quote by Trowzaa
because, as we all know, the world was created at year 0

Ya ya it's billions of years old or whatever but it's close enough
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Stairway 2 Heaven must have taken a long time 2 write
I have a song where I wrote the music and chorus some 20 years ago, but have never come up wuth verses I liked, does that count?
Quote by whoomit
Stairway 2 Heaven must have taken a long time 2 write

But only seconds to steal.
weezer still owes us songs from the black hole
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
That one song about my dick lmao
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
andyjohnston 
Crazy! I was playing this song today, made up some extra lyrics. Then I touched them up, and after 20 years, the song is done!
Quote by Joshua Garcia
That one song about my dick lmao

yeah its just "really small" on a loop for 3 hours
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
yeah its just "really small" on a loop for 3 hours
What'd it take you, 2 whole days to think of that one?

Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line