Hey everyone,  I'm currently in the market for a Les Paul and I am having a hard time deciding between the Epiphone LP Custom Pro (Alpine White) and the Gibson 50's Tribute T.  I am an intermediate level player and this will probably be the only guitar I buy for another 5-10 years.  None of the local stores in my area carry the Gibson so I am unable to test it out so I need your help!  I play mostly clean/crunch at church and play heavier guns n' roses like tones at home and when gigging.  The following are links to the models I'm looking at and the prices as prices are kind of all over the place here in Canada:

Gibson: https://www.long-mcquade.com/16233/Guitars/Electric_Guitars/Gibson/2016_Les_Paul_Studio_50s_Tribute_Humbucker_-_Satin_Vintage_Sunburst.htm

Epi:  https://www.long-mcquade.com/16868/Guitars/Electric-Guitars/Epiphone/LP-Custom-Pro---Alpine-White-with-Gold-Hardware.htm

Thanks for any thoughts!
Are those your only two options?

If I were you I would look into the Epiphone LP Tribute. You get USA hardware, better build quality etc... right out of the gate. Personally I'd take one over a lower end Gibson. Especially if I was planning on having it for a while. 
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
H4T3BR33D3R $900 is my max budget and the tributes are 970 and I've heard mixed reviews on the 57 humbuckers on the epi vs. the 490r and 498t buckers on the gibson.  I wouldn't mind putting out the extra $70 if the tribute is actually a much improved model just haven't heard a whole lot about them.
Last edited by clasmith at May 18, 2017,
I find that hard to believe considering most of the 498t/490r sets got replaced in the Gibson USA line with '57s (eventually burstbuckers) and the '57s are pretty widely praised, even here. I'm curious, have you tried a set of '57 Classics or tried a tribute for the matter? 

Save 70 bucks or buy a Tribute used. 

The Tribute is the best LP Epiphone makes that isn't an MIJ Elitist. IMO they're much better than a regular run of the mill Epi LPC and a low end Gibson.  
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at May 18, 2017,
H4T3BR33D3R My local shop didn't have anything in stock with the 57s so I was unfortunately unable to test them out.  The downside to living in a rural community.
Well I'll tell you right now, this is the first time I've heard of anybody saying the '57 classics were junkier than a set of 498/490s
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Both will do what you want them to.  The Gibson will probably hold it's value better but the epi is going to be more flexible.  I'd probably go with the Gibson but not because I think it's a better guitar.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
Both will do what you want them to.  The Gibson will probably hold it's value better but the epi is going to be more flexible.  I'd probably go with the Gibson but not because I think it's a better guitar.

From my experience, low end Gibsons like that don't hold much value at all. Those guitars in canada routinely go for like 500-650 used and that's for a guitar you'd be paying over a grand for. 

The Epiphone Tributes with a case are still commanding upwards of 750-800 bucks used here. 

I agree with the rest of your points though. Both will do what you want. 
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I just want to point out that pickups are easily replaced and you shouldn't really just be choosing a guitar cause it has pickups in it that you heard were good. Find a guitar that actually plays nice for you and then worry about the pickups and stuff after. 
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Another option is MIJ LP copies from Tokai, Greco, Burny, Epi, Edwards, Orville, etc.

The latest MIJ Epi I got is superior to the Epis I've tried at bigbox music stores like GC, SamAsh, etc., and it's ~$450 and minty.

I'm so not a fan of cheap Gibsons. I really don't believe Gibson hits its stride until they get into the trad Pros and the like, and honestly, if I want the real Gibson experience, I'm looking at prices well above that. I know there are folks that think their $500-1000 Gibson is the bomb. I'm just not one of them. 
Quote by Ippon
Another option is MIJ LP copies from Tokai, Greco, Burny, Epi, Edwards, Orville, etc.

The latest MIJ Epi I got is superior to the Epis I've tried at bigbox music stores like GC, SamAsh, etc., and it's ~$450 and minty.

This.

The MIJ guitars are a lot better made than the Chinese Epiphones. And many of them are better than the Gibsons too.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I vote for the real one, her name is Gibson Les Paul Tribute           

My 2017 Gibson Les Paul Tribute